English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 25 October 2013, 22:45   #1
Dic_Ray

Problem with fullscreen mode in OS X (Maverick?) on Retina screen?

I can't get fs-uae to show me the full content in fullscreen mode under Mac OS X. I use a 15,4" MacBook Pro Retina. Only in windowed mode I see the whole picture. Is there any hidden file, which sets the resolution in fullscreen. Also fullscreen-mode = fullscreen-window didn't help.

Edit: When I set fullscreen-height and fullscreen-width to a certain value, it doesn't center the correctly. AFAIK in former Versions fs-uae automatically adjusts the screen size and positions, didn't it?

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 01 November 2013 at 18:06. Reason: typo and addition
Old 01 November 2013, 18:04   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dic_Ray View Post
I can't get fs-uae to show me the full content in fullscreen mode under Mac OS X. I use a 15,4" MacBook Pro Retina. Only in windowed mode I see the whole picture. Is there any hidden file, which sets the resolution in fullscreen. Also fullscreen-mode = fullscreen-window didn't help.

When I set fullscreen-height and fullscreen-width to a certain value, it doesn't center the correctly. AFAIK in former Versions fs-uae automatically adjusts the screen size and positions, didn't it?
Hi, there hasn't really been any video output-related changes in FS-UAE for a while. Have you perhaps upgraded to Maverick and if so, does that correspond to when the problems started appearing? (I haven't heard reports of video problems with Maverick, but it could be a possibility).

In any case, please upload Documents/Cache/Logs/fs-uae.log.txt, and also post a screenshot illustrating the problem!
Old 01 November 2013, 18:31   #3
Goingdown

I tested FS-uae on Macbook pro (older non-retina model) with Maverics, and fullscreen seems to work correctly without any adjustments. So this seems to be resolution issue?
Old 02 November 2013, 00:30   #4
Dic_Ray

No, it's no Mavericks specific problem, in my mind it's related to the 4x resolution. I bought my Retina 15" MacBook in April this year and have the fullscreen problem since that. The real resolution of the Retina 15" MacBook is 2880x1800 the double from 1440x900. The Retina 13" MacBook has 2560x1600, the double from 1280x800. So I guess it is related to the fullscreen position recalculation, that fullscreen picture is 4x bigger than on normal MacBooks. Btw. this could be a problem for Windows 8.1 too, as it recalculates the Resolution on Retina display. Atm I can't send you the fs-uae.log.txt and screen shots, but will do so later.
Old 06 November 2013, 22:32   #5
Dic_Ray

Hello Frode,

I could reproduce a reaon for my fullscreen-problem. I used Windows 8.1 which has now also an autoscale mode for retina displays. In the display settings, there is a slider to change the size of icons from smaller, middle to bigger. Under this setting, there is a checkbox to activate the former nanual scaling. After activating this one and select a 100 % or 125 % scaling, fs-uae works perfect in fullscreen mode. But as soon, I choose 150 % or bigger, the wrong behaviour came back. I also took a look in the fs-uae.logs of these two variants, but couldn't see a certain value for this. After this success I tried to reproduce it under Mac OS X, but without luck. Even a nanual change to the highest possible resolution (2880 x 1800) didn't work.

Frode, how could I help to make fs-uae a bit more flexible for autoscaling on retina machines?

Thanks for the best AMIGA Emulation experience.

Best
Old 06 November 2013, 22:46   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
In any case, please upload Documents/Cache/Logs/fs-uae.log.txt, and also post a screenshot illustrating the problem!
Posting logs and screenshots (when running on OS X and observing the problem) is the most useful you can do right now. Please post a screenshots without the F12 menu, and one with the F12 menu open.
Old 06 November 2013, 23:09   #7
Dic_Ray

Okay, I'll do so, but would also make clear, that it is no Mac OS X specific Problem, because I have it also under Windows as soon I use scaling bigger than 125 %.

Thanks.
Old 07 November 2013, 19:16   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Yes, it could very well be that the the problem on Windows is similar, or even identical. But I do not have any retina screen to test with, so therefore you must provide logs and screenshots so I can both see and analyze the problem (You might also have to do so more follow-up testing afterwards...)
Old 07 November 2013, 23:47   #9
Dic_Ray

I already made some screenshots under Windows with 125 % scaling und with 150 % scaling. With 125 % scaling it worked as wished, but with 150 % and bigger I can only see a part of the fullscreen. BUT the screenshots are both completly okay. Also in the fs-uae.logs, I couldn't find any suitable changes. Atm I'm to confused and have to find a way to get the needed files for you. Perhaps could you change your scaling inside the display settings under Windows to 150 %. I'm pretty sure, you will also see the wrong output. Sorry for the incovinience.
Old 09 November 2013, 14:31   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Your original problem report was with OS X, so please provide logs and screenshots for that case. We can look at Windows later if it turns out to not be the same case.

If screenshots don't show the problems, you can take a photo of the monitor instead...
Old 14 November 2013, 20:30   #11
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Any progress on getting logs / screenshots? Anyone else having a similar problem? If so, please provide logs/screens...
Old 20 November 2013, 10:04   #12
robc

Smile

Quote:
Any progress on getting logs / screenshots? Anyone else having a similar problem? If so, please provide logs/screens...
I'm not the original poster - but I'm getting the problem as well on my Retina MBP (I'm getting this on Mavericks, but didn't try when running Mountain Lion or prior OS X versions).

I should also mention that I've only checked it out with the 2.2.3 stable release. I can upgrade my install to the latest development release if need be to check as well - but didn't want to complicate the matters in case of beta issues.

You can grab my screenshots/logs from my Dropbox (as I don't think it's the right spot for the Zone, nor have I got access yet).

I'm unsure if that helps - but I'm happy to help out with more data/logs if you need them from me.
Old 20 November 2013, 21:52   #13
Dic_Ray

Sorry Frode, atm I'm not able to send you the photos of the monitor. I'm moving to a new flat and have a lot. But robc seems to have the same problem.
Old 20 November 2013, 23:33   #14
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi robc, thanks for the log and screens. I do have one question though, because something is "weird". The screens are 2880x1620 while the log file shows that FS-UAE detects 1680x1050 as the current resolution. I had the impression that "Retina displays" would have 2x the resolution of non-Retina-aware applications. And another thing is that 2880x1620 hasn't even the same pixel aspect ratio as 1680x1050.

Do you have another monitor/display connected which can explain the two different resolutions?
Old 21 November 2013, 01:18   #15
robc

Quote:
Hi robc, thanks for the log and screens. I do have one question though, because something is "weird". The screens are 2880x1620 while the log file shows that FS-UAE detects 1680x1050 as the current resolution. I had the impression that "Retina displays" would have 2x the resolution of non-Retina-aware applications. And another thing is that 2880x1620 hasn't even the same pixel aspect ratio as 1680x1050.

Do you have another monitor/display connected which can explain the two different resolutions?
Not in the case when I grabbed those - I don't really use a second display that much, and for general playing around, I'll usually use the internal display on the laptop.

Screenwise, I've got my Mac set up for a effective resolution of 1680x1050, which means it's drawing into a 3360x2100 image, then scaling that down to the panel's native 2880x1800.

Which is what I'd be expecting to still happen when it goes into Full Screen mode.

Hoping that helps out with some info - let me know if there's more investigation you need
Old 22 November 2013, 19:31   #16
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

This is what happens on my retina MacBook Pro (set to effective 1920x1200) when toggling fullscreen mode. (see attachement showing graphical corruption above and to the right of main screen)

I had to take a photo because it doesn't show up in the screenshot. It doesn't happen when starting in fullscreen, only when going from windowed to fullscreen.

I'm also getting a regular jerky slowdown (brief graphics pause every 20 seconds or so), but that's unrelated to this.

Edit: I'm on OSX 10.9, using FS-UAE 2.3.9

Last edited by mr_a500; 07 November 2018 at 16:52.
Old 23 November 2013, 23:30   #17
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, and thanks for posting logs and images. I am porting FS-UAE to SDL 2.0 (which is supposed to know about "Retina modes") to see if that alone simply fixes the problems. I'll let you know when there is a build to test (probably tomorrow, Sunday).
Old 24 November 2013, 00:54   #18
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I found a hack (RDM) that allows retina MacBook Pro to use native 2880x1800 and I can confirm that there is no graphical corruption when using "non-retina" (not re-scaled) modes.
Old 24 November 2013, 11:47   #19
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Can you Retina guys please test the following version?:
http://fs-uae.net/devel/2.3.9dev5/

This version uses SDL 2.0. The port isn't 100% sane yet, so expect some small issues, but the interesting question is whether the Retina problem is solved or not...
Old 24 November 2013, 15:01   #20
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Yes! That fixed it.

Edit: Oh wait... I was only checking for graphical corruption and there is none - but mouse movement is totally screwed up. You can't move the pointer past certain spots and those boundaries keep changing.

Last edited by mr_a500; 24 November 2013 at 15:06.