English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 August 2021, 22:27   #1
utri007
mä vaan

Apple II+

I could buy one, but what to do with it?

I want to have some sort of modern mass storage solution, are there ones wich doesn't cost a kidney? My usual retor stores doesn't sell Apple stuff, so what stores sell apple periheripals?

It has useable video out put? Composite?
Old 16 August 2021, 23:19   #2
dreadnought

You can buy AII+ in Europe without selling a kidney? Lucky you...

The BOOTI flash thing looks affordable enough, even if you have to import from the States
https://ct6502.org/product/apple-ii-booti/
Old 16 August 2021, 23:48   #3
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post

The BOOTI flash thing looks affordable enough, even if you have to import from the States
https://ct6502.org/product/apple-ii-booti/
Out of stock, like most of the items in that shop.
Old 17 August 2021, 13:40   #4
lilwshu

I got a IIe a few months ago as I had one when I was a kid - the answer to "what to do with it" in my case is "not much" after repairing a chain of faults. I use floppy disks which I write with Apple II Disk Server via an iPad in the cassette interface rather than a drive emulator to get software on the machine - the software is very rudimentary and in the case of a II+ you would need extra RAM (at least) to run later stuff like Prince of Persia.

It has composite video out as standard which on a PAL machine is truly nasty in colour mode due to the way it works, you can fit an RGB2HDMI board and Pi Zero to it (amongst other options) to get much better quality video however. My machine in the 80s had a TTL RGB video card and monitor but they are hard to find now.
Old 17 August 2021, 14:22   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

We used Apple II in school and it was fairly OK, but nothing to compare to speccy and c64 mostly due to sound output on internal speaker. I emulate it on PC and MiSTer FPGA. That is a way to play first Ultima game.

I just checked prices, they are bit too much even on Facebook market place even here in USA.
Old 17 August 2021, 14:28   #6
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Out of stock, like most of the items in that shop.
It's normal with these DIY products, sometimes you have to ask about production batches.
https://www.reactivemicro.com/produc...-iie-and-iigs/

I would love to have one, because so many strategy and RPG games have originated on it, it also has some other gems in its library unavailable on other micros. Thankfully its MiSTer core is able to output to a CRT TV with NTSC artifacting now, which is rather awesome.