English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 December 2021, 17:23   #41
jayminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob-tech-ninja View Post
Hi there guys.

So what has been your computer journey ?

1. What systems/OS's did you start with ?

I'm born in 1981 so I didn't have much to say about these things, but my older brother got us a Commodore 64 in 1987 and that's where my computer journey started! I was totally hooked on it playing games and a little later at age 8 or 9 or something I started with some simple programming in Basic. Then in 1990 we got an Amiga 500 and after that I was totally hooked and kept using Amigas (A1200 and later A4000) until about 1997 IIRC when I got my first PC.

Quote:
2. What brought you, to your Amiga ?

It was pure luck that my brother wanted one, and he had a friend at school that was selling one with lots of (copied) games that our parents got us for christmas in 1990. Then in 1994 I bought an A1200 with a 1084 and 80MB harddrive for my own money!

Quote:
3. What did you use after Commodore went bust, and the Amiga became harder
to use as a daily driver ?

A PC, I started out with a Pentium 120 which I was using for a long time, I ran a mix of Slackware Linux and Windows 95/98 on it. I really didn't like Windows back then so I mostly stuck to Linux but I did play some games so I was kinda forced to use Windows aswell.

Quote:
4. What do you use now ?

I'm still using a mix of different systems. My main PC is running Windows 10 and it's my gaming rig. I also have an installation of Linux Mint but I boot it very rarely. I always have a Linux computer in my apartment though, currently a Debian machine running as a server for some webpages, some UHCTools-stuff, Minecraft server and lots of other things. I also have a Macbook Pro as a laptop, but I'm moving away more and more from Apple.

Quote:
5. Are there any OS's that you dont use ? Why ?

Not really, I'm still not the biggest fan of Windows but I definitely think it has gotten way better in the last few years. I'm actually kinda happy now with Windows 10 and WSL has really made life easier. And with Windows Terminal and SSH and other stuff integrated I have most things I use daily bundled with the system.

I'm really not fond of older MacOS (pre OS X) but I've mostly only used them through emulation (mostly ShapeShifter) so I'm not sure how fair my view of those systems are.

Quote:
6. How do you use an Amiga now ?
Is it - Real hardware / software emulation / Raspberry Pi / FGPA / etc, etc,

I have lots of real Amigas still up and running, I usually switch them around but I keep my Vampire 500 running almost all the time, and my A1200 with Blizzard 1230 is connected most of the time aswell. I also do use emulation for convinience from time to time.
Old 26 December 2021, 22:13   #42
scuzz

Stone tablet, string, abacus, oak ogham sticks, DeLL Dimension i7 ... just your usual. Saying that I still use my Unique slide rule at times but its too clever for its own good. Anyway gotta go , we have a massively multiplayer game of 'kick the can' on the go.
Old 06 January 2022, 13:43   #43
Daedalus

Quote:
I'm relatively young compared to many Amiga users, so started a bit later than some... The first computer I used to any extent was an Atari 800XL belonging to my uncle. Loved it, and wanted one, but we weren't a well-off family and my parents weren't interested in computers at all, so I had to make do with using the BBC Micro in school (staying late to test code I'd written in a copybook the night before) and the C64s owned by many of my friends. A couple of years later, with much begging, I eventually got an Atari 800XL myself as my first computer.

Quote:
After a few years of using the Atari, I damaged it by trying to interface it with some hardware I built. I was only 10 or 11 at the time IIRC and didn't have the tools or skill to repair it, so I was without a computer. By that point, the 8-bits were at the end of their reign, and the Atari market was almost nonexistent in Ireland so repairing it wasn't really an option. A couple of people I knew had STs, and the Amiga was considered the holy grail of machines but nobody I knew could afford one. I was sometimes using 286 and 386 PCs in school at that point, but they didn't hold my attention and were expensive, so I was steering towards an ST. A couple of people I knew had A500s by then but I didn't see anything other than a few games, and nothing that really set it apart. The Megadrive was a more popular option for my 8-bit owning friends, but I wanted an actual computer... After saving up for a new machine for ages, I was looking at STs but found someone selling a second-hand A1200 (they were upgrading to a SNES), so bought that with a heap of pirated games and a few originals, and that was that. It was late 1993 IIRC.

Quote:
At some point in the mid-late '90s I acquired a 486 PC, and then a Pentium machine for the tasks that the Amiga simply couldn't do, but I still tried to use the Amiga as my main computer, upgrading it instead of ditching it for another machine. It grew into a towered machine with an '060, SCSI Hard, CD & Zip drives, graphics card, Catweasel, fast serial/parallel and many other bits. It remained my main machine well into the '00s with that setup, for some time serving as my gateway for dial-up internet by sharing the connection with my PC and PowerMac. Slowly, other tasks got transferred to the accompanying PCs as they became more capable, but it still has that hardware configuration more or less, and it still gets regular use to this day.

Quote:
4. What do you use now ?
A variety, depending on what I'm doing. In work these days, everything is Windows 10. I use a Windows 7 PC for my photography, gaming, some development stuff and some daily driving. I use Linux Mint on another machine for other daily driving tasks and for my personal laptop. I prefer Linux to Windows for most tasks, but for many things Windows is simply better suited. For an occasional change, I like to use Haiku here and there for non-critical stuff. My wife uses macOS so I use that a little bit too, including the very occasional bit of development. I really do find it very nice, and the hardware to be excellent, but unjustifiable for myself as a mere tool. And I still use Amigas a lot for leisure.

Quote:
Many, because I don't have any need, desire or hardware. But if you mean actively avoid, not really. I'd prefer to not use Windows, but the extra hassle makes that route not worthwhile for me. I've had poor experiences with Ubuntu in the past, which is why I switched to Mint years ago - that's probably the closest I'd get to steering clear of a particular OS / distro.

Quote:
Mostly real hardware, but emulation via WinUAE is frequently used for testing and development too. For casual games I have one A1200, another for hardware development, another as a music player, and my big A1200 tower for more serious tasks. A few other machines (500s, 600s, 2000s) are used for testing and dabbling but spend most of their time packed away. Most system-friendly stuff and native development happens under OS4 on my A1-XE G4. Occasionally I use MorphOS too on my iBook G4. I used to have AROS installed on one of my PCs, but it was the least interesting of all the Amiga varieties and derivatives for me, and an update that completely botched my GRUB setup sealed its fate, and it was consigned to a virtual machine that's only been used about twice.
Old 06 January 2022, 14:38   #44
Glen M

My first computer was a Toshiba HX-10, MSX 1 64K machine, it was a Christmas present and a hand me down from my cousin. I was maybe 7 or 8 when I got it so 88/89. It was loved and played to death but it was always just a games machine, I think I typed out a program once but never went out of my way to learn basic or assembly.

Since this was essentially just a games machine, well, its no surprise that my next system and I want to say it was 1991, maybe 92, the system was a Master System 2.

Thats the next part of the journey then the Amiga. Christmas 1993 I got the Amiga 1200. Despite asking my parents for a 600 because that's what my mates had, they got me the 1200 (thanks mum and dad). The reason, what brought me was the games, its what my friends had so I wanted the same system to share in the fun. Again this system was out and out a games machine, it was never used for anything productive. I never learned to code on it, I played with deluxe paint and bit and wrote a crap story about Billy the Cowboy in Wordworth, I must look out the old disks to see if I saved it on them. I was 100% all in with the Amiga though and while I wanted all the addons they never materialised. A year later 94 I got the CD32, still waiting on the cable to link it to my 1200, not that an unexpanded 1200 with a CD drive is any use.

3. What did you use after Commodore went bust, and the Amiga became harder to use as a daily driver ?
It was 1996 and it was time to leave the World of Commodore (whos Escom?) so Mum and Dad again to the rescue at Christmas and we got a Pentium 60, Packard Bell which died and was soon replaced with a Pentium 100. That was the daily driver, the IBM compatible and remains so to this day.

4. What do you use now ?
AMD Ryzen 7 3600 rig is my main machine and of course running Windows 10.

Apple, can't fine any love for it at all. Also not a big fan of Linux but I fumble through when I have to.

As a hobby machine, you might have seen my Youtube Channel, CRG. I love toying with the Amiga (and other systems especially the classic x86) and I have several examples including my original CD32 and 1200. Its just a hobby though, I never was and never will be an Amiga power user. I just enjoy tinkering.
Old 06 January 2022, 17:03   #45
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Fair enough but that did not bring them into people's homes until well later.

Point is that when you claim that using a keyboard + mouse is "old school", you're just saying that you grew up playing games on the PC in the late 80's/90's because for some reason joysticks and gamepads fell out of favour in that period. It might well be that very "consoles are for kids" reasoning.

It makes me sad that people limit themselves like this, using a controller is just so much better for your posture when gaming for extended periods. And to be honest... it makes a large portion of the games more fun to play.

I don't know if it is better for or not but to me it certainly feels this way to me. I'm so relaxed with either a joystick or even better and joypad in my hands. I'm not in some weird position with hands on a mouse and on the keyboard which after a while gives me aches in my arms and wrists and neck. This is why I reluctantly play games without the option of a controller and why I was recently looking into joy2key2. There are ports and games I want to enjoy but I can't because of the keyboard mouse limit. I'm actually glad it's not just me who prefers this. Oh and since I got a PSX adapter for my Amiga, using this pad and having it mapped for CD32 buttons really has extended the enjoyment I get from games. Even games I loved way back in the early 90's on a joystick. The pad opened up a new dimension for me in comfort and improved pay-ability. Using the analogue stick was defo a game changer for me. What is good about my adapter also is if a game doesn't have support for two buttons I can map up to an alternate button and create a jump button. Really helps! Mind you some games I like to push up for jump, just depends.
Old 08 January 2022, 21:01   #46
mkrleza

1984 C64
1989 A2000 (two drives)
Old 09 January 2022, 10:59   #47
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I do mostly WinUAE emulation on my Windows laptop, even though I have an A500 and A1200 that I have recently restored and upgraded. It is much quicker and more flexible to fire it up there than to take the machines out of the cupboard and set up. Once I have space, that might change. I also run Dietpi with Amiberry or PiOS with FSUAE on my Raspberry Pi 400.

I do know that FPGA is in my future.
Old 25 January 2022, 20:50   #48
aNdy/AL/COS

VIC20 and C64

Natural 8bit to 16bit 'upgrade', with my new A500 sitting alongside (but never replacing) my C64. Later the A500 was upgraded with various bits and pieces before being retired and replaced with a A1200, also upgraded.

3. What did you use after Commodore went bust, and the Amiga became harder to use as a daily driver ?

I used my A1200 daily right up until around 2000. Throughout the mid- to late- 90's after C= went bust, the Amiga still served me well while doing my degree, teacher training and my first few years as a teacher (to produce lesson plans and worksheets, etc). I've recently managed to rescue the data on my A1200 HD which includes my uni thesis and assignments and loads of lesson plans and resources.

I was also coding, pixelling and composing all the while using Octamed, Protracker, Blitz Basic 2, Amos, some C and Deluxe Paint 3.

Around 1999, I bought a Win98 Compaq laptop to be able to use the internet more, but still used my Amiga for various things because I was so used to the software.

Also, working in schools, I had access to Win95/98 desktops, BBC Micros and Acorn machines.

4. What do you use now ?

A crappy Toshiba laptop, mainly used for C64 game/demo development. I also have a RaspPi 3. And of course my C64 and C64c and now my resurrected A1200.

Anything Apple.

Real hardware and emulation (A1200 and WinUAE).
Old 03 September 2022, 11:57   #49
Dwarfboysim

My Amiga Journey

Intellivision, followed by a Vic20, followed by a C64 then an Amiga.

My dad going back to school to re-train after being made redundant from his job. The store recommended the Amiga to us.

Eventually migrated to the PC.

4. What do you use now ?
Windows 11 on several desktop systems as my main system. Complete with WinUAE, but I have also been collecting the computers from my childhood and have 2 x 500's, 1 x C64, 1x Vic20 and 1 x Intellivision

Windows Vista and Windows 8 need i say more

Real Hardware, Software Emulation, Amiberry on Retropie

Last edited by Dwarfboysim; 03 September 2022 at 11:58. Reason: Reformat Reply
Old 03 September 2022, 12:11   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Atari 2600, C64 was the first computer.

Upgrade from C64 which seemed obvious.

Bought a Pentium 60. Played lots of Doom. Good times.

4. What do you use now ?
Windows 10 until I buy a new machine.

I don't want to pay Apple prices, but I would use the OS if I didn't have to pay for the machine. Used Linux and it's fine, but games and Windows is still a better match.

Software emulation.
Old 04 September 2022, 18:25   #51
Ami_GFX

I used Apple IIs in a technical college and did fortran and basic programing. I also did training in opcodes and hardware on a trainer computer that used an 8086 microprocessor. I had various cheap home computers, a Commodore 64 Plus, what I think was a Sinclair, and a few others. The first computer I bought that really gelled for me was an Atari 1040ST. I bought one second hand around 1990 with a color monitor and a bunch of games on floppies. A few months later I got a 520ST with a monochrome monitor external floppy drive and even more floppies of software. Macs weren't beyond my budget at the time but they were expensive and if I had any extra cash for gear, I preferred to spend it on analog synthesizers which were out of fashion at the time and selling for a fraction of their original retail price. A used Mac II resold for something like 1/2 to 2/3 retail at that time.

2. What brought you, to your Amiga

I was taking classes in electronic music in the late 80s and the music lab had an A500 with music software. I already liked the Atari ST color graphics and the Amiga was far superior to the ST in that department with HAM mode. I saw an ad in the local paper for a used A2500 that was around $350 and took the cash with me and bought it. I loved the graphics power of the Amiga and a few months later, I got a complete Digi View Gold package with camera and copy stand through an Amiga BBS. I started using it to make photos directly into my Amiga. Exposure times were those of 19th century photogaphy but it worked and it was my first experience with digital photography. I was totally hooked on the Amiga

The A2500 was never my daily driver in the sense of general computing and I continued to use it for what I bought it for alongside various PC laptops I acquired from the late 1990s onward. There was lots of expensive Amiga hardware to drool over for sale throughout the 90s. The Amiga didn't end with commodore. Sometime around 2006, I finally got internet reliable enough to use eBay which was an Amiga party at the time and I would buy used Mac hardware locally, sell it on Ebay and used the proceeds to buy all the Amiga hardware that I couldn't afford in the 90s. I bought and sold lots of it and what I have now are my original A2500 pimped out to the max and 2 a4000s equally pimped out.

4. What do you use now ?

A mixture of Thinkpad laptops and industrial mini PCs running Linux.

Windows 10 and 11. They aren't set up for the way I use computers. I have computers that only get turned on once every few months and Windows immediately starts sucking all my bandwidth in a upgrade cycle that makes the computer practilly unusable until it finishes and I might just want to do something like record a track on a DAW that won't work if the computer is taken over by an upgrade cycle. Linux and previous versions of Windows let me control the upgrade process. I'm bascially a control freak when it comes to computers and neither Windows, OSX, Android or IOS give me the control I like, the ultimate control of these OSes is in the hands of the corporation that made it. Linux and Amiga OS both satisfy my end user control requirements.

I continue to use them for their graphics capabilities. I don't use them as much as I did a few years ago. I got interested in electronic music again and have been buying music gear like 90s samplers instead of Amiga hardware the last few years. All my Amigas can digitize video and do fantastic transformations on it. This is very similar to what audio samplers do to audio. I like the way Amigas deal with graphics conceptually which is primitive but powerful at the same time and vastly different from modern software whether commercial software from Adobe or Linux packages like Gimp. I do use Winuae in both Wine and native windows environments but, being lucky enough to have real Amigas, I prefer to use the real thing. I like the way I can run the same OS in both a real and emulated Amiga and the emulation gets more and more exact with each new version of Winuae but there a still things that can't be done in emulation like real time analog video digitizing whether it's from a Digi View Gold or a Toaster Flyer system.

Last edited by Ami_GFX; 08 September 2022 at 17:02.
Old 04 September 2022, 19:34   #52
desiv

Other than the Pong system and then the Odyssey 2, my first computer was a Vic-20. I had tried to talk my parents into letting me try the ZX81 kit that was available mail order, but my parents didn't think I would be able to put it together (didn't have a soldering iron back then). Luckily, after a while, the price wars hit and they were able to afford to get me a Vic-20 and datasette.

After the Vic-20, I went to C-64 and then SX-64. So sticking with Commodore was apparently the plan. And the magazines made the Amiga seem incredible. (Which it was...)

While I had my Amiga, I was also working on the side helping people upgrade their PCs, and I generally got to keep what was replaced. So with that and some mail order parts, I was able to get an XT with a 386 inboard (I think that's what it was/called). Then a 486, etc...

4. What do you use now ?
Everything. ;-) Mostly Win 10, and a really old dual core laptop is what I spend most of my home PC time on. It's right next to the couch, so easy to use. My quad core (still old) Win 10 PC is technically my main PC, but I don't use it as much... I have multiple older computers now (Mac Classic, Apple //e and //c, Vic-20, Atari 400, Aquarius, TS-1000, Tandy Model 100, and some others...). And some Amazon Fire Tablets and the Android phones... ;-)

5. Are there any OS's that you don't use ? Why ?
I don't use newer Apple products much. Originally it was price. Now it is just that it's not what I use.

Amiga 500 and Amiga 1200 (mostly the 1200) are my main machines.
I do use some emulation, mostly to stage my images/test things...
Old 12 September 2022, 04:03   #53
christoff522

If I remember correctly my first experience using a computer was a 286 in primary school. It was boot from floppy kind of thing but I've always had an affinity for computers.
My first amiga experience was an A600 my dad bought me from a bootsale. That was where I first became hooked. I also have a memory of a Dragon 32 and I used to use a CPC464 with the famous green screen.

The Amiga for me was the pinnacle, I could play mortal kombat and I don't know, I guess it was the first nostalgic experience I had and It always stuck with me, sitting in bed flipping through disks and it was the machine I wanted to make games on although as a kid I never did that.

Eventually, somehow my amiga vanished, I don't know where it went but I moved on to PCs.

For a long time I've been just using PCs, raspberry pi etc, my main love has been linux as it's now what I'm most savvy in. Although I do own a Macbook, but recently I've just been using Arch on my thinkpad.

I recently bought an A500 and it came with a 512k trapdoor expansion I didn't know about, I've got a pistorm in there and despite a damaged keyboard membrane that will be replaced on payday, I plan on using it as much as I can, I also use fs-uae, and I built the HDF on that and copied it over (I'm actually writing this reply on that hdf using ibrowse on my thinkpad).
Old 12 September 2022, 13:10   #54
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Sigh. I miss flipping through the tray of disks thinking of what to play next.
Old 12 September 2022, 23:32   #55
XPD
Geek Kiwi

Did the Atari 2600 have an OS as such ?

Family friends had one, then another friend got one, then best mate got one.... I loved them from day one though.

I stuck with my Amiga until 1998 when the GVP A530Turbo I had died Sad day.... then got a Zenith Data Systems Pentium II 266 system - I've never left hell since.

4. What do you use now ?

Windoze.

iOS. Infuriates me how locked down it is.

WinUAE / Rasp Pi / A500Mini
Old 12 September 2022, 23:33   #56
andy2004
Zone Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to andy2004
Computers:
well i started with Commodore 64, 2nd.. Spectrum 128+2a , Amiga A600.. PC.. 650mhz something.. Amiga 1200.. back to pc..
used a schoolcomputer BBC b?.. and archimedies dont know model. also school.

I wont touch anything above windows 8.. still using win7 here. Linux. MACOX...

Amiga Emulator only.. Winuae.
I gave away to someone on here.. my amiga 600 + 2 commodore c64's.. plus everything i had for both of them.. needed the space..
Old 13 September 2022, 12:10   #57
nivam

Started with Oric Atmos back in 1985 then moved to Amstrad 6128 a year later and settled on an Amiga 500 in 1988.

As a kid I used to hang around a small neighborhood in central Athens, known as "Greek Silicon Valley", adjaecent to Athens Polytechnic School. It was, back then, filled with computer shops, coffee shops, technology institutes and some arcades. I remember staring in amaze, on newly released Amiga 500s behind the computer shops. All those incredible demos. I "needed" one and after too much persuasion I made my dad to buy me one with a 1084s monitor. It was the best day of my life till then.

I used the Amiga till late 1993, when I decided to exchange my Amiga 500 with a 80386 PC. We were short on money. I went to university and I needed a compatible computer. One of my big mistakes of my life.

4. What do you use now ?

Windows 10 PC.

I have used all OSes through out my personal/academic/working computing history. All have their positives and negatives. I used to like OSX most for personal use and linux at my job.

I now have an Amiga 500, a 500+ and a 1200 (all acquired 15 years ago), only for show off. When I want to play or try out something I prefer the simplicity of WinUAE, Raspberry Pi or my new favorite A500Mini.
Old 13 September 2022, 22:40   #58
Cobe

I got Atari2600 clone built in with 100 or so games at the end of the 80s.
I had no idea what it was till 2 decades later when I got interested in retro stuff..

Then few years later c64.

And few years later A1200.
While most of my friends and I had c64 there were few lucky ones(or their uncles...) with A500 which we drulled on and were amazed with it like with the arcades. At the time when my parents decided that its time for me to move on(with computers) A1200 was already out. Friends that had Amigas were already bying 386s which didnt impressed me so much. And I guess I was then already anti-mainstream.

Till the 00s I was proving to my friends(and parents) that my decision was right and that the Amiga is better then Pc.
At the end I had blizz 1230, quantum fireball, elsa 28.800, overdrive cd, sampler, vbs
Using Amiga, internet and shapeshifter was a joy. Also again that feeling in spite of all others played a big role.
Than Amiga started to malcuncfion. I was offered Cyrix for it. Which I accepted and lost intrest in computers untill I went back the retro route.
Old 13 September 2022, 23:27   #59
happymondays

C64

When I first saw pictures in a magazine about what an Amiga can do, I wanted one right away. Being around 10 years old did not help much, so it took a couple of years to actually convince my parents that we need to sell my C64 and get an Amiga 500. Then came A1200.

I used my heavily expanded Amiga 1200 as my first choice computer for any tasks be it work/uni stuff, emails, browsing the web etc. until 2001. Then I unfortunately had no choice but switch to a Windows XP PC.

4. What do you use now ?
Everything, I am absolutely omnivorous. Because of my work and certain software I am required to use, my first choices are a Win 10 notebook and a Win 11 mini PC, but I have different consoles and computers from the past 40 years and use all of them more or less frequently.

I do not use any Apple OSes. I have a Mac Mini G4, though, but you might guess what OS runs on it.

Real hardware (A500 with HC508 and A1200 with Blizzard 1230-IV/32 Mb), FPGA (Sidewinder) and sometimes emulation on WinUAE if I need to check something quickly when I work.
Old 14 September 2022, 16:23   #60
jcgeuze

1.amiga 500, but I did use the c64 a bit before it
2.my parents just bought me one out of the blue, someone told my dad, buy him a computer that's really going to help him later in life.
3.i switched to windows, mainly for quake to be honest. I switched to using Linux fairly quickly after that.
4.ubuntu 22.04 on my laptop and work PC. It's amazing
5. Macos, mainly because it's really overpriced and the vendor lock-in is a big no.
6. Only real hardware, a500 with gvp hd and 4mb expansion. Plus an a1200 with an 68030@50 ,64mb ram, PCMCIA network card. Both machines have external zip drives. I really try to keep it as authentic as I can.