English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Collections

Old 22 August 2020, 00:52   #21
jarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Does such thing exists? I mean, something like TOSEC (has everything that is available) but without duplicates, 1G1R (one game one rom) style.
There is NO ultimate collection, until ALL ever released is found, and if you count scene releases also into the ultimate collection then probally it will be never reached. See all the collections which be imaged the last years, there are still lots of new and neverseen scene productions...or just disks in series which are not found till now....
Old 22 August 2020, 03:35   #22
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarre View Post
There is NO ultimate collection, until ALL ever released is found, and if you count scene releases also into the ultimate collection then probally it will be never reached. See all the collections which be imaged the last years, there are still lots of new and neverseen scene productions...or just disks in series which are not found till now....
Correct, but it would be nice to have a collection containing the best versions of currently available titles, and adding to it as new games are found.

Unfortunately this takes a significant amount of time that most of us don't have these days. DamienD is over 15 years into his!
Old 22 August 2020, 03:54   #23
ransom1122

I think this thread is going a little off course...

It's not about comparing a full blown set of untested ADF's Vs DD's ADF's. Of course DD's set is Primo and top of the range when it comes to curated sets.. Though the task of obtaining a full blown ADF set without duplicates wether they work or not is what were trying to achieve..

Little Info.

DD's set of ADF's = 4,254 (Which Includes multi disk games, etc)

Then you have games like Alianator with a filename of the coverdisk - Amiga Fun 91-12 (1992 bla bla bla Alianator.adf This is not ideal for MiSTer as you will never find it through the list, hence why DD's set is curated for WinUAE has he has config files, Arts etc that work with winuae.

Gamebase 2.0 set of ADF's = 4,801 (Which Includes multi disk games, and game DD does not find entertaining or worthy to put in his collection)

As for the Thunder ADF set, I have not yet got the exact details....

There's no harm in having all 3 sets I guess and use whichever you feel at the time.
Old 22 August 2020, 07:40   #24
chip

Just as info for the above post, the ADF files in Thunder collection are exactly 10.774
Old 22 August 2020, 08:04   #25
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Just as info for the above post, the ADF files in Thunder collection are exactly 10.774
Having drama's with the 4+ filesize limit with Mega, it stopped toward the end
Old 22 August 2020, 08:08   #26
chip

Can't you download the collection directly from the ftp site i linked ?

The download speed is excellent (at least for my fiber connection)
Old 22 August 2020, 08:24   #27
ransom1122

Quote:
Can't you download the collection directly from the ftp site i linked ?

The download speed is excellent (at least for my fiber connection)
Seems to work with IDM ok, thanks. Downloading...
Old 22 August 2020, 08:27   #28
chip

Glad for you, but what is IDM ?
Old 22 August 2020, 08:46   #29
ransom1122

Internet Download Manager
Old 22 August 2020, 08:52   #30
chip

Ah, ok, thanks for the info
Old 22 August 2020, 11:50   #31
ransom1122

Quote:

Seems the number of ADF's in Thunder's collection is 11,376
Old 22 August 2020, 15:32   #32
chip

Yep, i have a previous version
Old 22 August 2020, 16:58   #33
Amiga4000

How does one go about obtaining DD's WinUAE collection? Is there a monetary contribution that one can donate to obtain it? Would I be able to create physical disks from the ADF's in the collection? That would be my use for it. Thanks for any reply.
Old 23 August 2020, 04:14   #34
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
How does one go about obtaining DD's WinUAE collection? Is there a monetary contribution that one can donate to obtain it? Would I be able to create physical disks from the ADF's in the collection? That would be my use for it. Thanks for any reply.
Contact him.
Old 24 May 2021, 12:43   #35
Fuzzball

Has anyone already attempted the suggestion of merging these collections? Funnily enough I am in the process of doing something similar. I have the Thunder collection, Gamebase 2.3 and Tosec. I have contacted Damien and hope to merge his too but there has been no response to that. He shows here as "banned" so I'm not sure why that is.

I'm also currently writing my own app to help merge them as I haven't found a tool that is specific enough to my requirements. So I thought I'd just write my own specifically for this purpose.
Old 24 May 2021, 19:23   #36
dreadnought

Mefging is not a problem, filtering the duplicates is. A script/app would have to be quite clever, because it's difficult not to cull something which you don't want to even when using tags.

If you manage to do it, I'd be most interested to check it out.
Old 24 May 2021, 22:11   #37
Fuzzball

Quote:
Mefging is not a problem, filtering the duplicates is. A script/app would have to be quite clever, because it's difficult not to cull something which you don't want to even when using tags.

If you manage to do it, I'd be most interested to check it out.
Sorry when I said "merging" that included filtering duplicates (otherwise it would be a rather pointless task). I have already written v1 of the app and it does a pretty decent job of not just removing duplicates but actually working out the "best" version to keep. I'm developing this in a Test Driven Development environment and I am still adding more complex unit test cases that I want to implement before doing it for real.

I just started wondering if I am creating work for myself that someone has already done so thought I'd ask before going any further as my time is pretty limited.

Basically the v1 (alpha really) takes a source folder and target folder, calculates the files that are duplicates and already in the target (filenames don't have to match - there is already some basic intelligence implemented) and then marks the files in the preview window that will be copied and gives you the option to proceed with the copy. Ideally it would also use the game list dat files but that's a bit beyond scope at the moment.

There are similar tools out there but I was unable to find one that matched my exact criteria so I just decided to implement my own. There are the well known rom tools and then lots of lesser known ones on github that I have checked out. None were quite what I was looking for.

Last edited by Fuzzball; 24 May 2021 at 22:21.
Old 25 May 2021, 17:13   #38
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzball View Post
There are similar tools out there but I was unable to find one that matched my exact criteria so I just decided to implement my own. There are the well known rom tools and then lots of lesser known ones on github that I have checked out. None were quite what I was looking for.
Got any examples? I'd be most interested, because this is something I try to do all the time, not just for Amiga but many other systems, and it's always immensely time-consuming (or impossible).

I mean an app which could indeed compare directories, had some flags and options, all that without using some "official" .dat files (because most of the collections don't have any).

Failing that, if you could make yours Windows compatible, and GUI driven it'd be a godsend and I'm pretty sure it would get very popular in the retro-community.
Old 25 May 2021, 17:54   #39
Fuzzball

Quote:
Failing that, if you could make yours Windows compatible, and GUI driven it'd be a godsend and I'm pretty sure it would get very popular in the retro-community.
It is currently a Windows App. The library is written in C# .Net Core 3.1 and the front end for now is a WPF Gui.

You give it a source and target directory. The first thing the library project does is check for duplicates in each directory and flags them for removal (no physical deletion at this point). In theory, it is being provided already cleaned collections so this stage is really just a failsafe. Then it compares the two file lists, ignoring any items that have been flagged for deletion. The comparison currently has some basic rule sets that creates a key for each file. Once these keys have been created for each file it then compares those keys in each list and marks any key not in the target with a copy flag.

What I am doing at the moment is creating a default set of rulesets but also making it configurable from the front end so you can add custom rulesets that might be more appropriate for the 2 collections you are comparing.

The library returns the 2 sets of results and the GUI front end shows a preview window with all the files listed and those that would be copied are highlighted. You then decide if to process the list.
Old 25 May 2021, 18:29   #40
dreadnought

Sounds great, hope you'll make it public at some point.