English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 29 November 2016, 21:07   #1
Dr.Venom

Turrican 2 with replayer patched to use 28khz mixing?

Just curious and maybe totally impossible..

I don't know where I read it, but I vaguely remember the original A500 version of Turrican 2 having the 7 voice music mixed at something like ~14Khz.

In Eagleplayer it's possible to set the mixing rate to 28Khz. See the Eagleplayer readme http://aminet.net/mus/play/EP_TFMX7V.readme

This got me thinking whether it would be possible to patch the real (whdload) game to also use this higher 28Khz mixing rate (when on 020+ of course)? It would make an already great game even better

Does anyone with some knowledge of the topic know whether such an enhancement/patch could work?
Old 02 December 2016, 08:19   #2
BrenMcGuire

As far as I understood this is not possible. The mixing structure of TFMX requires 14khz Samples. So the source is already 14khz and cant be mixed up (or can but I think you will not earn any difference).

see here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=49
Old 03 December 2016, 17:17   #3
Dr.Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrenMcGuire View Post
(or can but I think you will not earn any difference).

see here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...6&postcount=49
According to Don Adan's TFMX7V Eagleplayer readme (point 2 under "notes" in the readme linked in the first post) it's at least possible.

But I guess it would indeed make sense to have a recording of the Turrican 2 titletune when running the game on a real A1200 (which means mixing at ~14khz) and a recording when played through Eagleplayers 28khz resampling setting on the same A1200.

That way we would have an objective comparison whether or not there's a noticable quality difference or not. I'm curious myself, so I guess somewhere down the road I'll get to that..
Old 05 December 2016, 07:50   #4
BrenMcGuire

whats the meaning behind this? are you looking for a high quality recording of the soundtrack? in the turrican anthology (from kickstarter) was an usb stick included which contains the recordings from all turrican games. but i dont remeber any specs of the recording....