English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 21 September 2023, 22:46   #361
abu_the_monkey

ok, I had an half an hour to look at this so not recommended to use this on anything you have not got a backup of. I have dropped the file extension so the file name matches the default

'mod' = AB3:Levels/Level_A/Floortile (for example)
default = AB3:includes/Floortile

version 3.7.0
includes:
loading 'mod' floortile data from the level directory if it exists (alpha)
zones that are room,above,room render with bright green outline 'F9' to toggle
clear visual control point links by point+r

! use at your own risk !

edit: I have removed this as there is a bug that is causing an illegal function call when trying to save a level

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; 21 September 2023 at 23:33.
Old Yesterday, 00:07   #362
Karlos

No worries.

Thanks to having the entire mod in version control, there's only so much harm it can come to.
Old Yesterday, 01:15   #363
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

which version are you using? I have back peddled a couple and still get some odd behaviour I didn't notice before so may have introduced a bug at some earlier stage.
Old Yesterday, 09:29   #364
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
I hadn't decided, but I see no issues with something like that. I'd leave off the extension or just call it .dat though.

AB3:Levels/Level_A/Floortile.dat

Something like this.
Could you guys please NOT choose a three-letter file extension? This is the Amiga, not a ghastly Microsoft PC...
Old Yesterday, 10:23   #365
Karlos

It's a raw, uncompressed binary file. I don't care what we call it, as long as it's obvious it's a set of floor graphics.
Old Yesterday, 10:41   #366
grond

I was only joking... But admittedly I hate how letters for drive volumes and three-letter file extensions still exist in today's computing world.
Old Yesterday, 11:04   #367
Karlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I was only joking... But admittedly I hate how letters for drive volumes and three-letter file extensions still exist in today's computing world.
But three alphanumeric characters ought to be enough for anyone!
Old Yesterday, 12:32   #368
Karlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
@Karlos

which version are you using? I have back peddled a couple and still get some odd behaviour I didn't notice before so may have introduced a bug at some earlier stage.
Currently still using 3.2.0 (01.09.2023) as I hadn't gotten round to testing the later changes and went back to poking the engine for a bit.
Old Yesterday, 12:35   #369
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Currently still using 3.2.0 (01.09.2023) as I hadn't gotten round to testing the later changes and went back to poking the engine for a bit.
Ok, I will check what I might have broken since then
Old Yesterday, 13:27   #370
Karlos

I do have another, hopefully minor, request.

Would it be possible to show the Zone Number when a zone is selected? Many tools require the selection of a zone and then highlight its walls to show that it's selected.

I can find the zone index in game with the dev builds (it's what ZI stands for) but being able to see it in the editor would be helpful.

As to why I want this, I have a sneaky plan to add an optional properties file to each level directory for modding purposes. Things I have in mind are:
- Defining zones that comprise "secret" areas
- Defining zones that trigger messages to be displayed when they are first entered. This will allow for a significant expansion of any in game narrative over the current 10 messages that have to be shared with pickups and such.
- Fine tuning PVS based render decisions. I already have the dev tools for this, for example, making sure the sky is not rendered in a zone where it's overdrawn by level geometry.

And just about anything else you can imagine triggering as a consequence of entering a zone for the first time.

Last edited by Karlos; Yesterday at 20:41. Reason: amusing typo
Old Yesterday, 20:21   #371
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
I do have another, hopefully minor, request.

Would it be possible to show the Zone Number when a zone is selected? Many tools require the selection of a zone and then highlight its walls to show that it's selected.

I can find the zone index in game with the dev builds (it's what ZI stands for) but being able to see it in the editor would be helfpuf.

As to why I want this, I have a sneaky plan to add an optional properties file to each level directory for modding purposes. Things I have in mind are:
- Defining zones that comprise "secret" areas
- Defining zones that trigger messages to be displayed when they are first entered. This will allow for a significant expansion of any in game narrative over the current 10 messages that have to be shared with pickups and such.
- Fine tuning PVS based render decisions. I already have the dev tools for this, for example, making sure the sky is not rendered in a zone where it's overdrawn by level geometry.

And just about anything else you can imagine triggering as a consequence of entering a zone for the first time.
I can look into it (I did build a version that had all the zone numbers displayed but it looked too cluttered so got rid of it, probably ok if like you request, it is only the selected zone) but first have to track down what is breaking the save function

never seems to be enough time
Old Today, 01:43   #372
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

I think I found the issue

I will do some more testing for a day or so and if no more 'new' issues present themselves (there are so many things to test now) I will upload another alpha build for testing before moving on to 'selected zone numbering'

edit: with limited testing, I have found a bug (and it has probably always been the case) where if you load a level add points then, load a different level and add a point, it adds what you asked plus an additional point in a 'random' (tbc) spot.
maybe something is not being reset correctly?

Last edited by abu_the_monkey; Today at 02:13.
Old Today, 02:10   #373
Karlos

Excellent.
Old Today, 14:16   #374
abu_the_monkey

@Karlos

here it is, a build of 3.7.0 for testing.
it reads the standard 'includes/test.lnk' when loading a level, then tests to see if the level directory contains a 'floortile' file and loads it.
all seems to work as it should, but, use at your own risk
Attached Files
File Type: lha LevelED.LHA (239.5 KB, 1 views)
Old Today, 14:20   #375
Karlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu_the_monkey View Post
@Karlos

here it is, a build of 3.7.0 for testing.
it reads the standard 'includes/test.lnk' when loading a level, then tests to see if the level directory contains a 'floortile' file and loads it.
all seems to work as it should, but, use at your own risk
Does it always load the test.link file? I assumed it probably cached some facts in memory. That could be an issue for my mod as it's not stored in the includes directory. I usually manually load it in from the ab3:HighSpec/Includes directory (I could assign that I so it becomes the default, I suppose).