English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 January 2003, 19:51   #1
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Dead and dying!

THis is how i feel at the moment after one of my A1200s seems to have packed up, early last week I started getting graphical glitches in games and workbench, now almost everything runs with all the colours and graphics distorted!

This one is a completely standard Commodore A1200 i have not altered in any way (unlike my others ) so can anyone tell me what the heck is going on?

Is this problem terminal??
Old 30 January 2003, 01:43   #2
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Maybe the psu dying ? The standard A-1200 psu is very weak and it is saver to use a A-500 psu which is stronger.
Old 30 January 2003, 03:41   #3
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Im using a modified 300w PC psu now and still getting the same problem
Old 02 February 2003, 19:42   #4
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

If I remember correctly, this is a sign of an overheating Alice chip.
Old 03 February 2003, 20:48   #5
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Baring in mind i dont have any a1200s I particularly want to use for spares can anyone sugest a solution for this problem please??
Old 03 February 2003, 22:05   #6
Amiga1992

Try running it with the case open and check for Alice overheating. It shouldn't be overheating, but if it is, a quick, temporary fix could be heatsinking the bitch. Most probably, if you do this, you won't be able to close teh case back, though!
Old 03 February 2003, 23:29   #7
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
for a better quick fix, use some heat transfer compound and fix a small aluminium block (I've seen it done with coins and steel washers) to alice, put some more on top of it and put the original shielding back on (if you still have it), then to can use the entire metal sheilding as a heatsink
Old 06 February 2003, 10:27   #8
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Have done this and it seems to be working ok now but after about an hour or so still gets the same problems

This "was" the a1200 I wanted to tower up but it looks like im gonna have to root around for another one
Old 07 February 2003, 01:55   #9
Miggy2TheMax

Sounds like the guys here are right about the heating problem ( didn't know that the 1200 had heating problems .. learn something new everyday! ) try mounting one of those low profile fans on the heatsink, that should provide it with more cooling than just a heatsink, hopefully enough so that the problem does not come back.
Old 07 February 2003, 03:49   #10
jmmijo

Another thing that you could check for is to see if that chip is mounted in a socket vs. being soldered to the motherboard. If it's in a PLCC socket, these are notorious for working the chip seated into it loose and will cause problems, look for the A500 Agnus chip problem for solutions if this is the case. Perhaps just a complete removal then check for any problems like bent/broken pins and/or contacts then look for any burnt marks on the chip and motherboard. Clean this area if neccessary with compressed air etc...

As Miggy mentioned try a slim line fan, i.e., the kind for 1U server cases work really well. Also some older 486/Pentium fans will sometimes work too
Old 07 February 2003, 07:23   #11
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by jmmijo
Another thing that you could check for is to see if that chip is mounted in a socket vs. being soldered to the motherboard. If it's in a PLCC socket, these are notorious for working the chip seated into it loose and will cause problems, look for the A500 Agnus chip problem for solutions if this is the case. Perhaps just a complete removal then check for any problems like bent/broken pins and/or contacts then look for any burnt marks on the chip and motherboard. Clean this area if neccessary with compressed air etc...

As Miggy mentioned try a slim line fan, i.e., the kind for 1U server cases work really well. Also some older 486/Pentium fans will sometimes work too
Good suggestion jmmijo and the 500's are truely classical examples of the seating problems you discuss! The 1200 on the other hand escapes the "seating problem" because all chips except the roms are soldered on board (surface mounted).

Each time the socketing problem is mentioned I find myself digressing about the "Atari twist" story. so here goes .. I read a while back in a trouble shooting guide that atari's chips would develop seating problems and the easiest way to fix it was to grab the atari at each end and twist each end in opposite directions therefore called the "Atari twist". This had the effect of fixing the problem by re-seating all the chips on the mobo... what a laugh that gave me when I first read about that... Arg! ok maybe thats a bit geeky of me