English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 23 April 2021, 16:38   #1
acidbottle

Amiberry and controllers

Need some help from some bright spark here!

Have used Amibian and Amiberry, also Amikit and Amiberry, latest version 4.1.2 I think.

Have very unsucessfully tried to get 2 USB controllers working, both Monster Joystick 9 pin adapter and X-arcade stick, via USB.

When I installed both distros I managed to get the MJ adapter working just fine. I updated the controller datatbase and paths and now neither distro can find anything.

Have been on Amikit support, Jan is pretty helpful, but really this is not an Amikit issue I believe.

I suppose I could throw usb controllers and adapters at the thing until one sticks but really I need to know what I need to add in the controller configs to get this thing working, idreally the MJ adapater. I am pretty sure an old version of Amiberry was working but later versions seems broken? PI emulation is a bit rubbish without a controller!

Thank you
Old 23 April 2021, 19:56   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

I'm not sure i understand what the problem is - is it just not mapped correctly, or does the device not show up in the menu at all?

Amiberry will show any connected SDL device so if its not there at all, its the OS at fault. Do the controlers show using the joystick tests on command line?

there's quite a bit on the wiki about controller setups : https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/wiki

The latest amiberry does try to do some auto-configuration of the buttons, but even when that doesnt work correctly, the F12 menu should still show the device(s)

You might need to post some screenshots
Old 23 April 2021, 21:19   #3
acidbottle

Thanks Horace for stepping in.

Basically I have tried the adapter in 2 distros, Amibian and Amikit.

The device does not show up in the input menu at all. With Amikit distro I do see configs for Keyboard, Keyrah and Retroarch, by default, but no MJ adapter.

When i first ran Amiberry through Amibian, the device did show under input menu as "MONSTER JOY" or something. I updated Amiberry to the latest version (both distros) and updated the control database and it has vanished entirely from the input menu.

The control config file does list 100s of various devices but not the ones I have.
Old 23 April 2021, 22:55   #4
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

No worries.

I'd try this first:
https://recalbox.gitbook.io/document...ck-with-jstest

check what js* devices are shown and see if they are showing up from jstest /dev/input/js0 for example

The devices you are seeing at the moment are effectively 'virtual' devices created from keyboard controls.

I assume the MJ adaptor is a standard USB device?

It might be worth downloading say Amibery 3.x and seeing if it works on there. I know there were some changes, but it should only be around mapping of devices once seen, and shouldnt prevent the connected ones appearing.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 23 April 2021 at 23:02.
Old 24 April 2021, 16:58   #5
acidbottle

Okies well good news.

I firstly rolled back to Amiberry 4.0, the version i think was default with Amikit Pi on launch. I also swapped the USB cable, even though the MJ one was brand new.

I dont know what changed but it now shows again, though under "ONYXSOFT" or something similar. Not going to touch another thing from here!

Cheers for the reples.