English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > Amiga websites reviews

Old 25 September 2002, 21:21   #1
oldpx

Fire-Button

http://fire.spejs.net/

An attempt to create an alive database with contributions of retrogamers. Somewhat ike HOL but they aren't waiting the database to complete to open themselves to public, they're growing with public contribution instead. They're attracting people to contribute with a bonus point system.

Old 25 September 2002, 21:27   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

Cool

Old 25 September 2002, 21:50   #3
RetroMan

nice site This one was just added to my bookmarks
Old 25 September 2002, 22:14   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yup, it's a good site. It actually started as an Amiga database project, before becoming multi-platform.
Old 26 September 2002, 03:54   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Very impressive.
Old 26 September 2002, 03:59   #6
Ash
Zone Friend

I like this site too
Old 26 September 2002, 08:05   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Well I don't want to sound too picky, but it's not exactly accurate. After 10 minutes of browsing I found several small errors. I mean, first thing you see in the Amiga section is The Kristal as the best game ever made (!) and worse than that, they have it listed as an adventure game. And #5 is Bubble & Squeak Still, it's a nice try but hopefully HOL will be much better.
Old 26 September 2002, 10:23   #8
oldpx

What I did not find very cool is the interface is cumbersome, I'd like to add many things but have to wait for many pages to load, select a system everytime etc.

alkis, they have a few active members, so the database might not be accurate yet.

Old 26 September 2002, 17:20   #9
Bezzen

Smile

Thanks for the input about my site.

Here's some answers and some explanations about some of the weird stuff that goes on at the Fire-Button:

Accuracy: I don't own every game ever made. Information is based on my own info, contributions and old mags and stuff. People are encouraged to find errors and submit the correct information.

Gods being an Atari game: Right next to the Origin there is an * mark. And just below the * is explained as: "The Fire-Button doesn't know the original platform and is making a guess..." This basically means that it takes the release earliest release year for a title and if there are more than one that year it unprofessionally takes the first alphabetically. I don't add the original platform if I'm not 100% sure. I've just fixed Gods though.

The Kristal at number one: That's because the people who has rated that game found it to be that good. I've never played it so I don't know. The games need to be rated two times to be in the platform specific lists and Five times to be in the overall lists.

Slow: Well, yeah.
If you use the quick search-field you can find games quickly without going through Systems.

Anyway. I'm taking all feedback into account and will work as hard as I can to make everyone like the site.

There's still a lot of work to be done.

Old 26 September 2002, 18:09   #10
oldpx

Sounds fine, another thing is I couldn't find an explanation on how the bonus system works, right now I cannot even edit my info or settings, is this because I have made too little contribution?

Last edited by Burseg; 26 September 2002 at 18:49.

Old 26 September 2002, 18:37   #11
Bezzen

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Sounds fine, another thing is I couldn,'t find an explanation on how the bonus system works, right now I cannot even edit my info or settings, is this because I have made too little contribution?
No, it's because of the fact that I'm lazy and spend my days playing videogames instead of programming features.

Anyway. I'll add the ability to edit information, an explanation of the bonus system in a couple of hours.

The Settings-feature will be added later, cause that's a bit complex (the goal is that EVERYTHING about the site's looks can be changed from there to suit everyone's needs). But I can't really code that until everything is 100%, and I'm not quite there yet unfortunately.

Old 26 September 2002, 19:46   #12
Paul
RIP Friends

Nice Site
Old 26 September 2002, 20:07   #13
Dizzy
Pirate

Bezzen

I think you should remove the collection, under each game, if fx 100 persons own a game it will be a very long list, wich could take some time to load. (hopefully many will join your site)

The idea of being able to have your personal list on your site is good (like IMDB.com have (for movies)).
Old 26 September 2002, 20:29   #14
Bezzen

Quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy
Bezzen

I think you should remove the collection, under each game, if fx 100 persons own a game it will be a very long list, wich could take some time to load. (hopefully many will join your site)

The idea of being able to have your personal list on your site is good (like IMDB.com have (for movies)).
You're right. I'll get rid of the list in the game details.

The Collection-list is really basic at the moment (you can't even edit it yet) but once it's done there will be a "Want-list" as well. Then you can mail your list to all your friends so they know what to get you for your birthday.

By the way... registered users can now edit their information. Like promised.

Old 26 September 2002, 21:40   #15
oldpx

Great great
I entered the credits for Ishar III yesterday and it is sent to be checked, if all the game credits are to be checked this way, wouldn't it be easier for you to fill all the details by yourself in the first place?

Old 26 September 2002, 21:58   #16
Bezzen

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Great great
I entered the credits for Ishar III yesterday and it is sent to be checked, if all the game credits are to be checked this way, wouldn't it be easier for you to fill all the details by yourself in the first place?
Well. I don't want just anyone being able to edit the database, since I know for a fact that there are some people who just loves to mess things up and delete posts and all other nasty stuff.

So, what I've done is that new users can't add information directly. When I see that certain users behave and send in information that seems to be correct I might give them permission to write to the database directly.

I don't do any big research about the information I get, unless it looks a bit strange. So it is just a matter of precaution really.

Old 27 September 2002, 00:01   #17
kametyken
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi

Of course they are porting a 16 colour Atari game to a 32 colour Amiga game...
Yes, they did. The Bitmaps develop afaik at least Cadaver and Gods on the Atari ST. That means that Gods for the Amiga is a port from the ST.
Old 29 September 2002, 22:41   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Looks nice but AGA Amiga specs are wrong, max number of colours is 16M (256*256*256), not 256000 and non-overscanned max resolution is 1280*512 with standard TV. (640*512 non-AGA)

I replied here because I didn't find any feedback links..
Old 30 September 2002, 03:34   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I noticed there are only a few MSX games, and you've got Castlevania listed.

If you search for Castlevania for MSX , you will never find it, the game was called "Vampire Killer" in the MSX, athoulgh the japanase name is the same (Akumajo Dracula or something like that)

Hmm. I could do a HUGE collaboration in the MSX area
Old 30 September 2002, 08:48   #20
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

What if I want to send info about a system, and also tell you about games of a certain system

the MSX info is REALLY incomplete, there are wrong stuff in there, and there are only 12 games on the list, while I know about 1000 MSX games

Where should I send all this stuff ?