English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 20 December 2021, 22:10   #1
brett71

Final Calc on A4000TX

Hey all,

Been working on installing some apps on my A4000TX and ran into a curious issue.

I've installed Final Writer 97 and Final Data on the machine and those applications worked perfectly fine right after install, even with my ZZ9000 at a very high-res screenmode, I think 1200x720 in 16-bit color. The application asks about the screenmode setting I want to use, and even though both applications only seem to support a max of 256 colors, they at least open up their screens and work as expected.

Final Calc, however, is a different story. After install, either the FPU or the non-FPU version, when I launch the application, the screen goes black and the machine appears to lock up. I do not get a guru or anything. My normal screenmode is (I think) 1200x720 with 16-bit color, or something like that, so it might make sense that Final Calc freaks out when it's presented with a screenmode like that, but I have even downgraded the screenmode to a standard NTSC Hi-Res Laced and get the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try to correct this? I haven't dug into it enough to see if there's a configuration file I can edit manually and see if I can work around the issue.

Thanks!
Old 21 December 2021, 15:26   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

It may be a corrupt disk. If there's a shared library used by Final Calc FPU and non-FPU that's probably the culprit.
Old 21 December 2021, 16:50   #3
Matt_H

First, make sure you’re patched up to the last version.

I do recall Final Calc being a lot more “sensitive” than Final Writer and Final Data (it was coded by a different person/team than the other “Final” apps). You said you tried NTSC HiRes Laced, but at what color depth? If you haven’t already, see what happens at 16 colors instead of 256.

Anything else unusual running on your system? Hacks? Non-stock commodities?
Old 23 December 2021, 20:23   #4
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
It may be a corrupt disk. If there's a shared library used by Final Calc FPU and non-FPU that's probably the culprit.
I'm using the ADF files off of the file server, not actually physical floppies. I didn't have any issues installing and running Final Calc on my Amiga 1200's using a DBLNTSC 256-color screenmode.
Old 23 December 2021, 20:27   #5
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
First, make sure you’re patched up to the last version.

I do recall Final Calc being a lot more “sensitive” than Final Writer and Final Data (it was coded by a different person/team than the other “Final” apps). You said you tried NTSC HiRes Laced, but at what color depth? If you haven’t already, see what happens at 16 colors instead of 256.

Anything else unusual running on your system? Hacks? Non-stock commodities?

OK, I did not know about the patches for Final Calc. I will try to get those and get them onto the machine.

I'm pretty sure I was trying a 256-color screenmode. The strange thing is that my 1200's had no issues with 256-color screenmodes when I installed Final Calc on those machines.

The machine is running OS 3.2, P96, Roadshow to support the ZZ9000's RTG and Network functions. I haven't done much customization past that.