English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 22 March 2020, 02:19   #201
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Yep, I feel your pain. I also have a 4 year old and while I could have put him into school still I chose not to as my employer gave their blessing for me to juggle a full time job and looking after him. I therefore now have literally no coding or decompression time.

It's going to be a very testing time.
In fact it does not feel painful to me at all this early into the situation. I actually enjoy being able to leave some daily routine behind me and experience something new. Yesterday when we walked through the forest for two hours, there were very long moments where we could not hear cars from the surrounding streets. Simply amazing.

I am relieved though that the current status of the Ausgangsperre (which defines the lockdown) is only intact for two weeks. Meaning then we might at least have restaurants back in limited operation, most shops should re-open and our girl is allowed to play with other kids on the street without interference.

Interesting you still have public schools in UK in operation. I think you are doing the right thing to take care yourself though. Should reduce the risk of infection a lot.
Old 22 March 2020, 06:03   #202
invent
pixels

Just to add, while Richard and I work very closely together on RPIII we still post independently, If you want to know more behind the scenes we have posts that are public after a few days, just checked mine so please feel free to look and give feedback https://www.patreon.com/KevinSaunders
Old 12 April 2020, 01:36   #203
buzzybee

Did I mention how important I think music and sound-fx are for a complete game experience? Therefore I feel really proud that we got Virgill onboard for Reshoot Proxima 3. He is one of the best scene musicians we got, and he is going to add of his pieces to the musical score.

Virgill entered the Tracked Music Compo at this years Revision demoparty with a track called "Reshoot Proxima 3". Want to listen?

Last edited by buzzybee; 12 April 2020 at 01:52.
Old 12 April 2020, 02:07   #204
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^cool tune
Old 12 April 2020, 02:34   #205
invent
pixels

Ohhh! that is a wicked track Virgill
Old 12 April 2020, 06:31   #206
MickGyver

That IS a really good track!
Old 12 April 2020, 06:59   #207
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ah, finally some decent electronic music and not this boring techno nonsense.
Old 12 April 2020, 09:52   #208
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Amazing stuff, Richard and Virgill..

Always crazy what people get out of three channels and good old Paula..
Old 12 April 2020, 11:01   #209
thairacerjp

stunning music ! it will emphasize the gameplay who is already great

Last edited by thairacerjp; 13 April 2020 at 06:46.
Old 12 April 2020, 19:07   #210
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Seems to be 4 channels, so probably not for in-game. Pretty awesome tune though! Well made
Old 13 April 2020, 03:54   #211
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Seems to be 4 channels, so probably not for in-game. Pretty awesome tune though! Well made
You listened (or watched) closely :-)

In fact this track as-is runs on four channels and cannot be used ingame; or at least it would mean you cannot add sfx to the action without sacrificing the flow of the music.

Virgill, Dascon and Altraz are all contributing to the game. These amazing guys do not only know how to create music, but also how to downsize it to fit within two or three channels only, while keeping a tiny memory footprint. Ingame soundtracks (each stage has its own) currently only use around 150 kb or so.

No idea how these sound magicians do that.
Old 13 April 2020, 11:24   #212
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
You listened (or watched) closely :-)

In fact this track as-is runs on four channels and cannot be used ingame; or at least it would mean you cannot add sfx to the action without sacrificing the flow of the music.

Virgill, Dascon and Altraz are all contributing to the game. These amazing guys do not only know how to create music, but also how to downsize it to fit within two or three channels only, while keeping a tiny memory footprint. Ingame soundtracks (each stage has its own) currently only use around 150 kb or so.

No idea how these sound magicians do that.
That's nice to hear each level will have it's own unique sound track as that's one area where I think Reshoot-R was lacking, while it's track is great it became a bit repetitive after a while.
Old 13 April 2020, 15:45   #213
nikosidis

Gratz with song. Very good and won tracker compo, revision
What is this new Amiga audio software from Virgill? Sounds amazing and songs are between 10-20kb.
Is this a format that can be used in demos, games?
Old 13 April 2020, 15:57   #214
buzzybee

Yeah, Virgill won a compo with his RP3 piece. What an achievement. In fact he did a great job for several demos and audiotracks at this years Revision. The new software he uses for some of his pieces is called Amigaklang, and I think he wants to release it soon. But I don´t know too much about it. Virgill put up a video on youtube though. [ Show youtube player ]

I cannot thank Virgill enough for his contribution to RP3. Same is true for the pieces that Dascon and especially Altraz created or are creating right now. Sound is so important for the whole experience!
Old 17 April 2020, 16:38   #215
buzzybee

The past weeks I spent optimizing the engine in such a way that it copes with lots of stuff while keeping the main framerate at 50 fps. Put a short text about why I find this important onto my Patreon-website.

This text also contains a new video of a performance test, so if you want to see lots of big explosions – it´s Patreon but it´s still free, so please y´all check it out!

Old 17 April 2020, 19:02   #216
roondar

Interesting, dynamic frame rate for bobs. Don't remember games doing this - only games that either stuck to 50FPS or stuck to 25FPS (or even lower) for bobs. Nice stuff!
Old 17 April 2020, 19:43   #217
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Nice reading and beautiful idea buzzybee
Can't wait to see it in action !
Old 17 April 2020, 19:55   #218
buzzybee

Glad you guys like what you see!

I have older code which de-syncs sprite update and bitter draw rate working in RESHOOT R already, but there the eagle-eyed observer may notice the switch from 50 to 25 fps blitter drawing.

With RESHOOT PROXIMA 3 the plan was so enhance the engine in such a way, that the switch cannot / can hardly be seen. Because if this works, this will result in much more freedom regarding gamedesign. We can implement many more or bigger objects without concerns regarding framerate. Seems it works. Need some further testing though.
Old 18 April 2020, 17:31   #219
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

The music and action seems frenetic ! Great
It looks promising at this stage
Well done!
Old 24 April 2020, 14:37   #220
buzzybee

Added a bit of text to my Patreon blog about why optimising code is beautiful (spoiler: quicker loading, less memory footprint). It´s Patreon but it´s free - so have fun!