English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 January 2012, 11:01   #1
souls

Problem with my Amiga 500 (Yellow Screen, Reboot)

Hi,

recently i purchased an Amiga 500 from ebay (Kickrom 1.3, 512KB Ram). I already have an Amiga (also 500) with Kickrom 1.2.
However, the "new" has some issues. Some games/programs work as expected. Others however lead to a yellow screen and reboot while loading.

I have made a short video that illustrates the problem (watch the LEDs).

[ Show youtube player ]

I have already opened the amiga and checked for leaking parts, checked if some chips are loose, etc. Everything seems to be alright. There is one thing i noticed, when starting the workbench i get the notification: "no battery backed up clock has been found".
I thought that simply the battery is empty and that time settings are messed up. Could this be a part of the yellow screen problem?

Any help is appreciated! I really want to get this little box to run!

thanks
Old 13 January 2012, 11:54   #2
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

A standard 500 does not have a battery backed up clock.

These are normally fitted to expansion RAM boards - have a look in the trapdoor underneath the Amiga. It may have on ewith a leaking battery.

Dave G
Old 13 January 2012, 12:06   #3
souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
A standard 500 does not have a battery backed up clock.

These are normally fitted to expansion RAM boards - have a look in the trapdoor underneath the Amiga. It may have on ewith a leaking battery.

Dave G
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. The model i have has not been upgraded so far (expansion slot under trap door is still empty).
Old 13 January 2012, 22:38   #4
source
Zone Friend

Have you tried the other power supply. The drive activity and failing supply may be too much. You get an undervolt. Themachine hangs.
Old 14 January 2012, 14:11   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Yeah, this could either be caused by a bad capacitor on the motherboard (you may need to swap them around to see if it helps), or just as commonly happens if there is some kind of power supply problem. Sometimes there may be a short to the metal sheilding (usually if there are any pins sticking up from chips), or because of a dodgy trapdoor expension, but since these latter two are rather remote options given your config, I'd say try another power supply as your first priority.