English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 19 March 2003, 01:28   #1
Djay
95th User

Is this good or bad - your thoughts?

check out this link...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=11991

do you think this good or bad (from a consumer's point of view)?

do you think there is a market for this?
Old 19 March 2003, 01:32   #2
jmmijo

Seems to me you can find most if not all of these on Aminet

As for a market, yeah, there will always be some users looking for this kind of thing because they don't know where to look or are too busy/lazy to look for it
Old 19 March 2003, 01:35   #3
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Hmm, looks like some PD stuff to me...
I don't think there is a big market for this.
PD games are not very interesting for collectors, and since they are ( rather unfamous ) PD games also noone will buy them for nostalgic reasons.
Old 19 March 2003, 07:47   #4
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The only games I would buy would have to have the original box, disks, manuals, etc. And even then they would be on a shelf while I play the adf versions on my real hardware.

Its just cool having the complete original package. Just the disks themselves dont do anything for me because you can d/l them all anyway.
Old 20 March 2003, 02:11   #5
Djay
95th User

do you think it would be ok to sell "back-ups" of games like Lotus 2, because Gremlin have closed and its legal to store on webspace?

i would imagine that people still use Amiga hardware, but can't/won't network to a PC and would like to buy stuff, disk-by-disk?
Old 20 March 2003, 02:23   #6
Unknown_K

Quote:
Originally posted by Djay
do you think it would be ok to sell "back-ups" of games like Lotus 2, because Gremlin have closed and its legal to store on webspace?

i would imagine that people still use Amiga hardware, but can't/won't network to a PC and would like to buy stuff, disk-by-disk?
I dont believe in selling anything you dont own, such as software you downloaded over the net or selling multiple copies of a game you do own.

For shareware I think your allowed a small fee for the media your using to distribute the shareware, but not for the software itself.

Even if the company goes out of buisiness somebody usually gets the rights to their intelectual property wether they plan on using it or not (could be the creditors of the defunct company). Remember even if the guy who wrote the software says you can post it on the net he might not necessarily own the rights to that software.
Old 20 March 2003, 02:33   #7
Djay
95th User

i have got the HMV Gremlin Classix CD, which is also sold by a few other places, but also included are the kickstart roms (that seems a bit dodgy)

i would say, that if a website is a legal website that is providing legal software, there is no harm in selling the software using the original medium?
Old 20 March 2003, 02:50   #8
Unknown_K

Depends on where you live. Some countries allow modchips to be manufactured while here in the US its illegal.

Just because a website is selling software doesnt mean it is legal to sell.

I have seen websites selling the complete TOSEC collections on many cd's. Do you think they went out and got permission from 1000's of companies to be able to include their software in their cd's? Its illegal, but the police generally go after people selling new PSX2, XBOX, PC games taking money from existing companies with current viable products.

Buying your games is legal

Using game images you d/l of the net is probably imoral

Selling game images you dont own is probably illegal.

I have a huge amount of TOSEC games, I would never sell them but will distribute a few to people I know.
Old 20 March 2003, 03:22   #9
Djay
95th User

Quote:
I have a huge amount of TOSEC games, I would never sell them but will distribute a few to people I know.
oh yes.... i totally agree with all your statements, but i believe it is okay to sell stuff that is legal, TOSEC sites aren't legal sites... whereas BTTR is...?
Old 20 March 2003, 03:51   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

What I think most people miss is that the companies that give permission to distribute their games to, say BTTR, do not give rights for others to 1) distribute them, and absolutely not to 2) sell them.
Old 20 March 2003, 03:57   #11
Djay
95th User

ok cool