English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 December 2002, 22:29   #1
NytroX86

The Sequels you want

I've been thinking about old Amiga games I wish had a sequel. Not necessarily an Amiga sequel, but I want to see the mbrought up to date with more modern technology. I can think of a few great candidates. First I would love to see a PC sequel of Liberation, so Captive 3. I can't think of any game since of the same style.
Next up I want an update of UFO: Enemy Unknown. There was one in the works but I think it got canned. It was going to replace the tactical phase with a team based FPS, I'm not so sure thats a good idea, and I suppose keep the geoscape part the same. I have heard reports another developer has continued the project?
Another couple of games I want a proper sequel for are Settlers and Choas Engine. I want sequels that retain the style of the original game. In my opinion Settlers has been spoilt by changing the system (Settlers 2 was okay) and Choas Engine 2 apparently went for short, frantic levels that didn't work very well. Maybe the Bitmaps could make Choas Engine 3, and have a 4 player mode which could be co-op or against.
I've already gone on enough. Anyone else have any sequels they wanna see?

Old 03 December 2002, 22:51   #2
Djay
95th User

i would like an Bitmaps Collection... that has the original games... plus a version of each game with enhancements, imagine Chaos Engine crossed with Loaded (PSX)...

a 3D version of Turrican would be nice (like nintendo have done with metriod)

.... please don't kill me Akira
Old 03 December 2002, 22:58   #3
NytroX86

I wouldn't want to 3d-erize games, especially not Chaos Engine, because the originals would almost certainly be better. I would want to retain of much as the original game as possible and really only want better graphics and some additions like more weapons and stuff.

Old 03 December 2002, 23:02   #4
Djay
95th User

Loaded still his a top down viewpoint, just has lighting effects and zoom etc..
Old 03 December 2002, 23:04   #5
NytroX86

Oh... but wasn't Turrican a side scrolling shooter? Wouldn't putting that into 3d spoil the gameplay? Than again I don't know what the 3D version of Metroid turned out like, I assume you've played it?

Last edited by NytroX86; 03 December 2002 at 23:16.

Old 03 December 2002, 23:11   #6
Djay
95th User

true...

Metriod ROCKS!!! btw

ok.. maybe... we could have "TEKKEN" style 3d graphics for Turrican, slight rotation etc...
Old 03 December 2002, 23:24   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I would like to see an updated Cadaver. Keeping the same style of graphics, just super clear n colourful and new.
A decent sequel the Chaos Engine and also a FPS version as I think this would work really well.
Old 04 December 2002, 00:32   #8
fiath

Cadaver - yes, I vote that one too.
Old 04 December 2002, 00:34   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

An FPS with the graphical style of Chaos Engine would be interesting to see... still I wouldn't like to see Chaos Engine as an FPS.

UFO got at least 2 sequels, AFAIK, both for PC. Maybe there are even more sequels.

I personally think most classics should be where they are. Don't touch them, they are classics for a reason, and they don't need any "update". Most games I love are just TOO DAMN GOOD , and they don't have any room for "enhacements". Yes, you can probably make their gfx better, but this makes no difference to the gameplay.

But yet, I can mention a game I would like to see brought to the new millenium: Stunts (or 4D Sports Drive , as you wish). Better graphics, more cars, a more flexible track editor (Athoulgh the track editor is already VERY flexible), better A.I. , more cars on track, more stunts, and a multiplayer mode would make this THE racing game to finish all other racing games.
Old 04 December 2002, 00:50   #10
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
An FPS with the graphical style of Chaos Engine would be interesting to see... still I wouldn't like to see Chaos Engine as an FPS.

I personally think most classics should be where they are. Don't touch them, they are classics for a reason, and they don't need any "update". Most games I love are just TOO DAMN GOOD , and they don't have any room for "enhacements". Yes, you can probably make their gfx better, but this makes no difference to the gameplay.

I dont see why people dont want to see new versions of old classic games.
If they made a 3D FPS Chaos Engine and it stunk, Id just think ' oh well, never mind'. It wouldnt change my opinion of the original in any way so why not?
Old 04 December 2002, 08:13   #11
Drake1009

After UFO Enemy unknown they made X-com terror from the deep. X-com apocalypse. X-com interceptor and X-com Em@il. The Email one was ok but the interceptor game was crud beyond recognition.

As for turrican. If you made it tekken style it'd fit way too little on the screen at the time since the figure fills up a darn lot of the screen. If you want a shooting platformer where you see some 3D but still feel like a 2D then I think I've mentioned it way too much because I like the game.

I would really like to see a followup on Abe's oddysee ON PC (Damn you MS for buying off the team to make it X-box exclusive). Also a new Flashback. I'm not talking 3D flashback like F2B but a classic platformer with a little different plot.
Old 04 December 2002, 10:13   #12
Guede

There are quite a few games that I wouldnt mind seeing sequals of. Such as most of the Bitmap Bros games as has already been mentioned. But there are two games I would really love to see sequals for as they where and still are two of my favourite alltime games.

Moonstone - An updated version of this with more locations, more quests and many other enhancements would be awsome. If it turned out right I'm sure I would spend many hours playing it, just like I did with the original.

Pirates - This game is the one game that I find myself playing regularly even 15 years after having bought the original C64 version (I also bought it on Amiga and PC). Usually I get bored of games pretty bloody quickly but this is a game I will never tire of playing.
Old 04 December 2002, 10:38   #13
oldpx

I don't want any sequels. They usually ruin a good game so I'm not taking this risk

Old 04 December 2002, 11:20   #14
kriz

hehe a game I always have wanted, Stunt Car RAcer 2 !!! Better gfx, better sound and a network option.. yummie
Old 04 December 2002, 11:24   #15
RetroMan

I would vote for a sequel to Ports of Call with more nifty little features
Old 04 December 2002, 11:25   #16
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Lightbulb

Here's a couple that might work...
Stunt Car Racer-more believeable Computer AI, more stomach churning tracks etc.

Cruise for a Corpse-although not strictly a rehash of the original per se', with the "detective" character, it could've paved the way for a "series" of mysteries & settings/locations. Unfortunately, point n'clicks have been rendered near lifeless thanks to Myst clone crap. Fingers crossed Revolution software succeed with Broken Sword 3.
Old 04 December 2002, 11:35   #17
Ian
Global Moderator

Even if Broken Sword 3 is rubbish it'll still be better than those "click on the pretty picture" type of adventure games ... They suck IMO.
Old 04 December 2002, 12:32   #18
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Stunt Car Racer-more believeable Computer AI, more stomach churning tracks etc.
i've never seen a game like stunt car racer on any format...

...Stunt Car Racer 2 would work really well.. on todays platforms
Old 04 December 2002, 12:40   #19
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

Yep, my point exactly! No 2D to 3D spoiling issues either! With today's 3D hardware, it'd be perfect. Somone should tell Geoff Crammond to stop doing ultra serious F1 type games & get back to his wonderful innovative gaming roots!
Old 04 December 2002, 12:41   #20
maddog

Wasn't there already a 3D version of Turrican? Years ago I remember hearing news that Factor5 was making a 3D game based on Turrican, although they changed the name because of copyright problems. Can't say if it was worthwhile since I never saw it.

Strider 2 (on the arcade or PSX) was another successful 3D translation, so fingers crossed!