English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 26 August 2020, 14:59   #3521
mulder77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Announcement about Amikit X and XE:

Any support for my icon.library installed on Amikit X or Amikit XE ends now! Distributing or installing future versions or newer builds of my library on Amikit X/XE will be illegal, and it may also result in sudden unexpected behavior or failure. The next Aminet release will indicate appropriate restrictions in the list of changes and the copyright section. The source code won't be published anymore for a while. I regret that I have to react in this way to the barefaced price policy of these commercial products selling lots of freeware. Other free software distributions are not concerned.

And what if an Amikit user wants to install the lib on his own?
Old 26 August 2020, 18:03   #3522
PeterK

It should be no problem to install a new version on Amikit 1-8, but on Amikit X and XE you can only use my libraries up to the current Build 538.

It will not be allowed to install future versions on X and XE or other commercial distros, not even by the user. And the library may switch into a very limited low quality mode after a while.
Old 27 August 2020, 09:23   #3523
mulder77

Wow, what a stupid decision.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:31   #3524
PeterK

Indeed, it's very stupid to buy freeware and pay 30, 50 or up to 80 € for Amikit.
Old 27 August 2020, 15:41   #3525
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Yeah, honestly I felt pretty embarrassed with myself after realizing that nothing I was using in Amikit wasn't already available for free off of Aminet or directly from developers. Essentially you're just paying big bucks for integration of a bunch of free software. That said, I don't really agree with tying the user's hands either, it just feels unfair for the people who bought it and still use it.
Old 27 August 2020, 22:22   #3526
mulder77

And yet it's still the user's decision whether he wants to pay money for it.
Make your library shareware or distribute it commercially, but it's non of your business who the users are paying money to.

I'm not an Amikit user, so I shouldn't care.

But this sort of childish behavior of yours is truly disgusting.
Old 28 August 2020, 15:25   #3527
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder77 View Post
And yet it's still the user's decision whether he wants to pay money for it.
Make your library shareware or distribute it commercially, but it's non of your business who the users are paying money to.

I'm not an Amikit user, so I shouldn't care.

To be honest, I think your attitude is a bit off here. Peter makes the icon library and releases it for free, why should someone else make money from his efforts?

If you don't like this, use an older version or another icon library - but it's up to Peter what he does with his creation, just as it's up to end users if they want to pay money for otherwise free software.
Old 28 August 2020, 22:09   #3528
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Do you know the reasons why Peter made this decision?

If you were the developer of icon.library would you be happy ?

Do you know how much effort it takes to bring this project to bear?
Old 28 August 2020, 23:14   #3529
Amiga1992

Quote:
What's childish is to criticize this man who has worked his ass off for years, to give everyone something amazing for free, only to have his work taken by a bunch of vultures and sold for profit, then some rando on the internet calling him "childish".

As a fellow maker of free Amiga software for a bunch of thankless gits like you, I understand his point of view, and actually think he was being very lenient about this all, I wouldn't take it with such decorum
Old 29 August 2020, 01:46   #3530
Storm
SYS64738

Yep, spot on Akira.
Old 29 August 2020, 11:27   #3531
mulder77

He may be pissed if someone bundles freeware into a commercial product. Just adjust your license and terms and you're done. I'm pretty sure the Amikit guy will comply.

But nagging the users not being able to install the package is just toxic.

Very typical for the Amiga scene unfortunately.
Old 29 August 2020, 12:17   #3532
PeterK

Quote:
... I'm pretty sure the Amikit guy will comply.
... then he can continue doing his business as usual.

No, we have discussed that already some years ago when Jan started to take 30 € for Amikit X. But he wants to earn money with his distro, although most of it is freeware. I never wanted to make any restrictions concerning the distribution of my library and tolerated his demand for making profit over the last years.

Now, after he has raised the prices again, I decided to stop supporting his products. But that won't work if he could simply make a script which downloads an update from Aminet onto the user's system and installs it or the users would pay for Amikit X and XE as usual and install the library themselves. It makes not much difference for Jan when and how the library gets installed as long as he can claim that it still works on AmiKit and he can feed his cats with caviar.
Old 29 August 2020, 15:14   #3533
mulder77

And that wouldn't be none of your business. Those are totally unnecassary fights.
Simply put in your terms that it may not be bundled nor automatically installed by and with Amikit and you're fine. Or setup some donation account and I'm sure he is willing to support the freeware authors this way.

But instead you even want to educate the users. Poor choice. Focus on your work and not so much on others.
Old 29 August 2020, 18:03   #3534
daxb

Why not continue your rant in a more detailed way, please. The entertainment level is a bit low at the moment.
Old 31 August 2020, 17:37   #3535
Amiga1992

Quote:
Very typical for the Amiga scene unfortunately.
Actually you are the very typical Amiga scene thankless hack that contributes nothing and talks abuse for free.

PeterK has so much patience he even continues to explain himself to you (he has no need to entertain a goblin of your caliber) and clearly has withstood the situation for far longer than other people would.

I for one would be happy if his software now also would not let itself be installed in any system YOU own ever again
Old 31 August 2020, 19:05   #3536
vxm

Why not ask him to pay you to use his free library? You are not obliged to use it.
It's as silly as it is coherent.
Old 04 September 2020, 19:14   #3537
ancalimon
Supernormal

I can install most of the programs included on Amikit for free. (except mui maybe) but I could never configure my Amigaos the way he did. Overall I think he deserves some credit.

As a side note, I wish PeterK's legendary icon.library was included with OS 3.2 as well.
Old 04 September 2020, 19:25   #3538
AMIGASYSTEM

It's not difficult to create a system if you are a bit of an amiga expert, this is one of my systems:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHn...Bwy_h-gAd/view
Old 05 September 2020, 05:50   #3539
Steffest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It's not difficult to create a system if you are a bit of an amiga expert, this is one of my systems:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LHn...Bwy_h-gAd/view
Yeah, but look what happened when you released it last year in August...
Creating a system is not hard, but doing in a way with an easy installer and be able to distribute it in this minefield of Amiga licenses/copyrights/big-egos and then supporting it afterwards like he does... that's no small feat.

If Jan wants to ask money for his work, he can.
If some user thinks it's too expensive, don't buy it and do it yourself.
Simple as that.

This conundrum of "can somebody include free software in a commercial package" has been solved already long time ago with the use of proper licenses.

If an author doesn't want his work to be included in other commercial software, just put a license around it.
Also simple as that.
And yes: packages like Amikit will follow that license.
Old 05 September 2020, 10:13   #3540
vxm

As simple as asking permission to distribute a freeware via a commercial distribution. It is also matter of politeness.