English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 August 2010, 15:39   #1
Bahototh

Game making

Hello,

Not really sure this is the place for this post, but here goes:

Anybody seriously interested in making games retro-style?
Looking mainly for programmers. I have looked around the pixel-graphics
forums and such, but it's hard to find people with the time to do small games.
I'm a amateur pixel artist, and would like to get some simple games going.Not necessarily strictly amiga platform, but with the feel of that great era.

I'm asking here because amiga gamers seem to appriciate the "older" style of 2d games, design over looks and so on. The start would involve simpler forms of arcade style games, and maybe we can come up with an original idea or two!

So, give a shout if you're into game programming.

Old 08 August 2010, 16:06   #2
Cammy

I'm interested in making games that will play on classic Amigas, and if someone can port them to another system that's great. A few of my friends and I have casually been working on and off on Amiga games over the last few years and we're happy for anyone else to get involved. What kind of graphics do you prefer to pixel? Space ships, animated characters, background tiles, jewels and collectibles? There are quite a few different types of games in progress that could really do with some better graphics, so let us know what you're suited to and we'll try and find some projects you may like.

I started a thread a while ago about game developers looking for help, I'll dig it up as most of the projects are still on-going and in need of help still:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=44747
Old 08 August 2010, 16:52   #3
Bahototh

games

Hi,

That sidescrolling (space-themed) sounds fun. That is what I usually draw, side mock-ups and space shooters. Any major design/style for the game?

I mostly like to do graphics for entire games, Is that good...? ))
Title screens and the like are my weak spot, but I'll try anything.

Old 08 August 2010, 17:32   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I have made the popular Amiga games Worm Wars, Africa and Saga, among others. I'll be the first to admit that my graphics skills are not the best. If you would like to redraw the graphics for some or all of these (esp. Worm Wars), that would be helpful.
Old 08 August 2010, 19:14   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@Bahototh

Why not join the 'Pixel Pushers H.Q' social group and show us what you've got?

http://eab.abime.net/group.php?groupid=56
Old 08 August 2010, 22:25   #6
Bahototh

For graphics, I like to work on original games rather than remakes. But background/tiles, sprites, anything really.

I've always been into game design so I like to plan the games, along with the programmer.
I usually try to come up with ways to improve and deepen the usual style of side-scroller/shooter/Puzzler.

The thing I'm thinking about right now would be a platformer/side-scroller like flashback
or another world but simpler, and do it in a zombie/exploring setting. I'm not sure what the graphical style would be, but I like to keep it simple, but with an distinct (here: eerie) feeling.

Another Idea: A game engine similar to the one-screen level games (rainbow islands, rick D) but with an occult/Lovecraft theme. Simple enough graphics and gameplay but with twists and traps and such. Maybe the player would work his way down through the netherworld to face demons...

For smaller games, graphics aren't that time-demanding. It's the programmer who usually have a hard time to do the code in his spare time. If any of these sounds interesting, let me hear from you. I find it the easiest way to pitch game ideas and then we work out details later.

Old 13 August 2010, 11:59   #7
Amigaman

Its nice to see some games still being developed for the dear ole' miggy.

I too do pixel art. Just managed to get my old towered 1200 up and running, will spend the weekend cleaning up and backing up the hd, and try to get some examples on my profile.

Loved to play with Blitz Basic too, but its been a loooong time
Old 22 August 2010, 23:46   #8
Genlock
Out to Grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahototh View Post
For graphics, I like to work on original games rather than remakes. But background/tiles, sprites, anything really.

The thing I'm thinking about right now would be a platformer/side-scroller like flashback
or another world but simpler, and do it in a zombie/exploring setting. I'm not sure what the graphical style would be, but I like to keep it simple, but with an distinct (here: eerie) feeling.

What about an arcade style conversion of Bloodnet, you have the Vampire theme and the parts to collect while searching , plus some tinkering in cyberspace ?

Oh well ! must find where i put that Brandy!!

Good luck with your venture Guys
Old 23 August 2010, 01:35   #9
Cammy

If any of you pixel artists are still available, there's a very worthy Amiga project in need of your talent! It's not a game, but a game launcher/file manager/front-end, something many game players would love to use on their Amigas.

Read more and offer to help here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54094
Old 26 August 2010, 08:05   #10
meynaf
son of 68k

I'm not interested in doing arcade games, but if anyone here can do gfx for RPG/strategy games, then for the code i'm your man (but Amiga, not pc).
Old 26 August 2010, 14:35   #11
Amigaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
If any of you pixel artists are still available, there's a very worthy Amiga project in need of your talent! It's not a game, but a game launcher/file manager/front-end, something many game players would love to use on their Amigas.

Read more and offer to help here:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54094

Hey, I had a snoop at this, and it sounds cool. Im a little way off being back up and running properly, really setting up a work space properly in my office, but when I am set up, if help is still needed, I am happy to offer my services, if my style fits the bill that is.
Old 26 August 2010, 14:51   #12
Amigaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I'm not interested in doing arcade games, but if anyone here can do gfx for RPG/strategy games, then for the code i'm your man (but Amiga, not pc).

As before, I am a bit busy setting myself up again, but have a look at my style, and see what you think, if it fits what you are looking for
Old 30 August 2010, 07:58   #13
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
As before, I am a bit busy setting myself up again, but have a look at my style, and see what you think, if it fits what you are looking for
Where can i find a sample of your work ?
Old 30 August 2010, 09:44   #14
Amigaman

I have a couple of pics on my profile for now.
Old 31 August 2010, 09:47   #15
Cammy

I wonder if anyone would be up to the challenge of writing a small RTS for OCS Amigas? Someone was working on graphics for a game like this that would be perfectly suited for an Amiga game, check it out: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelat...?topic=10001.0

That forum is a great place to find pixel artists for your game projects too, but you have to make sure you have something solid to show them first because there are heaps of unrealistic requests from kids using game maker programs on there.
Old 01 September 2010, 15:40   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

For strategy i'm more willing to do turn-by-turn than realtime, because the latter often end up more arcade than they should...

@Amigaman:
I've had a look at your work. Seemed good enough to me. So if you're not too rusty we could start speaking about what we may want to do as a game...
Old 02 September 2010, 11:38   #17
Amigaman

@ Meynaf:

Cool, pm me your thoughts
Old 02 September 2010, 11:55   #18
BrooksterMax

@Cammy, I very much enjoyed reading about that chaps work and how it evolved - what a sweet representation of a RTS graphics a kind of blend of C&C and Cannon Fodder for the 16bit era. Very nice. Hope someone is able to make something of that great GFx work.