English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 February 2019, 13:19   #1
drHirudo
Amiga user

avi recording audio problem

Thanks for the update.

I am getting some weird recording bug that appears on slower machines, but not on my faster machines.

The bug is that sometimes the recorded audio in the avi file gets out of sync and totally garbled.

Here is the output config.
https://imgur.com/a/sBoTRXk

And in Sound Emulation I've turned off "Automatic switching" as suggested in other threads. Any clue how I can avoid the sound problems and record flawlessly on slower machines (Core Duo or G4400)?

Last edited by drHirudo; 12 February 2019 at 13:23. Reason: Image
Old 12 February 2019, 18:10   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks but can't anyone report any bugs or problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
I am getting some weird recording bug that appears on slower machines, but not on my faster machines.
This can't be 4.2.0 specific.. Nothing has changed in recording. As usual, this thread is only for 4.2.0 specific problems.
Old 12 February 2019, 19:43   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Moved from beta thread.

Does it only happen in fastest possible cpu mode?
Old 12 February 2019, 19:51   #4
drHirudo
Amiga user

Here is the CPU and FPU settings that I use:

Old 13 February 2019, 08:11   #5
drHirudo
Amiga user

I am trying to reproduce the bug with cycle-exact setting, but it doesn't appear yet.

Seems like the CPU Emulation in fastest possible mode utilises too much resources and the CPU can't cope with the recording. So, sound desynch happens and then the whole recording of sound gets garbled.
Old 13 February 2019, 08:50   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I don't know how is WinUAE handling the recording and don't know if you would consider it a valid comparison Toni but did you (@drHirudo) tried to record with an external tool to check if "the recorded audio in the avi file gets out of sync and totally garbled" also ? (with same output container, same output codecs, same resolution, etc.)

The point here is not to compare WinUAE recording with another solution, only to check if WinUAE is, as you think, eating too much resources that the recording of sound gets garbled.
Old 13 February 2019, 09:16   #7
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I don't know how is WinUAE handling the recording and don't know if you would consider it a valid comparison Toni but did you (@drHirudo) tried to record with an external tool to check if "the recorded audio in the avi file gets out of sync and totally garbled" also ? (with same output container, same output codecs, same resolution, etc.)

The point here is not to compare WinUAE recording with another solution, only to check if WinUAE is, as you think, eating too much resources that the recording of sound gets garbled.
This issue comes when using WinUAE's internal recording. When using external recorder (OBS) it doesn't happen.
Old 13 February 2019, 16:16   #8
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
This issue comes when using WinUAE's internal recording.
Okay, WinUAE beta just crashed, while recording. Here is the crash dmp file if that helps:

https://ufile.io/oqu7h
Old 13 February 2019, 16:49   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

JIT enabled makes dump files useless.

Fastest possible is not that compatible with recording because emulated CPU speed depends on how much there is free time and if recording requires more time (and recording buffer is full = emulation needs to wait): emulated CPU may run far too slowly.

In non-fastest possible modes result is always perfect, including zero sound latency in recording, even if single frame emulation takes 10 seconds and sound glitches horribly during recording.
Old 13 February 2019, 17:01   #10
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
JIT enabled makes dump files useless.

Fastest possible is not that compatible with recording because emulated CPU speed depends on how much there is free time and if recording requires more time (and recording buffer is full = emulation needs to wait): emulated CPU may run far too slowly.
Okay, is there a possibility to set cycle exact speed for A4000/040 or A4000/060?
Quote:
In non-fastest possible modes result is always perfect, including zero sound latency in recording, even if single frame emulation takes 10 seconds and sound glitches horribly during recording.
I see options for A500/A1200, but no options for accelerator boards speeds (i.e. blizzard 1240/1260/viper etc....). Cycle exact is giving me option to speed the processor though.
Old 13 February 2019, 17:03   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is no need for cycle-exact (and it isn't accurate in higher CPU modes anyway), just select approximate CPU speed and increase CPU speed slider if speed seems too slow.
Old 27 February 2019, 22:17   #12
michaljarz

Hi.
(sorry for my english)
I would give a few words from me a little. I noticed that there is a problem with recording the sound on the old computer. On the I5-7200U Win10 laptop, everything is OK, but the Athlon II X2 250 WinXP creates a problem when recording when the image is in interlace mode. I have included sample logs:
- I start the A600 in Quickstart mode,
- I choose a floppy disk,
- run emulation,
- start recording to avi,
- in the meantime the image switches to PAL interlace and then ... the sound being recorded is played back at twice the speed.

Everything was fine for version 3.5.0, it started to happen from version 3.6.0 (exactly from 3.6.0b6).
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (14.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (14.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: uae config-a600-test.uae (11.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 01 March 2019, 18:12   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaljarz View Post
Hi.
(sorry for my english)
I would give a few words from me a little. I noticed that there is a problem with recording the sound on the old computer. On the I5-7200U Win10 laptop, everything is OK, but the Athlon II X2 250 WinXP creates a problem when recording when the image is in interlace mode. I have included sample logs:
- I start the A600 in Quickstart mode,
- I choose a floppy disk,
- run emulation,
- start recording to avi,
- in the meantime the image switches to PAL interlace and then ... the sound being recorded is played back at twice the speed.

Everything was fine for version 3.5.0, it started to happen from version 3.6.0 (exactly from 3.6.0b6).
Does it work correctly if you change Display panel interlaced display mode to "Double, Fields"?
Old 02 March 2019, 08:09   #14
michaljarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does it work correctly if you change Display panel interlaced display mode to "Double, Fields"?
Yes, it's working fine now. Big thx
Old 02 March 2019, 13:22   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I thought so

Unfortunately I am not sure how to fix now "broken" normal doubled interlace because now it is anymore good idea to record every field in all modes.

It should record same frame twice when recording was started at full frame rate non-laced and mode later changed to doubled (non-field) interlace but thats easier said than done without causing other side-effects..