English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 May 2021, 03:54   #1
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Scart to Hdmi upscaler and Deluxe Paint 4? Advice please.

I am looking at this Amiga & C64 RGB Scart to HDMI Converter / Upscaler.

https://www.ami64.com/product-page/a...erter-upscaler

Would such a set-up be good for painting with say Deluxe Paint 4? Would there be any display issues in terms of pixel contrast or blurriness on my flatscreen telly?

I am finding my rgb scart cable hooked up to an old crt produces blurry pixels and it is somewhat difficult to do detailed pixels. What would be the best solution to connect my a1200 to my flatscreen- it has vga, hdmi, scart etc.

Usually when using pro motion on my flatscreen I select "Video mode" in the hdmi mode settings and this produces good results. Would this hdmi "Video mode" be available to use with my a1200. I want to do all my amiga pixel art on my A1200 using d-paint 4.
Old 22 May 2021, 08:57   #2
lilwshu

That box is a low quality generic scaler and like a lot of the stuff at that store seems to be wildly overpriced:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcbazel-Con.../dp/B078PCGRZC

It’s unlikely to fix your blurry pixels as the input is analogue and there is only so much anything like that can do - you would need something like an Indivision for your 1200 to eliminate them. Alternatively if you have an A500 or A2000 lying about you can use the RGBHDMI raspberry pi adapter which gives a perfect image.
Old 22 May 2021, 10:22   #3
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Nah. Blurry, not-so-nice colours, and adds a noticeable lag. Good only for testing purpouses and emergency connections.

Go for a higher quality and longer lasting solution.
Old 22 May 2021, 15:03   #4
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
That box is a low quality generic scaler and like a lot of the stuff at that store seems to be wildly overpriced:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcbazel-Con.../dp/B078PCGRZC

It’s unlikely to fix your blurry pixels as the input is analogue and there is only so much anything like that can do - you would need something like an Indivision for your 1200 to eliminate them. Alternatively if you have an A500 or A2000 lying about you can use the RGBHDMI raspberry pi adapter which gives a perfect image.
And no such adapter exists for a1200? Indivisions are expensive i believe.
Old 22 May 2021, 15:04   #5
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Nah. Blurry, not-so-nice colours, and adds a noticeable lag. Good only for testing purpouses and emergency connections.

Go for a higher quality and longer lasting solution.
Any suggestions?
Old 22 May 2021, 15:30   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

How about one of these? https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=106873

I have a vga port on my flatscreen telly. Or is vga much of an improvement for say pixel art etc?
Old 22 May 2021, 21:21   #7
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
Any suggestions?
I'm actually in the same boat as you
Weighing my options right now. D520 is excellent, but a bit pricey. ODV adapter is kind of a new thing (although it's S-Video, not SCART) and there are no Amiga experiences yet.

Will keep everyone posted with my adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
I have a vga port on my flatscreen telly. Or is vga much of an improvement for say pixel art etc?
If you have a VGA port on your telly there is a chance that it will accept your Amiga input without additional thingamajigs. Just straight Amiga RGB to VGA. My old Sharp TV used to do that. And the picture was perfect. Definitely good enough for pixel art. VGA adapters are cheap, you should try it.
Old 22 May 2021, 23:14   #8
MrClump

I get fantastic results with an OSSC paired with my A1200, it doesn't look far off a native digital output. They're not cheap, and you've got to be prepared to roll your sleeves up to get the best out of it though.
Old 23 May 2021, 12:01   #9
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwshu View Post
That box is a low quality generic scaler and like a lot of the stuff at that store seems to be wildly overpriced
Overpriced, yes. Low quality, I disagree. With proper RGB-SCART cable results are quite good. Not as good, as Indivision of course.
Old 25 May 2021, 01:50   #10
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

So I ordered a an rgb to vga adapter and got a free vga cable from a friend. When the adapter arrives I will test to see if it improves pixel distinction on deluxe paint 4 on my flatscreen- worth a try.
Old 29 May 2021, 04:29   #11
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

https://www.amedia-computer.com/en/v...a-classic.html

Does anyone have experience with one of these? Any good?
Old 29 May 2021, 20:59   #12
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

I'm considering the same device

So, no, I don't have the first-hand experience, but everywhere I look people are happy with it and recommend it.
Old 30 May 2021, 04:47   #13
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
I'm considering the same device

So, no, I don't have the first-hand experience, but everywhere I look people are happy with it and recommend it.
I see- I did not find any reviews of it. It's pricey- I mainly want to use d-paint 4 on my flatscreen and games too are a bonus.
Old 30 May 2021, 08:35   #14
lilwshu

Similarly I haven’t seen any actual reviews of the D520, only a few similar looking people that appear when it’s mentioned - at the price I don’t know why anyone would buy one compared to something like an Indivision (maybe dislike of opening the case or many Amigas).
Old 30 May 2021, 09:48   #15
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Well, you can use it on any Amiga model (if you have more than one), and it doesn't put any strain or heat on your chip (like in the case of AGA Indivisions).

Also, yes, experiences seem to be concentrated (yeep) mostly in Germany. So visit German forums (use Google translate for help, it's decent enough).

Of course, you need to consider some extra space for the bulge hanging off the back of your Amiga

Last edited by Lord Aga; 30 May 2021 at 11:58.
Old 30 May 2021, 20:44   #16
Jope
-

Ok, I won't reiterate my experiences here, since I'm a similar looking person and own a D520. Go find my opinion elsewhere on this forum if you're interested. :-D
Old 31 May 2021, 04:34   #17
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Ok, I won't reiterate my experiences here, since I'm a similar looking person and own a D520. Go find my opinion elsewhere on this forum if you're interested. :-D
I found your comments in an old thread -yes. Did you try d-paint 4 or other paint programs? Were the pixels crisp and clear etc?
Old 31 May 2021, 10:18   #18
Jope
-

I didn't try paint programs specifically, as I can't imagine how the choice of software would make a difference in the image quality. But PAL/NTSC modes work fine and look sharp.

I can take a photo of the picture and run a few different pieces of software later today if I remember.
Old 31 May 2021, 20:17   #19
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I didn't try paint programs specifically, as I can't imagine how the choice of software would make a difference in the image quality. But PAL/NTSC modes work fine and look sharp.

I can take a photo of the picture and run a few different pieces of software later today if I remember.
Sure. Makes sense. If you have time yes thanks.
Old 01 June 2021, 00:08   #20
mathop

I was very impressed with the D520, here's a video (ignore the compression artifacts)

[ Show youtube player ]

D520 is a bit pricy though, I would think any RGB-to-HDMI adapter would work, although perhaps with some lag, but if you're running DP4 instead of games that could be tolerable.