English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 01 January 2019, 14:50   #41
Tech

Thanks a lot. Great work as always! I have always been using BetterWB for my A600, but switched to BestWB now with 3.1.4. I'd love to have fat95 and cfd included. Would be much easier to transfer data when doing new installs.
Old 01 January 2019, 18:58   #42
daxb

OS3.1.4 doesn't necessary need fat95 because its CrossDos? was updated but you need to try if it works for you like you wish.
Old 01 January 2019, 19:16   #43
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Thanks a lot. Great work as always! I have always been using BetterWB for my A600, but switched to BestWB now with 3.1.4. I'd love to have fat95 and cfd included. Would be much easier to transfer data when doing new installs.
It's an easy operation, you simply need to do this:

- For BetterWBcopy copy SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/ CF0, PC0, PC1, MS0 etc.. to BestWB SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers/
- For BetterWBcopy copy SYS:l/fat95 to BestWB SYS:l
- For BetterWBcopy copy SYS:devs/compactflash.device, mfm.device to BestWB SYS:devs

You can mount devices with the method you use on BetterWB, oppure manually mount CF and PC0 by typing from a Shell

Mount CF0:
or
Mount PC0:
Old 02 January 2019, 04:38   #44
source
Zone Friend

I see that you use Fungicide as the anti virus software package. I had never heard of it and have always used VirusZ. Is a better virus program than VirusZ??
Thanks
Old 02 January 2019, 10:24   #45
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
OS3.1.4 doesn't necessary need fat95 because its CrossDos? was updated but you need to try if it works for you like you wish.
Except that CrossDOS, according to source code, only appear to recognise pre MSDOS-4 partitioning, which probably is rather rare? At least I have had zero success in using CrossDOS in 3.1.4, the best I have managed is to have devices show up as NDOS/unformatted. Meanwhile, I have zero issues with FAT95. But who knows, maybe I am just making things up, trolling as usual... sigh.
Old 02 January 2019, 10:55   #46
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes CrossDOS I have always used it for Floppy PCs for Hardisk i have always used FAT95 that has never given me problems.
Old 02 January 2019, 15:33   #47
daxb

@kolla:
The only information about CrossDOS I have is from thor his thread on a1k.org forum about OS3.1.4 little hidden features. Maybe you have a read there: https://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67528

This post https://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.p...8&postcount=55 but it is worth to go through the whole thread.
Old 08 January 2019, 08:18   #48
kolla
Banned

@daxb
Yes, I have read it, and been yelled at by ThoR for not having read original OS 3.1 manuals about CrossDOS (which btw I have now done, and it really did not say much). The big hint was when ThoR wrote that literally nothing had changed in the CrossDOS code in terms of detection of partitions from MBR since original OS 3.1 CrossDOS. With the OS 3.1 sources readily available online, it was then easy to find this piece of code, which starts with a comment about not supporting MBR definitions of MSDOS4 upwards.
Old 11 September 2019, 14:00   #49
asymetrix

Just installed BestWB and it works great. Thank you.
Regarding protection bits, didn't Linux have a similar problem and used Tar to store the files then Zip to compress the tar file ?
Old 11 September 2019, 14:28   #50
gulliver
BoingBagged

Linux has lots of ways to solve this issue, but most users use Windows, and the problem comes from over there.
Old 11 June 2021, 12:42   #51
1NOM155

Sir gulliver,

Are you think upgrade / migrate BestWB to Amiga OS 3.2?

Keep-up with the best work and regards,
Old 11 June 2021, 21:52   #52
gulliver
BoingBagged

Dear 1NOM155,

I have a beta version that I created many months ago.

I am quite busy right now with plenty of 3.2 related things going on plus the usual dose of non-Amiga things getting in the way.

I also have ambitions to follow a different path in that regard.

But first I need to finish what I am doing before opening another construction site.
So please be patient, my spare time is limited, but I will eventually hope to get to it.
Old 12 June 2021, 20:50   #53
1NOM155

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Dear 1NOM155,

I have a beta version that I created many months ago.

I am quite busy right now with plenty of 3.2 related things going on plus the usual dose of non-Amiga things getting in the way.

I also have ambitions to follow a different path in that regard.

But first I need to finish what I am doing before opening another construction site.
So please be patient, my spare time is limited, but I will eventually hope to get to it.
Hello Sir Gulliver,

I'm sorry if I pass the idea of rushing he he wasn't my idea.

yes I believe you have other stuff to focus of course, beside AmigaOS3.2 and other projects, not even think about private life / family etc, those are focus number 1.

I was just curious to see what you might came out to add to Amiga Workbench 3.2 if we compare what you did in the past.
But to be honest Amiga 3.2 have many new things maybe the "new" add-ons might be less compare to the previous packs you released.

Again without assuming I'm asking to speed-up or anything similar, to have a simple installation of AmigaOS3.2 to play games and play with a couple of simple audio applications, what you or other user recommend?

DOpus + LHA + WHDLoad + iGame (I don't know if MUI is needed and compatible) + AmiDock (or similar) + audio programs

With my best regards,

1NOM155
Old 13 June 2021, 20:11   #54
E-Penguin
Banana

Just thinking aloud ; it would be wonderful to have a sort of "apt-get" system for the amiga, maybe based on Aminet. It would make package management very smooth.
Old 13 June 2021, 20:19   #55
captain_zzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Just thinking aloud ; it would be wonderful to have a sort of "apt-get" system for the amiga, maybe based on Aminet. It would make package management very smooth.
You might want to look at this https://aminet.net/package/util/misc/UHCTools
Old 12 May 2023, 07:37   #56
EctoOne

I just found this and this might be a stupid question but where are the 4 colors icons coming from?