English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 11 November 2019, 23:49   #1
Nightshft

Test Drive 2 Samples and rpck format

I just took a look at the samples of "Test Drive 2" which are on a folder on the disk and 2 are in 8svx format and fine and 6 are in raw format and fine, but 3 are compressed/altered in some way.

The files start with "rpck" about which I didn't find a lot of info. Only that it is rare and not efficient.

XFD has a "rpck" slave so xfdDecrunch should be able to decrunch it, but it just prints"not crunched".
xfdList which is like "list" but annotates if files are crunched also recognizes all these files as "Not crunched or linked"

I eventually found this site which also links to an archive with an rpck slave for xfd including the asm source. I exchanged it with my existing one, but still no cigar

I also tried to crop the first bytes as the data continues with "FORM" and "8SVX" which would be the normal sample file header, but -like expected- the sample is not correct then.

This is not important to me, it was just out of curiousity. Or maybe because it's a quick challenge. I've never used xfd before, so maybe somebody just knows more?

It's also perfectly possible that the files are obfuscated and the "rpck" header is just a red herring. Although it would have been much easier to just xor them for example and dont add any header. (Trump would say: more blurred, less work, good idea!)

These samples are in the "sfx" folder of the "Test Drive 2" Disk. I've uploaded it to the zone.

PS: There is also a file named "song" which probably is the title melody. It consist of an executable part and samples if somebody wants the challenge to make it play the music.