English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 November 2021, 07:17   #21
Zippy Zapp

So is this for sure happening? I hope so as I did enjoy the US mags back then. I did also occasionally get Amiga Format Magazines as my local book store used to also carry some of the import mags with cover disks.
Old 21 November 2021, 14:29   #22
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I have not heard anything back from Jason Compton even though I tried to get an update from him so I guess he is not interested or does not want someone else to take over the magazine. So this means that I would need to start a new magazine, in the Amiga Guide format. I already have a few people who are willing to contribute articles/guides so I think I will go ahead with the project just not in the Amiga Report name. Have to think of a name for the new magazine then, so if anyone has any ideas for a name please feel free to post them here. I will start to get the magazine together and contact contributors then, if anyone else is interested please contact me. If we distribute the magazine via Aminet and EAB it might be a good start to it. So I will try to keep you guys updated here, but it looks like we will start the magazine without the Amiga Report heritage or name.
Old 22 November 2021, 00:14   #23
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
Have to think of a name for the new magazine then, so if anyone has any ideas for a name please feel free to post them here.
That's good it frees you up from being tied to a particular format or style. As much as I'd love to have Amiga in the name I think it risks asking for drama, with one possible exception below. There are also many ways to enjoy Amiga productivity outside of Amiga hardware, so maybe it's less important. Anyhow, whatever you choose I hope these offer some inspiration.
  • Amazing Amy
  • CBM User
  • Practical Workbench
  • 68k Observer
  • Modern Amiga Guide (I like the abbreviation MAG mag)
  • Aminet Review (I assume the mag will be distributed on aminet)
  • Boing Magazine
  • What IFF?
  • Retro Shopper
  • Migmag (a pun of the old Mixmag DJ magazine)
  • The Guru Magazine
Old 22 November 2021, 00:21   #24
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you for the suggestions! Some great ideas there, I particularly like, What IFF?, Aminet Review and The Guru Magazine.
Old 22 November 2021, 00:27   #25
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

What IFF has a great ring to it.
Old 22 November 2021, 00:28   #26
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Plus 2 then for `What IFF?`
Old 22 November 2021, 08:56   #27
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Put me down for the Aminet Review!
Old 22 November 2021, 09:28   #28
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Aminet Review does have a great ring to it and being that the magazine will be distributed that way it does kind of make sense.
Old 24 November 2021, 05:03   #29
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

So the magazine is slowly going ahead now, we have Stevelord onboard to write some very interesting and useful articles, I have started setting it out in AmigaGuide, we will try to do duo AG/PDF format later on but things are now moving on. I am leaning heavily on "WhatIFF?" so that is the working title for the moment. Just need to get some other contributors onboard but I think this is going to work out nicely. It is going to be quite a bit different from the current crop of magazines since there will be no games, just creative ideas and how to use the Amiga
Old 25 November 2021, 23:54   #30
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

So the magazine is taking shape now, I have been working on the simple layout in AG, and am waiting on articles now from 2 very technical people, I have finished the Lightwave 3D 3.5 installation article, and some hardware reviews. At the moment it is called What IFF? but I am not 100% sure yet since I do like the name Aminet Report. The magazine is not much yet but at least I think it will cover things that the other magazines are not. Once again if there is anyone else interested in submitting something please contact me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 16.47.21.png
Views:	86
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	73925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 7.52.49.png
Views:	68
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	73926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 7.52.54.png
Views:	66
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	73927  
Old 26 November 2021, 10:39   #31
stevelord

Just a heads up, when talking to people about the zine I'm getting much better reactions calling it What IFF? than from calling it Aminet Report. I think What IFF? is more memorable for people.
Old 26 November 2021, 23:10   #32
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Yes, I have been having the same response from people as well, I am changing it back to WhatIFF?. Thanks for the heads up
Old 27 November 2021, 00:07   #33
Pyromania

What’s an IFF?
Old 27 November 2021, 07:46   #34
PerspexSphinx

Personally, I think What IFF? is a Great name!
Old 27 November 2021, 08:45   #35
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerspexSphinx View Post
Personally, I think What IFF? is a Great name!
Agreed and Aminet Review sounds like it's going to be a review of Aminet software to me. Perhaps you could have an Aminet Review section and have the best of both worlds!
Old 27 November 2021, 09:07   #36
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

Thank you guys for the comments, it is a unique sounding name that rolls off the tongue and makes you think.
Old 28 November 2021, 03:18   #37
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

The magazine is now moving ahead faster with new people coming on board, it is getting quite exciting since it becoming very much what AmigaWorld was like, loads of technical guides and reviews Oh and so the title is cemented now, WhatIFF?
Old 28 November 2021, 18:41   #38
Vstech

I'd be worried that marvel or disney will start a lawsuit over what iff... pretty close to their new series and comic titles...

maybe a spin of what IFF...

IFF Meditation?
Old 29 November 2021, 23:54   #39
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

The magazine will probably not pop up on their radar considering it will be free and available via Aminet, plus it`s about the Amiga. Though I am thinking of doing a website as well so it will be interesting to see if they have already bought the domain name WhatIff?.
Old 30 November 2021, 04:18   #40
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

We will be adding a new section to the magazine, Amiga experiences, here each issue someone`s experience with the Amiga will be published. This can be from anyone, so if anyone is interested in writing about their experience please contact me here. I always have enjoyed reading about the experiences here on EAB and thought it would be nice to give a whole page to people. Looking forward to hearing your stories