English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 September 2021, 17:30   #1081
trixster
Guru Meditating

a 50mhz 030 is good for about 12fps when running demo3 timedemo (3863 realtics) in DoomAttack with two levels of green border (that's the same fps for cpu c2p or akiko c2p, which shows that akiko is beneficial for c2p for cpu speeds lower than 50mhz!).

This is faster than a 386 DX40, and about equivalent to a 486 SX25 with an ISA VGA card.
Old 09 September 2021, 17:36   #1082
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Maybe he had seen doom running on a 68k Mac when making that statement

[ Show youtube player ]

But at least they still got an official version.
Old 09 September 2021, 18:39   #1083
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The quadra 700 speed was what was able to get using shapeshifter, EVD and a trick of keeping the emulator in a backward screen (so to have a bigger display and a bit of speed) in my 1200 with viper EC030/40mhz + 16 meg of RAM; of course amiga port was behaving better
Old 09 September 2021, 18:48   #1084
Cyprian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK/Altair View Post
On Amiga, C2P is done purely on Blitter. Blitter does two full passes extracting bit groups from chunky and putting them together for planar. In each step bits from two sources are mixed and interleaved.

BTW

how yours C2P performs vs classic Amiga 500's C2P (CPU only and CPU/blitter)?
Old 09 September 2021, 19:21   #1085
LaBodilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
BTW,
KK released on Discord, Dread tools for creating levels.

Grab it here:

You're still not be able to load it in the engine, but you can preview it on PC at least, and prepare your levels, until complete moding tools are released.
There's nice discussion about Dread on Discord.
Sweet.. I'm already having some fun with it, and might create a project I have had in mind for some time with this.
Old 09 September 2021, 23:37   #1086
KK/Altair

Quote:
how yours C2P performs vs classic Amiga 500's C2P (CPU only and CPU/blitter)?
I have no idea, but definitely worse.
When Blitter does C2P for me, CPU is already rendering next frame.

Quote:
Sweet.. I'm already having some fun with it, and might create a project I have had in mind for some time with this.
If any questions arise (and they surely will) I strongly suggest joining our Discord and visiting mapmaking channel.
Old 10 September 2021, 01:43   #1087
matburton

Yesterday I made a dual format (ST & Amiga) disk for the Dread demo.

Kinda shocked this worked so I thought I'd post it here.

https://discord.com/channels/7528808...59738648481802
Old 10 September 2021, 04:38   #1088
lmimmfn

Quote:
It was Carmack reply on the mail, where he stated that not even 040 is able to run Doom properly without chunky mode.
https://amitopia.com/wp-content/uplo...nt-720x720.jpg

That statement is simply wrong, as Doom run really nicely on 040, and on 020/030 it runs no worse then on 386 (I think it runs even better).

When Dread introduce stairs, it will be full slap in the Carmack face
ID software's expertese was in PC, it was in their interest to promote PC and downplay any competitors.
The console market wasnt a competor hence the SNES port no doubt with a bag full of cash.
ID spent ages investigating how to do smooth scrolling on PC, it says it all really.
Dont get me wrong i love Carmac and his talks but it was all business. Having said that the Amiga base with 030 cards when doom released was tiny.
Old 10 September 2021, 07:42   #1089
manossg

Just tried it yesterday on my A500 w/ACA500+ at 42mhz and it plays great! I use a mouse adaptor, so I had no problem with the controls. Is there (or is it planned) an automap feature?

Awesome work, truly impressive!
Old 10 September 2021, 11:31   #1090
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Just tried it yesterday on my A500 w/ACA500+ at 42mhz and it plays great!
Why 42Mhz?
Have you tried it on (default) 14Mhz?
I tried it, and it's silky smooth.
I haven't tried 42Mhz, but I doubt it will be any smoother then is already on 14Mhz.
As KK confirmed, not only processor speed, but an 1MB chip, and 7MB fast helps a lot for performance.

Oh yeah, I agree about mapping buttons, I wish is implemented asap
Old 10 September 2021, 11:39   #1091
manossg

Quote:
Why 42Mhz?
Have you tried it on (default) 14Mhz?
I tried it, and it's silky smooth.
I haven't tried 42Mhz, but I doubt it will be any smoother then is already on 14Mhz.
As KK confirmed, not only processor speed, but an 1MB chip, and 7MB fast helps a lot for performance.

Oh yeah, I agree about mapping buttons, I wish is implemented asap
To tell you the truth, I used the 42Mhz as an experiment initially and I found that 99% of the software runs perfectly, so I don't find a reason to mess with something that works great. But I might try Dread on 14Mhz to see if there are any differences.
Old 10 September 2021, 11:48   #1092
rabidgerry

Quote:
Dude.. lol..
I am not lying myself.
I don't understand how some of you Doom fans refuses to believe, that there were people that was NOT impressed with Doom at all, back in the day.
Yes - flat shaded polygons often looked waaaaaay better then low res ugly textured polygons.

Is it so hard to believe that I prefer visual style of the second screenshot, over the mass of ugliness from the first screenshot?

Also, what I liked about Cytadel is the fact that they sort of tried "hand drawn" textures, which gave it cartoony look, and in total, it had more coherent look, in comparison with Doom textures that had all kinds of different (unpleasant) colors, and different brightness values.

On some of the above things I can agreed.
But don't ever think that I would love less Amiga, if Dread was never developed. It's magnificent technical achievement, and I can't wait to get my hands on it's mod tools.. and that says also something... I primarily want to create... not to play.. although, I will play it, once it's done, out of respect to great graphics artist involved in this project, and to observe in what smart ways they did graphics.
Running around gathering keys, is not really what I am interested in (and will do it, only to "unlock" further levels, so I can observe new graphics), no matter how this shocking might sound to you.

Quote:
Some of you Doom fans?
I'm not a "Doom Fan", they're entirely different from someone who just likes playing the game from time to time so get over that.

Playing the martyr enjoying the shitter option of over the better option. That is your taste, good for you. If you weren't impressed with Doom when you were younger then you have stupid standards or are a snob What had you seen that was better before that? Polygon graphics?
Old 10 September 2021, 11:55   #1093
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
What had you seen that was better before that? Polygon graphics?
Imho, Ultima Underworld had waaaay better texture look then Doom, and if I had PC at that time, I?d probably play that a lot.
Old 10 September 2021, 12:17   #1094
Dunny

Quote:
Imho, Ultima Underworld had waaaay better texture look then Doom, and if I had PC at that time, I?d probably play that a lot.
Mate of mine had a 386-SX/25 and we played a LOT more UU than Doom. Had to turn off the floors and ceilings, but damn that game swallowed months of our time.
Old 10 September 2021, 12:20   #1095
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
[..] If you weren't impressed with Doom when you were younger then you have stupid standards or are a snob What had you seen that was better before that? Polygon graphics?
I also was not that impressed by Doom (idSoftware - 1993) BitD. In the other-hand, I enjoyed it in netplay as I found it boring playing it alone...
I was much more impressed by Descent (Interplay - 1995) with his real 3D movements and with my 10 fingers on the keyboard to manage the spaceship . Because of this 3D movements, netplay also was much funnier than Doom. Tomb Raider (Core - 1996) is another game that impressed me much more than Doom.
I believe the mix between the scenario, playability & the visual of a game are a big part for being "impressed" or not. And "stupid standards" or "snobism" has nothing to do with that

PS: Given the hardware it is running on, Dread is impressing !!! (not his scenario, at least for me )
Old 10 September 2021, 13:34   #1096
rothers

You're not going to get a true textured 3D engine on an A500 with 1MB of RAM.

Well, not at any playable speed. It would require a vast amount of precalculated graphics due to the rotation.

But we don't need a real 3D engine to make arcade style 3D games. The Dread engine with floor heights would be capable of running so many PSX style games it would/will be amazing.
Old 10 September 2021, 14:03   #1097
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
But we don't need a real 3D engine to make arcade style 3D games. The Dread engine with floor heights would be capable of running so many PSX style games it would/will be amazing.
Also a much faster and visually advanced engine for RPG's, Legend of valour was incredible for it's day, but the Dread engine supersedes it in every way.

Last edited by khph_re; 10 September 2021 at 16:47.
Old 10 September 2021, 15:40   #1098
ESC
Bad Banana

I gotta say you've done a great job, there are some issues here and there like the fact that if you hit a wall at the right angle you can walk right trough it but I assume this is an issue you're already aware of, I've been trying this on two different configurations (A500/1200) and both worked fine, I am pretty excited about the future of this project, keep up the good work!

I've been wondering about stairs that you've previously hinted on, how much of a performance hog is something like that?
Old 10 September 2021, 22:56   #1099
Yulquen74

Works pretty well on my A500+ with 68HC000.

At 7MHz + real fast-ram, the frame-cost counter reads between 2.85 and 4.6, depending on on location and movement.

At 62MHz + real fast-ram (now 1 waitstate for fast-mem), the counter reads between
6.1 and 6.2 (???). Perhaps I'm blind to those sort of things as I'm not much of a gamer, but it does not feel worse than at 7MHz, rotation, movement and graphics feels/looks quite good here too, given the limited resolution.

So all in all, a fantastic achievement!

Though I'm a bit puzzled by the suggested lower frame rate at much higher cpu speed,
could this be a RAM timing issue on my cpu board or such (this means I'm to blame),
although, as I said, performance feels quite good.
Old 11 September 2021, 02:28   #1100
KK/Altair

Quote:
6.1 and 6.2 (???). Perhaps I'm blind to those sort of things as I'm not much of a gamer, but it does not feel worse than at 7MHz, rotation, movement and graphics feels/looks quite good here too, given the limited resolution.
Somewhere 5.00 and 6.00 the timer overflows starts counting from start.
If you are running on 68000 or 010 and frame time gets too low, I assume it overflowed and correct for that.
I haven't thought 62MHz 68000's are out there.