English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 07 April 2018, 22:37   #2261
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I forgot to mention that I use DOpus5 as WB-replacement what means that is started via the command LoadDB from S-S (LoadDB instead of LoadWB). That could be a difference. However, won't it be enough to check for "dopus [#?]"?
No, checking for "dopu" only, as it is done up to now, works for poeple who started it with LoadDB or from a shell, and also from an icon on WB called DOpus5, like on my system, but if the icon name is "Bang" then it makes Bang. (no not really, just some things may not work properly)

Now I found a method to get the name and the task number of the main DOpus5 process. I'm already doing checks in my Open() routine for a Directory Opus message port and the entry mp_SigTask points exactly to the desired task number and the name "Bang"!

Last edited by PeterK; 08 April 2018 at 01:50.
Old 07 April 2018, 22:40   #2262
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Aesthetically it is not nice to hide under Amistart, then AmiStart is transparent and can be seen
I don't use AmiStart myself, but I thought it only has "fake" transparency?

Another alternative - do you use any hack that allows you to move windows off-screen? If so, you could run Workbench in Window mode and move that window off-screen

Reminds me - those hacks that give any window an iconify widget, what happens if you iconify the Workbench root window?

Excuse for staying on-topic - icon.library 46.4.481 works great on the Minimig with OS3.9 updated and stripped down to work on 68000

Last edited by kolla; 07 April 2018 at 22:46.
Old 07 April 2018, 22:48   #2263
PeterK

The app icon for iconified WB appears on the WB and will then probably disappear with the iconified WB ...

Thanks for the feedback kolla, but icon.library seems to be off-topic here.

Last edited by PeterK; 07 April 2018 at 22:59.
Old 08 April 2018, 00:36   #2264
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Yes, but if you click on icons Volumes these will not open window on Workbench, have you tried?
Maybe I'm not understanding well. In AKReal if you make a left-right click on screen and you select "Settings/Environment/Desktop" and you select for example the AmiKit volume to be hidden, then it will disappear from screen. Then if you make a double left click on screen you'll see the "Devices list" (volumes, ram and more) in a lister.

If you then select "AmiKit" for example and make a click in the top second window bar icon, then you'll see the window with the icons as you want.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 April 2018 at 00:41.
Old 08 April 2018, 02:02   #2265
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
If you then select "AmiKit" for example and make a click in the top second window bar icon, then you'll see the window with the icons as you want.
Yes, this can be done even if in a disordered manner, i wanted to have the device icons on some toolbar in order to directly open the chosen device.

AmiStart on Dopus5 he does not work well, the command WBRun on Dopus5 it does not seem to work, see screenshot, watch comparison Dopus5 AfA OS WBRun operation.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 April 2018 at 00:58.
Old 08 April 2018, 02:05   #2266
PeterK

Quote:
...make a left-right click on screen and you select "Settings/Environment/Desktop" and you select for example the AmiKit volume to be hidden, then it will disappear from screen. Then if you make a double left click on screen you'll see the "Devices list" (volumes, ram and more) in a lister.

Thanks Retrofan, that sounds like a good solution, but I guess you're talking about a click on the 2. icon in the top window bar, don't you?
Old 08 April 2018, 02:08   #2267
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thanks Retrofan, that sounds like a good solution, but I guess you're talking about a click on the 2. icon in the top window bar, don't you?
Yep, I like to have some advices about my bad english . Converting spanish phrases into english's ones it's sometimes like a puzzle. I only can say sorry and try to improve it day after day.

Edit: Right now, I doubt: Should I say "into english's ones"? . I've done.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 April 2018 at 02:16.
Old 08 April 2018, 02:22   #2268
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I don't use AmiStart myself, but I thought it only has "fake" transparency?
Yes transparency is fake, but I do not like it without transparency

Quote:
Another alternative - do you use any hack that allows you to move windows off-screen?
No up OS3.9 there are no applications that do this, something exists on it OS 3.1 (PowerWindows)

Quote:
Reminds me - those hacks that give any window an iconify widget, what happens if you iconify the Workbench root window?
IconifyGadget still leaves its icon on the Workbench (Iconify) and then I do not think it works on OS 3.9 or RTG Screen
Old 08 April 2018, 02:26   #2269
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Just click with the mouse on any point on the screen
Old 08 April 2018, 02:33   #2270
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

AmigaSystem what I see is that you find a problem with AmiStart trying to open Ram as a window with icons from there. I just would forget about that, why do you want it there if you can access to it just clicking on screen?.

With DOpus5 you can have a "clean" wallpaper on screen and anything else while having access to all of the volumes and drawers just clicking on screen if you wish.

In any case, it's just a problem with the dock and not with DOpus5.

If you like, I can make a video. You don't need either the AmiStart dock if you use my DOpus5 Startmenus that are inlayed inside the top bar.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 April 2018 at 02:40.
Old 08 April 2018, 02:53   #2271
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes i know how it works Dopus5, i attach videos so it's easier to understand, as I said, I do not like Dopus5 i wanted to find a solution with the Workbench Standard, anyway WBRun it does not work and it's not the only thing that does not work on Dopus5.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 April 2018 at 00:58.
Old 08 April 2018, 03:01   #2272
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
AmigaSystem what I see is that you find a problem with AmiStart trying to open Ram as a window with icons from there.
No, RAM Disk i opened it from the Shell with WBRun "Command WBRun RAM:" with Shell from Dopus5 it does not work !
Old 08 April 2018, 03:03   #2273
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I was going to edit my post, but I will write here.... On the other side, it looks to me that or there is something that I'm missing -I don't know how to get- or there is something missing in the icon.library that doesn't work with DOpus5, as I can not save the volumes icons positions at that point after hiding their icons on screen.

I mean to save the window size with the right DOpus's bar size - My idea is that it's only related to DOpus5 and nothing to be with the icon.library-

Last edited by Retrofan; 09 April 2018 at 02:36.
Old 08 April 2018, 03:09   #2274
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes, i had noticed this too (save disabled), saving windows icons with Dopus5 è always been annoying, and it's not the only thing, which is why i like the Workbench Standard OS3.9.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 08 April 2018 at 03:15.
Old 08 April 2018, 10:27   #2275
kolla
Banned

Quote:
No up OS3.9 there are no applications that do this, something exists on it OS 3.1 (PowerWindows)

IconifyGadget still leaves its icon on the Workbench (Iconify) and then I do not think it works on OS 3.9 or RTG Screen
You can check out ThoR's layers.library...
http://aminet.net/package/util/sys/layers

in the examples directory, clippy and snappy hacks. He would never recommend using them though, hehe
Old 08 April 2018, 10:29   #2276
kolla
Banned

If I recall correctly, DOpus5 uses its own method for saving icon positions, and there is some ENV:dopus/ variable for telling it to use the same method as Workbench.
Old 08 April 2018, 13:54   #2277
daxb

Quote:
No, RAM Disk i opened it from the Shell with WBRun "Command WBRun RAM:" with Shell from Dopus5 it does not work !
WBRun it's task is "Runs programs in WB mode from any CLI". Feel lucky if it opens windows on WB.

Alternative on DOpus5 you can do at least this:
Only from DOpus5 CLI:
Code:
scandir Ram: new
From any Shell:
Code:
rx "address dopus.1; command scandir 'Ram:' new"
or
Code:
rx "address dopus.1; lister new 'Ram:'"
If you want it short then create an ARexx script, save it, set script bit and you can do the same as WBRun and more.
Old 08 April 2018, 19:36   #2278
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
WBRun it's task is "Runs programs in WB mode from any CLI". Feel lucky if it opens windows on WB.

Alternative on DOpus5 you can do at least this:
Only from DOpus5 CLI:
Code:
scandir Ram: new
From any Shell:
Code:
rx "address dopus.1; command scandir 'Ram:' new"
or
Code:
rx "address dopus.1; lister new 'Ram:'"
If you want it short then create an ARexx script, save it, set script bit and you can do the same as WBRun and more.
With these scripts I have the same result of the click on the screen as shown in THIS video of mine
Old 08 April 2018, 20:23   #2279
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
If I recall correctly, DOpus5 uses its own method for saving icon positions, and there is some ENV:dopus/ variable for telling it to use the same method as Workbench.
I do not know the variable, Dopus5 he does not use le Def_Icons then as mentioned, i do not like Dopus5, on a RTG system it is much better OS3.9 BB4 + AFA OS extension

Quote:
You can check out ThoR's layers.library...
layers.library i tested it several times and I have to be honest it never worked, to tell the truth I never understood exactly what it is for (google translator does not help)
Old 08 April 2018, 20:41   #2280
kolla
Banned

Quote:
I do not know the variable, Dopus5 he does not use le Def_Icons then as mentioned, i do not like Dopus5, on a RTG system it is much better OS3.9 BB4 + AFA OS extension
The problem is the DOpus already had its own deficons before DefIcons came along (as part of NewIcons), and DefIcons didn't even get an editor before OS3.5 or maybe even 3.9, I don't remember. I would say the DOpus5 way of doing it is far superior, the DefIcons editor of OS3.9 is not elegant or easy to use at all.

Quote:
layers.library i tested it several times and I have to be honest it never worked, to tell the truth I never understood exactly what it is for (google translator does not help)
Never worked? What do you mean? All you do is load it with LoadModule to replace the layers library in the kickstart, or you build it into your kickstart if you are into building custom kickstarts. What it does? It vastly improves speed when there are multiple windows on the screen

[ Show youtube player ]

After watching a few minutes of windows opening slower and slower, you may want to skip forward to 7:10 or so, before seeing the rest. What takes 7 minutes(!) with layers.library 40.1, takes 4 seconds with layers.library 45.19.