English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2008, 18:28   #1
aikend

A4000 no cards recognized

Got myself an Amiga A4000 the other day which is cool I have to say, it's a Rev B board with the A3640 rev 3.1 processor board and 3.0 ROMs, got several cards with it too,

Picasso II 2mg rev 1.2
Commodore A4091 rev B scsi II controller
Commodore A2286 rev 6 with rev 8.1 sandwitchboard
Hydra Systems Ami Ganet Rev 1.1A Ethernet Card
OpelVision rev 1.0 card
Digital Processing Systems A3150 rev 4 Personal Animation Recorder
Alfa Data Tandem rev 1.2 CD/IDE controller

Seem to be having problems with the rev B riser card though, no matter which card I put in to the machine it's not recognised in showconfig, I put the Picasso in and it showed that there is a board in the machine and two
entries come up,

Card in second slot
Board (unidentified): Prod=2167/11($877/$B) (@$200000 2meg)
Board (unidentified): Prod=2167/12($877/$C) (@$E90000 64K)

If I put the card in the third slot no card is seen at all but if I put it in the
top slot the card shows the same as above, seems the problem might be on slot 3 and the autoconfig signal is not getting back to pin 11.
Had a look on the web and found
http://www.l8r.net/technical/wblock/a4000hard/excrdnot.html which says to test the continuity of the pins 11 to 11 and 12 to 12 on each slot of the riser which I have done, not brave enough to do the running test though :-)

So although the machine boots up and the harddrive works fine I can't use
any of the cards so the wonders of high resolution display is not available, wondered if anyone has ever had a problem like that or have any suggestions as to what I can try to test and figure out what's wrong with it.

Old 27 April 2008, 19:45   #2
alphonsus

Have you tried cleaning the edge connectors and slots with cleaning fluid - alcohol or similar?

Try testing without the harddrive attached as older drives can take a lot of power. If there's not enough power reaching the cards they won't configure properly. You may not be getting enough power from the power pack.
Old 27 April 2008, 19:45   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

When this happened to me... the daughter card was broken. I got a replacement on ebay for under £10

But it could always be your buster.
Old 27 April 2008, 20:51   #4
alphonsus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
When this happened to me... the daughter card was broken. I got a replacement on ebay for under £10

But it could always be your buster.
You saying his buster's bust?
Old 27 April 2008, 21:30   #5
aikend

Cleaned the edge connectors and the slots but still the same.
As for the harddrive, I have a fairly new maxtor drive in the machine so hopefully it is not the problem, can't test it though as the floppy drive is reading bad sectors on ever disk I have so can't boot from it, think that's on it's last legs. Just one of those little gotcha's I've had to deal with in my quest to bring this machine back to life.
Was a song and dance building the maxtor too, with the aros/winuae combination and several hours of crossed fingers I managed to bring partition/format and install wb3.0 and bring the system online.
I did have to clean up battery spillage and replace the battery, had a good look around the area and there was no damage, a little blue corrosion on the pins of the chip labelled F245 next to the battery, no pins broken though
Busted buster eh!, is there any way of testing it? I see that the chip has
390539-11 45-Super Buster on it

Old 27 April 2008, 21:41   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you have no spares I wouldnt rush out to get one just yet.
Old 27 April 2008, 23:01   #7
aikend

hehe hope not, would not know where to rush out too, are there many places that still stock amiga parts or is it more hoping someone has one knocking around, I know I'd have to get some things for the machine but did not bargin on having to get a riser card or any chips straight away

Old 28 April 2008, 00:49   #8
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
http://www.vesalia.de/e_buster11.htm
Old 29 April 2008, 13:09   #9
aikend

Thanks for the buster link, I'll keep that handy, was looking on ebay today for daughter cards, found this one, ebay item 130200862217 think the price is just a tad high even with the dollar value taking a nose dive :-)

Old 21 November 2011, 04:03   #10
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikend View Post
Cleaned the edge connectors and the slots but still the same.
As for the harddrive, I have a fairly new maxtor drive in the machine so hopefully it is not the problem, can't test it though as the floppy drive is reading bad sectors on ever disk I have so can't boot from it, think that's on it's last legs. Just one of those little gotcha's I've had to deal with in my quest to bring this machine back to life.
Was a song and dance building the maxtor too, with the aros/winuae combination and several hours of crossed fingers I managed to bring partition/format and install wb3.0 and bring the system online.
I did have to clean up battery spillage and replace the battery, had a good look around the area and there was no damage, a little blue corrosion on the pins of the chip labelled F245 next to the battery, no pins broken though
Busted buster eh!, is there any way of testing it? I see that the chip has
390539-11 45-Super Buster on it
Hi all!

I have the same situation... I followed the advice Warren Block's page about Expansion Cards Not Recognized by Rhett Rodewald but all the connections seem fine: I tested every pins 11 and 12 of each slots as well as the connections to and from the74HCT32N chip on the daughter board. (I also cleaned the connectors and only plug one card, so power should not be an issue.)

Is there a way of testing if the Buster chip is indeed busted?

Cheers!
Old 21 November 2011, 19:57   #11
Akiko

I had a similar problem with one of my 4000's few years back, swapped the daughter board, and Buster but still no joy. It was finally resolved when I replaced the CAPS, so was likely the result of a timming issue.
Old 21 November 2011, 20:11   #12
tygre
Returning fan!

Thanks Akiko! Forgive my ignorance though: what caps are you mentioning? Would you know how I could test it?

Cheers!