English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 16 October 2018, 11:23   #1
WildW

Working with Amiga folders in Windows

Are there any nice ways to deal with Amiga folders in Windows, perhaps with some kind of program or shell extension?

Say I'm using UAE and want to copy a small number of folders from a long list into a folder than UAE can access - I then have to go and hunt down the coresponding .info files.

I can imagine writing a program for Windows that would do this automatically and look a bit like Directory Opus, but it would be ever better if someone had already done it.
Old 16 October 2018, 12:39   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

FreeCommander XE

Or you can share a Windows folder simply by dragging it to the Workbench:

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 October 2018 at 23:02.
Old 17 October 2018, 00:38   #3
WildW

FreeCommander doesn't seem very helpful. The "Select files with same name" does pick up the .info file for the selected folder, but it only finds one rather than one for every folder you've selected. Unless I'm doing something wrong?

Dragging and dropping into WinUAE works okay. Dropping in and out of fullscreen is not ideal but it's a solution.
Old 17 October 2018, 01:14   #4
-Acid-

Can't you simply just make the folder you want to access available in the emulator as drive then use Dopus in the Amiga emulation? (as you can in WinUAE)
Old 17 October 2018, 09:27   #5
WildW

You know. . . I've not actually considered that. Weird but I've never actually used Dopus on an Amiga :P Back in the day I used to use something very similar looking called ClickDos File Manager but it didn't automatically grab .info files for folders you select either. Does Dopus do that?

I can always just mount the folder in question in the Amiga but there's so many folders in there that the emulated Amiga totally crawls through it if just accessing via Workbench.
Old 17 October 2018, 09:48   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildW View Post
Does Dopus do that?
Yes, there is also the possibility that the .info will be selected automatically

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 October 2018 at 23:02.
Old 17 October 2018, 17:30   #7
Hewitson

Quote:
Are there any nice ways to deal with Amiga folders in Windows, perhaps with some kind of program or shell extension?

Say I'm using UAE and want to copy a small number of folders from a long list into a folder than UAE can access - I then have to go and hunt down the coresponding .info files.

I can imagine writing a program for Windows that would do this automatically and look a bit like Directory Opus, but it would be ever better if someone had already done it.
The trick is to use the terminal. I don't know how to do it in Windows, but on Unix-based OS:

cp -R PinballFantasies* <destination>

Will copy both the dir "PinballFantasies", plus the PinballFantasies.info file.
Old 17 October 2018, 18:11   #8
-Acid-

Quote:
You know. . . I've not actually considered that. Weird but I've never actually used Dopus on an Amiga :P Back in the day I used to use something very similar looking called ClickDos File Manager but it didn't automatically grab .info files for folders you select either. Does Dopus do that?

I can always just mount the folder in question in the Amiga but there's so many folders in there that the emulated Amiga totally crawls through it if just accessing via Workbench.
Yes Dopus has an option in the config that when ticked it will highlight or perform any operation on the .info file as well.

Accessing lots of folders in WinUAE is instant if you have fast possible emulation speed selected. Again i've never used any other versions so cannot say if it's the same on others.
Old 17 October 2018, 18:34   #9
WildW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Accessing lots of folders in WinUAE is instant if you have fast possible emulation speed selected.

I'll have a play with this but I think my system is close to maxed out emulating a stock A1200 with Cycle Accurate on. It's only a Core2 CPU as it's not my main PC but does have a 100Hz CRT optimized for Amiga display.
Old 17 October 2018, 18:50   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

With WinUAE Dual-Core is still fast (my AfA OS is very fast, watch the video), i use a DualCore 4GB RAM and Win7 32Bit

[ Show youtube player ]