English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 27 November 2009, 23:05   #1
StarEye
Zone Friend

Martyn (Team 17) on King of Thieves

Sorry to get your hopes up, but I just wanted to mention this. Not sure if anyone has ever asked him about this game. Either way, he resides on the Eurogamer.net forums and website under the name "spadge", and I asked him about King of Thieves. Apparently it didn't play very well at all, and was their first canned game. Here's my question, word for word:

"spadge: remember that unreleased Amiga game you were making, Thief's Guild or something like that? Whatever happened to it? Saw a couple of screenshots, and it basically looked like a medieval Alien Breed, I was anticipating that.

King of Thieves, that's what it was called."

and here's his full reply:

"Yeah, King of Thieves was intended to be very much along the lines of a fantasy/pirate/medieval alien breed. Unfortunately it didn't play very well and it was (I think) the first game we really canned, which was quite sad. We're back to similar working conditions of our former days with self-publishing/digital after a decade or so working with 3rd party publishers and it feels great. It's nice to be working on the stuff we want to again, not what a publisher -thinks- we should be "

Yeah, I know this isn't big news or anything. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 28 November 2009, 00:13   #2
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Hmm i remember the unusual view but it looked to be coming on all the same back then

Anything like this is always interesting and it's nice to know Martyn Brown still has a company doing game software - even though in truth i wasn't the biggest fan
Old 28 November 2009, 14:48   #3
mailman
Zone Friend

@StarEye

Thanks for the information.
Old 29 November 2009, 23:22   #4
JohnnyBeGood

Funny he should say that, because he has said on numrous occasions (also on an interview on lemon amiga if I recall) stateting that King of Thieves was a mockup made to tease amiga magazines.

I wonder if beta or even alpha exists of the game? Or do they simple delete everything once they decides that it's canned?