English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 January 2022, 12:27   #21
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ok. That would be... a monumentally strange thing to do.
Sometimes the Amiga community can be a monumentally strange place, but more often than not it's a monumentally impressive place
Old 03 January 2022, 17:12   #22
ross
Defendit numerus

Awesome work StingRay!
Can't wait to read the cracking diary.

--
A couple of years ago I also slipped into the same rabbit hole (I just checked the folder, I started the work in July 2019, abandoned and re-started it a few times).
I have my usual crack.txt ascii file in which I note the points the game is to be cracked/fixed/changed/adapted: 12KB!, usually for the difficult ones it is around 2KB.
Well, I don't know if I'll ever finish it, but this different version would have some cool features that would deserve a further release
Old 03 January 2022, 17:13   #23
Radertified

Thanks StingRay!

This is one of those games that I've always loved seeing in magazines but never played, or only booted to play for a minute. I think I might give it a serious shot one of these days.

And thanks for the accompanying WHDLoad slave. Is this one any better than the one by Harry + JOTD or is it just a new version of the slave for this particular release?
Old 03 January 2022, 20:39   #24
Photon

A nice crack by Stingray and with WHDLoad slave to go with accel fixes too, cheers to all involved!
Old 04 January 2022, 08:07   #25
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
seems some good protection system on this game?
a lot of checksum checks ouch
The protection did its job pretty well, $1900 bytes long tracks, lots of checksums and (almost) no memory for any (crack) patches as the game use the complete 512k memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
And thanks for the accompanying WHDLoad slave. Is this one any better than the one by Harry + JOTD or is it just a new version of the slave for this particular release?
The WHDLoad patch on disk 4 has been tailor made for this very release. It only supports the Scoopex crack and will never appear on the official WHDLoad site.
Old 04 January 2022, 11:55   #26
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

(How can I have missed this thread ??)

Whaou ! Thanks a lot Sting for having made this 4 disk release !
Given the teeth that have been brokwn trying to crack this one properly, I am sure it was not a pleasure party. Will read with attention your notes.
Kudos man !
Old 04 January 2022, 12:31   #27
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Thanks for this release, Santa Sting!
Old 04 January 2022, 21:38   #28
demoniac

After not taking a break on playtesting and verifying my Amiga floppy transfers for several years now, I broke down and tried this release out. Excellent work as I completed the entire game. The diary was very interesting as well.

I forgot how long the dungeon section is and I don't remember if it was difficult to pass previously.
Old 05 January 2022, 12:17   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
It's also playing the intro music faster, something that ross first noticed when looking at it!

This was one of the first things I fixed when starting to work on the game, the fix is already in my very first source from 16 June 2008. The bug is very easy to spot as the first line in the main binary is a cmp.b #50,d0 and I immediately wondered where this value was set in the bootblock. The result is dependent on the $60.w vector as there is a check for a cartridge in the bootblock. And the result of this check is passed to the main binary which in turn results in the NTSC flag for the replayer being set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I've extracted the texts of the TRAINER INFO/GAME MANUAL and RELEASE DIARY/CRACKING NOTES for my reference, but is it permitted to Zone them for anyone else?
This diary should be part of the intro only so don't add it the The Zone! please. It's a good reminder that I need to protect all texts again next time so such questions are not likely to arise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Thanks for this release, Santa Sting!
Only a week too late this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I forgot how long the dungeon section is and I don't remember if it was difficult to pass previously.
I find the castle levels quite annoying (it really was no fun to test these) as they are boring and way too long. Luckily, other levels were fun to play.
Old 05 January 2022, 13:00   #30
tolkien
AmigaMan

Great! I have been playing it and died at the second stage (Im no very good I know) but game exits with Exception "Illegal Instructin" ($10) at $5BCAA ocurred.

Im playing the WHDLOAD version in an A1200 060.

Edit: It happends every time I die
Old 05 January 2022, 14:11   #31
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
This was one of the first things I fixed when starting to work on the game, the fix is already in my very first source from 16 June 2008. The bug is very easy to spot as the first line in the main binary is a cmp.b #50,d0 and I immediately wondered where this value was set in the bootblock. The result is dependent on the $60.w vector as there is a check for a cartridge in the bootblock. And the result of this check is passed to the main binary which in turn results in the NTSC flag for the replayer being set.
I guessed as much, but I only ever saw it mentioned when ross was looking into it.

Quote:
This diary should be part of the intro only so don't add it the The Zone! please. It's a good reminder that I need to protect all texts again next time so such questions are not likely to arise.
It's why i asked as I thought it was meant to be read via the intro so that's that question answered, and seeing as you'll probably encrypt/obfuscate future releases muppets like me will be well snookered!
Old 05 January 2022, 14:30   #32
Alpha One

I am excited to see the protection against people writing the text off from screen. :-)

Quote:
Old 05 January 2022, 16:50   #33
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
I am excited to see the protection against people writing the text off from screen. :-)
Yeah, ROT13 FTW

/sarcasm off
Old 05 January 2022, 21:44   #34
seuden
uber cool demi god

Fantastic work StingRay! :-D
Old 09 January 2022, 17:29   #35
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
Great! I have been playing it and died at the second stage (Im no very good I know) but game exits with Exception "Illegal Instructin" ($10) at $5BCAA ocurred.

Im playing the WHDLOAD version in an A1200 060.

Edit: It happends every time I die

Thanks for reporting, the disk change patch wasn't entirely correct, this caused wrong data for the "Game Over" picture to be loaded, which in turn caused the replayer code to be trashed as the game found "copperlist" data at completely wrong memory locations.

I have fixed this, new slave is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: slave WrathOfTheDemon.slave (1.1 KB, 97 views)
Old 09 January 2022, 20:40   #36
tolkien
AmigaMan

Thanks StingRay! Now It works great!
Old 10 January 2022, 10:42   #37
DanyPPC

Quote:
Thanks for reporting, the disk change patch wasn't entirely correct, this caused wrong data for the "Game Over" picture to be loaded, which in turn caused the replayer code to be trashed as the game found "copperlist" data at completely wrong memory locations.

I have fixed this, new slave is attached.
Many thanks, fixed problem on my Blizzard 1230IV