English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 October 2009, 17:14   #1
Gray Ghost

Partition PART OF PC Hard Drive for Winuae

Done`s anybody know the number to partition a hard drive for winuae I did see it once but I have forgot it I think it might have been 18 or 12.

Old 28 October 2009, 17:25   #2
Photon

Believe me, you don't have to partition a HDD for use in WinUAE. Just create a folder and assign it to be DH0: in WinUAE! (Press F12 for options, "Add Directory" in harddisk panel).

(If you are setting up a harddisk for use in a real Amiga, attach it with a USB-IDE adapter or connect it like a normal harddisk to the motherboard with the IDE flatcables.)

Is there a special reason you must reserve a partition for WinUAE? It's not a requirement for WinUAE, and I see no special application where it's needed.
Old 31 October 2009, 12:32   #3
Shadowfire

I actually don't recommend doing that (mounting a directory as a hard disk partition) due to the wonkiness with the way NTFS and Amiga handle special characters (or, more specifically, characters which are special to Windows, but not to AmigaDOS).

Better off setting up a hard disk file instead. That way, you're not tempted to unzip an Amiga file to your Amiga disk using a PC program, which is a recipe for all kinds of trouble. Mount a PC partition, move your zip files there, and use an Amiga unzip program to unzip to an Amiga hard disk file.
Old 31 October 2009, 14:10   #4
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I can't see any advantage over just using a folder for a hard drive.

I'd just do that