English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 June 2020, 13:56   #1
rjd324

Checkmate CF card pass through

I cannot seem to find what I am looking for.

I am searching for a CF pass through connector. I have the checkmate desktop for my 500. I want to use the front bottom panel to insert CF cards. But, surely I need a pass through cable that will connect into the ACA 500+. Saying that, I have never seen one.

1. Can anyone link to a product or suggest an alternative.
2. If you buy the stock checkmate do you get a bottom panel that allows CF card insertion or do you have to buy that separetly.

Thanks.
Old 26 June 2020, 14:03   #2
Lemaru

I can't help with the first question, but regarding the front panel you get a small blanking plate in the bottom front panel. You can remove this and cut/file it to fit whatever expansions you like.

Alternatively the 3D model files are available so you could design your own mounting bracket
Old 26 June 2020, 14:04   #3
Lemaru

Something like this would solve your first issue, if you can find similar. Just have a search for CF Extension

https://www.esskabel.de/en/product/a...ender-0430ffc/
Old 26 June 2020, 17:52   #4
solarmon

Those CF extenders are hard to source.

It will be easier to use an SD extender. However, you then need to deal with having to use an CF to SD adapter; and one that has the SD slot in a convenient/suitable orientation for the SD extender.

For example, I've had to hack a PCMCIA/CF adapter for a CF/SD adapter so that an SD extender could be used:

Old 26 June 2020, 19:34   #5
gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Those CF extenders are hard to source.

It will be easier to use an SD extender. However, you then need to deal with having to use an CF to SD adapter; and one that has the SD slot in a convenient/suitable orientation for the SD extender.

For example, I've had to hack a PCMCIA/CF adapter for a CF/SD adapter so that an SD extender could be used:

This is what I am using on Checkmate at the mo, or very similar. Due to the side exit of the ribbon from the CF to SD card adapter I can only fit one card. The AUX card slot cannot be used because exiting out the side of that would clash with the other card. I do not miss the AUX card slot as I can use a Gotek or my X-Surf 500 on the ACA to retrieve files from the Internet.

Works well, I just need to tidy the cable hanging out the back of the case one day...
Old 26 June 2020, 19:49   #6
gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd324 View Post
2. If you buy the stock checkmate do you get a bottom panel that allows CF card insertion or do you have to buy that separetly.

Thanks.
The case comes with a removable panel in the centre located on the lower front of the case. You then cut it to suit your needs, it has no holes defined for SD cards or USB mounts.

I think you can buy a spare and find models to 3D print (you can pay for someone to print it for you).

Might be one here https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...elevant&page=1

Stephen has a bunch of videos on his case on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/c/StephenJon...ence/playlists
Old 27 June 2020, 19:09   #7
rjd324

Thanks for the info. So looking at the photographs: you guys are plugging into the Aca 500+ an SDtoCF adaptor. That adaptor has an extension cable that leads out to the front of your checkmate and is connected to a pure SD receiver? Basically, you are using SD cards?

Just want to make sure.
Old 27 June 2020, 19:23   #8
gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd324 View Post
Thanks for the info. So looking at the photographs: you guys are plugging into the Aca 500+ an SDtoCF adaptor. That adaptor has an extension cable that leads out to the front of your checkmate and is connected to a pure SD receiver? Basically, you are using SD cards?

Just want to make sure.
Correct.
I have mine hanging out the back, running on micro SD cards. So...

ACA500+ -> CF-to-SDcard adapter -> SDCard to micro SD adapter -> micro SD card ribbon out of case -> choice of micro SD card (3.1 or 1.3 Workbench)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4021.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	67972
Old 27 June 2020, 19:25   #9
gurth

micro SD card with a blue dot is Workbench 1.3
micro SD card with a purple dot is Workbench 3.1

SD card ribbon adapter thingy has 2 dots on it to remind me which way up the cards go in.
Old 27 June 2020, 19:33   #10
gurth

I needed to find a SD card to micro SD card adapter that did not exit out the side like in this photo. It needed to exit out the back of the SD card.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4022.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	67973
Old 27 June 2020, 19:43   #11
rjd324

If I could find a female CF interface housing I would definitely try building some simple cables.

I have some 44 core cable and have crimped many cables before. I don't know if standard 44 core would fit I would have to check and obviously remove some wires since CF is probably not 44 pin (too lazy to check now).

I am thinking of a little piece of plastic which is female CF interface on one side which is crimped to some 44 core wire (or however many wires) that at the other end is crimped to another female that connects into a simple CF receiver. No need for SD cards and all that.

But I am not sure if that would work. Searching so far, I cannot find this bit of plastic I mention. Simply a female CF interface one side and pins the other that allow for crimping.
Old 27 June 2020, 19:56   #12
solarmon

I actually use a PC slot based IDE to CF adapter that I mount on the back of the Checkmate case, so it can be accessed easily.

I did think about using an internal IDE/SD adapter with an SD extender and mount in in the front case slot, but I needed that space for a couple of switches (4MB/8MB Fast ram selector, and a DF0/DF1 selector) and the buttons and USB port for an Gotek drive.
Old 29 June 2020, 18:34   #13
rjd324

Gurth,

I have just bought exactly one of those CF Adaptors. It is exactly the same as yours. I am still waiting for the extension cable. Anyway, I can plug it into Windows fine and everything works. But, if I plug it in to the AUX ACA slot my Amiga refuses to boot. Whether there is an SD card in adaptor or not. And, when I insert it during a Workbench session I get a fast blinking (bright green/dim green) power light.

I am confused. Is there an option I am missing somewhere? Btw, I also have the ACA 1233n plugged in.

I am using: Transcend SD/HC 4GB. It has a "lock" that you can move up and down.
Old 29 June 2020, 19:36   #14
rjd324

EDIT/UPDATE:

Flashed to latest version - and it now all works
Old 29 June 2020, 20:34   #15
rjd324

Hmm, maybe not.

I am getting crazy inconsistencies here. Sometimes works, sometimes does not.

I have tried
diskpart, clean, partition and format with fat32. Various different SD cards and just get inconsistency. Even when it does boot up, if I pull out the SD card then workbench does not unmount it. If I then pull out the SD/CF adapator and replace it with a full CF card then there is nothing.

But, just using CF cards - everything works.

Very weird.

I am going to have to continue looking for a CF solution. Looks like SD cards do not like me too much at the moment.

FYI: I only use AUX to swap CF/SD cards. The boot card is always in place and I always keep that there.
And, I am using 1.3 ROMs (physically) and the Boot card is running WB1.3. But, the same situation happens when I boot with the 1.3 partition using the ACA's 3.1 software ROM.
Old 30 June 2020, 21:42   #16
gurth

The ACA500 Plus is a little sensitive to CF cards. I had the original ACA500 and that took me a good while to find a pair of CF that would and even then the AUX was prickly if I removed it while the Amiga was on - I could rarely reinsert after removal. Shudder to think how it would react with CF to Sd adapter and me removing the sd card! I might be opening the case this weekend so I’ll have a chance to tinker with AUX slot.

Have you tried formation it FAT16 instead of 32? Might be worth a punt. I run Macs and although that has the option to format drives FAT they would never work on my ACA500.

I seem to remember there is a disclaimer on the manual saying your luck will vary with CF cards.
Old 30 June 2020, 21:44   #17
gurth

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
I actually use a PC slot based IDE to CF adapter that I mount on the back of the Checkmate case, so it can be accessed easily.
I would love to mount the CF card or sdcard externally on the back via a slot, would be far tidier. May have an eBay hunt...
Old 30 June 2020, 22:16   #18
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurth View Post
I would love to mount the CF card or sdcard externally on the back via a slot, would be far tidier. May have an eBay hunt...
This is the one I use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-Flash-...t/273483375610
Old 01 July 2020, 20:28   #19
rjd324

I tried a different SD/CF adaptor and that also did not work.

I really do not want to take the risk with all these different adaptors; the risk being that it does not work.

My ACA500+'s AUX works fine with unmolested and pure CF cards and so I am going to have to search long and hard for a pure CF extender or get some parts and fix one up myself.

Jens mentions that there is no support for SD cards and that it could be a power issue when using power supplies such as the SFX power that we use for the Checkmate due to consuming from the 12v rather than the 5v: I am not an electronics expert so I cannot go any further than paraphrasing that.

Regardless, I will update if and when I arrive at a pure CF extension solution.

Last edited by rjd324; 01 July 2020 at 20:40.