English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 August 2009, 08:58   #1
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
PCMCIA Network card problems

I have my Amiga 1200 / B1230-IV connected to the internet via PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor Netgear FA411. I use Miami as a TCP/IP stack and cnet16.device. I use DHCP for IP, mask, gateway etc. It all worked reliably for cca 1 year. But last 2 weeks a problem occured twice: Miami tells me "I can't determine your IP address" and refuses to connect. I checked everything - HW (card, cables, switch, all resetted, unplugged/plugged etc.) and SW (I tried to set the Miami up again, tried to change IP to static, cardreset etc). Nothing helped, until I took my Netgear and plugged it to the Windows XP notebook. It connected to the net normally, then I pulled the card out and connected to the Amiga again. It worked fine then. For cca 4 days, when the problem occured again and I passed the whole HW/SW check procedure once more. The connection to NB helped again.

I still can't figure out what causes this problem and why the solution is so bizarre. It appeared first after I completed the game Deliverance (WHD Load) and rebooted my Amiga.

I haven't played any game since, except Slamtilt (cracked, standart non-WHD installation), but I played it more times between, when it suddenly happened. I don't know if there is any relevance to those games. I always disable Miami before I start to play games, especially WHD installed (game usually freezes if the Amiga is connected to the internet during playing).

Did anyone meet the similar problem, or has any idea what could cause it and what could be the simpliest solution?
Old 25 August 2009, 15:09   #2
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Greetings,
I was using a Netgear WRT854 wireless router for awhile, until one day, like magic, the firmware decided to corrupt itself. Then dealing with Netgear and their cuss stoma service.

Do some reading around the net regarding that model, I would be surprised if you didn't turn up plenty of problems with it.

In regard to plugging it into the PC, there may be some pecularities, as the Amiga is probably running a peculiar spec, I know that when my 2000 is connected to my Belkin router, naturally it has no MAC address, just as an example.

Paul