English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 May 2021, 23:11   #1
steveis2

Access a .hdf file that won't boot

Hi,
I have lost acces to a .hdf file which means I can't boot it. This followed upgrading to update 2 in OS 4.1 and editing the startup file. I have another OS 4.1 installation that boots ok.

Is there a way to acces the damaged .hdf file from the working emulation? For example is it possible to mount the damaged .hdf file in the working emulation and if so how would I go about it?

Regards Steve
Old 06 May 2021, 09:17   #2
thomas

You can add as many HDFs to WinUAE as you like. Just add the working one first and the damaged one second.

Startup files can also be edited from OS3, so another solution is to boot from a WB 3.1 ADF and fix the startup files from there.

A third solution would be to boot from the installation CD as if you wanted to re-install the OS. You can close the installer and use the OS from CD to fix the files on the HDF.
Old 06 May 2021, 12:04   #3
steveis2

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out today.

Regards Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You can add as many HDFs to WinUAE as you like. Just add the working one first and the damaged one second.

Startup files can also be edited from OS3, so another solution is to boot from a WB 3.1 ADF and fix the startup files from there.

A third solution would be to boot from the installation CD as if you wanted to re-install the OS. You can close the installer and use the OS from CD to fix the files on the HDF.
Old 06 May 2021, 12:34   #4
Tomislav

Also make copy of that hdf and then try to access it.
Old 16 May 2021, 10:34   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveis2 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out today.
If with OS 4.1 you use the HDController "uaehfd.evice" (not recommended, it could corrupt the HardFile when copying many files), remember to uncheck "Bootable" on the second Hardfile.

Also if you use OS3 remember to uncheck "Bootable" on the second Hardfile.

Be careful if the HardFiles have the same Volume names the system may have some error requests, to avoid this just rename the volume names of the second HardFile and reboot.