English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 July 2012, 11:05   #41
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thanks a lot Zetty

@StarEye
I wonder what they wrote as an explantion for the 79%. It's not that bad, but I guess they found a flaw (in their eyes) to give it that score.
Old 03 July 2012, 13:13   #42
roy bates

i think this whole thread will be about someones "personal taste in games" and with that in mind one mans/womans veiw on one or more game/s will be wildly different from person to person.

it will probably also matter what game genra the person also likes.
Old 03 July 2012, 13:15   #43
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Overrated:

Turrican 2 (nowhere near as good as the original, with inferior graphics, weapons and music)

Underrated:

Sidewinder (one excellent, and highly creative, shooter)
Old 03 July 2012, 14:03   #44
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
Overrated:

Turrican 2 (nowhere near as good as the original, with inferior graphics, weapons and music)
OMFG!
Burn the HERETIC!

*Ahem, my sincere apologies muzzy, it would appear that my opinion is grossly different than yours... as this is simply one of the best Amiga games, it is unfortunately for you that in this case my opinion is 100% right.... and thats just right, thats 100% internet right! which, as everyone knows is infinitely righter than anything else!

=)

In fact, you are so wrong that even Nike have added a new line of clothing to express their dismay of your comments

Quote:
Underrated:

Sidewinder (one excellent, and highly creative, shooter)
hmm.... i fear that we differ again.... in a world of horizontal shmups, this was quite average to say the most.

Last edited by Zetr0; 03 July 2012 at 14:10.
Old 03 July 2012, 14:28   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, gameplay and music (even weapons) are open for discussion, but the graphics are inferior in Turrican 2? One reason that I prefer the C64 version of Turrican 1 is that I think the conversion to the Amiga isn't that great regarding the graphics...
Old 03 July 2012, 14:52   #46
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Now now Zetty, how can you be so sure that you are 100% right about Turrican 2 when you are 100% wrong about Gods?

I'm sorry, but for me, the biggest Amiga gaming disappointment I experienced was Turrican 2. It was far too similar to the original, and where it wasn't, it was just crap. I hated all the new weapons, the tunes didn't grab me and the sprite's new animations looked horrible (I'm talking about when he fires the continuous laser gun).

As for the graphics, well, just look at this screenshot, from the first level:

So yeah. The earth looks like puke, and the sky gradient looks like pee. It was a very poor opening level too, if I recall correctly, nowhere near as engaging as I had hoped.

I know I'm going to get flamed to high hell for this, and in the end I know I'm in the minority, but I just can't help but feel that Turrican 2 was a rushed, and very mediocre, rehash of the original, which was a much better game in my humble opinion.
Old 03 July 2012, 14:58   #47
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Now now Zetty, how can you be so sure that you are 100% right about Turrican 2 when you are 100% wrong about Gods?

Touche' my dear muzkat!

but I am still 100% internet right of course!
Old 03 July 2012, 15:11   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
As for the graphics, well, just look at this screenshot, from the first level:

So yeah. The earth looks like puke, and the sky gradient looks like pee. It was a very poor opening level too, if I recall correctly, nowhere near as engaging as I had hoped.

The ground looks bland and boring, the green 'tentacles' totally out of place and the blue of the background... okay, it's blue, so I shouldn't complain. Guess it boils down to personal preference as always, but since you mentioned the firing laser animation, how about the non existing surround shot animation in Turrican 1 then? Now that looks clearly like a rushed conversion to me...

Edit: Just remembered that I always thought that the colours of the status bar at the bottom look quite random in Turrican 1.
Old 03 July 2012, 18:19   #49
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

I don't see anything wrong at all with either Turrican or Turrican II in terms of graphics sound and gameplay, that's the trouble with me sometimes, nostalgia obstructs my critical faculties. One thing I can think of is that Turrican seems harder than Turrican II but that might just be me.
Old 03 July 2012, 19:18   #50
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I'd have to say I prefer the gfx in Turrican 2 compared to 1. The originals graphics look a bit like an 8bit pixeller's first go at 16bit to me. I also prefer the way that when you 360 the gun in Turrican 2, the whole character rotates, rather than just the fire itself. Also, the status bar in the original is rather hideous.

I can't comment on the gameplay as I haven't really played the original for any decent amount of time.
Old 04 July 2012, 13:19   #51
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post

The ground looks bland and boring, the green 'tentacles' totally out of place and the blue of the background... okay, it's blue, so I shouldn't complain. Guess it boils down to personal preference as always, but since you mentioned the firing laser animation, how about the non existing surround shot animation in Turrican 1 then? Now that looks clearly like a rushed conversion to me...

Edit: Just remembered that I always thought that the colours of the status bar at the bottom look quite random in Turrican 1.
Fair points TCD, and this is all subjective of course. It's just, in my opinion, the first, sunny world in Turrican looks positively delightful. I like the light brown turf, interspersed with the weedy green tentacles that, for me, added that little artistic touch. Totally loved the simple yet pretty blue sky as well.

Oh, and I loved that boss, and that boss fight! In fact, I loved the first world from Turrican alot. It really set the tone for the game - a vibrant, colourful and compelling platform shooter that sucked you in and never let you go. The kickarse and trippy chip tunes that were playing in the background complimented it perfectly.

I liked Turrican's status bar better, too - it had a simple yet effective design, again looking pretty and colourful. Turrican 2's seems to go for that shiny steel look, but doesn't quite get there IMHO.

And your point about the gun animation has obvious merit. I just think the Turrican 2 animation looks really blocky and amateurish, and hence I prefer the static stance!

I knew I was going to get in trouble for slaying a sacred cow. Just my two cents, of course.
Old 04 July 2012, 13:38   #52
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The C64 version of Turrican 1 is really a masterpiece and of course the game is still great on the Amiga, but for me it's too close to the C64 look. Turrican 2 looks quite different on the Amiga and in my opinion at least way better (even better than the 'improved' PC version). Guess that's the main point why reviewers gave it better ratings than Turrican 1, because the second part fully looks like an Amiga game

Edit: While we're at it... I'll never get why the speech on the C64 version is longer than on the Amiga.

Last edited by TCD; 04 July 2012 at 14:33.
Old 04 July 2012, 14:30   #53
Lord Riton

Didn't play the first Turrican, but i liked a lot the 2nd one, and the music was just WONDERFULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember puting the Turrican II disk in my Amiga, just to listen to it's music, with the music menu it had
Old 04 July 2012, 14:38   #54
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
i think this whole thread will be about someones "personal taste in games" and with that in mind one mans/womans veiw on one or more game/s will be wildly different from person to person.

it will probably also matter what game genra the person also likes.
Sorry no.

If I see so much as a deluge of people crowing over the entire Tiertex back catalogue, theres going to be blood, lots of it, so much so, that no amount of the best washing powder will shift it from clothes, because those clothes will become 90% blood, with only 10% cotton left, thats how much blood there will be!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
Old 04 July 2012, 16:38   #55
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Turrican II and its colours have realy grown on me - but im so pleased someone else mentioned puke cos its true

I once uploaded a version where a changed the copper affect to all blue, anyone got it, I lost it
but maybe just a different selection of colours would be better but the game has realy grown on me even the puke

As for Gods my counsellor tells me if I keep taking the tablets ill be able to accept others are allowed opinions to
Old 04 July 2012, 18:48   #56
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Sorry no.

If I see so much as a deluge of people crowing over the entire Tiertex back catalogue, theres going to be blood, lots of it, so much so, that no amount of the best washing powder will shift it from clothes, because those clothes will become 90% blood, with only 10% cotton left, thats how much blood there will be!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!
The entire Amiga Catalogue? That was Thunder Blade according to THIS.
I quite liked the arcade game, may have to see if the Amiga version is any good.
Is it any good? or is it over-rated? I bet it's awesome.
Old 04 July 2012, 18:54   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Who checks a Sega page for that anyway?
http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_developer=602
Old 04 July 2012, 19:11   #58
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

What's this Trove of information? HOL? Never heard of it! *cough*
Old 05 July 2012, 15:55   #59
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Sorry no.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

i better put on my best t-shirt................anyway i like frontier.monkey island.dungeon master etc etc

i was never really very much into platformers...
Old 09 July 2012, 07:16   #60
fishyfish
Banned

I preferred Turrican 2 over no.1 as well, although my opinion on both isnt drastically different. Turrican2, to me, just seemed like a fine tuned version of no.1.

For the record, the 1st level on both is a bit bland, but the secret/hidden stuff in no.2 gives it an edge. I also liked the spaceship scrolling shooter levels in no.2. more than the top to bottom scrolling leels in no.1.

No.3 also had its pros vs. the 1st 2, (technically more impressive at times), but in terms of raw gameplay didnt quite stack up.

Now, as for Thunderblade, opinions seem to vary pretty heavily. Personally I liked it, especialy at the time of release. To this day I prefer it to the megadrive version, but neither have aged well.