English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 February 2008, 11:21   #1
tonyk

Burning files for Amiga A570 CD-Rom drive

Hi everyone,

I have an A500 with 2Mb ram and have recently picked up an A570 CD Rom drive. I decided to try and burn some public domain software from the internet on to CD-Roms using my Windows XP laptop for use on the Amiga but I've run into a problem. I've found the files on the CD-Rom have been capitalised and file extensions have been changed from things like .info to .INF

Is it a restriction of burning CDs on Windows or do I just need to use an appropriate piece of software? Sorry if this is a dumb newbie question but if anyone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or how to get around the problem (or even if it just can't be done).

Thank you for help in advance!

Old 01 February 2008, 12:28   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Amiga doesnt support Joliet, so you just have the regular 8.3 filenames for ISO 9660. If you want long filenames you need to burn in RockRidge format, you'll never do that with most PC tools. You might have to make an ISO image under WinUAE.

Last edited by alexh; 01 February 2008 at 12:36.
Old 01 February 2008, 17:36   #3
tonyk

I have a sneeky feeling it might have something to do with the ISO 9660 format but it was a bit beyond my current understanding.

I'm in the process of getting my WinUAE set up nicely. Can anyone recommendation a good Amiga CD-Rom burner?

Old 01 February 2008, 18:37   #4
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
Nero can do the trick if you manage to configure it properly
Old 01 February 2008, 19:02   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No it cant.
Old 01 February 2008, 21:19   #6
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyk View Post
I have a sneeky feeling it might have something to do with the ISO 9660 format but it was a bit beyond my current understanding.

I'm in the process of getting my WinUAE set up nicely. Can anyone recommendation a good Amiga CD-Rom burner?
MakeCD (http://makecd.core.de/)

the "last mohican" of classic AmigaOS CD burning programs, with a long development history
+ free (a free registration key is on the webpage)
+ supports MMC3 (SCSI/ATA) command set = compatible with current CD writer hardware
+ supports ISO9660/RockRidge+Amiga extensions, even Joliet if you really want it, and many other exotic things
- its UI is spartan and a bit counter-intuitive to me
- abandoned, won't be developed anymore

FryingPan (http://www.tbs-software.com/fp/)

a newly written program
+ free
+ supports (data) DVD writing
+ explicit WinUAE support (tested by the author on WinUAE)
+ actively developed (at least it was in 2007...)
- its UI is cheezy and overly simplistic to me
- more resource-hungry (not so important under WinUAE)
- not as stable as MakeCD, at least on my system...

The terminally command line oriented may even try the Amiga port of cdrtools (née mkisofs+cdrecord) on http://amiga.sourceforge.net ... the burning part (cdrecord) I didn't try but the ISO creator part (mkisofs) works well.
Old 02 February 2008, 11:28   #7
OddbOd

It is possible to create Amiga compatible CDs under Windows by using burnatonce, a basic front-end for mkisofs/cdrecord which a_petri mentioned above.

No Windows/Linux/Mac programs support Amiga specific Rock-Ridge extensions (i.e. protection bits and file comments) but long filenames and file extensions of more than 3 characters do work correctly using burnatonce and the Amiga reads such discs without problems. MakeCD is still IMHO a better option, but, if you just want to bung some files on a CD without the names getting chopped off then burnatonce will be good enough.
Old 02 February 2008, 22:51   #8
poohbear

Out of curiosity, do you know of any documentation on the structure of the Amiga-specific Rock-Ridge extensions?
Old 02 February 2008, 23:01   #9
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Out of curiosity, do you know of any documentation on the structure of the Amiga-specific Rock-Ridge extensions?
http://makecd.core.de/Rock_Ridge_Amiga_Specific
Old 03 February 2008, 07:15   #10
poohbear

Thank you!
Old 04 February 2008, 12:44   #11
tonyk

Useful info thanks guys