English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 22 November 2014, 22:24   #1
earok

Gloom total conversions

Hi all,

Czeslaw Mnich has written a fantastic guide on how to mod most aspects of Gloom that weren't covered in the Gloom map editor documentation, including enemies, sounds and transition pictures (although it's in Polish it translates pretty well with Google Translate).

He's done many, many cool levels with interesting themes, but the coolest thing he's done for Gloom is a total conversion based on 8-Bit Killer. Only three levels have been released publicly so far but I'm really looking forward to the final release (even if the Helicopter boss fight isn't accurate!). There's a standalone ADF that can be downloaded from the page containing the guide.

I found the guide through Nittamituaki's gloom mod page, he has made his own 1-level Total Conversions based on Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy X.

The 8-Bit Killer conversion inspired me to work on my own Gloom mod, a conversion of the DOS/PS1/Saturn shooter "Alien Trilogy". I'll post a one-level demo when it's ready.

Please let us know if you're interested in doing your own mods. The level editor can be downloaded from Ganja's gloom mod page.
Old 22 November 2014, 22:48   #2
stu232
Utterly Lost....

Hehe, that's awesome.

I'll happily play any mods that are released.
Old 24 November 2014, 16:53   #3
Reido

Cool, really enjoyed Alien Trilogy on Saturn, good luck!
Old 25 November 2014, 11:14   #4
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

The Chrono Trigger one is really well-done, bravo nittamituaki
Old 29 November 2014, 07:17   #5
earok

Thanks Nitta, I'll update my work-in-progress compilation with your updated version + your fixed version of Gloom 3.
Old 07 December 2014, 20:16   #6
Leon

Hello Amigans!

I created a new maps for the 8Bit Killer game.
- 7 maps for combat game,
- 10 maps for 2 player game (7 modified from combat game).

You can download both versions here: 8bitkillerADF and 8bitkillerLHA.

Enjoy!

Old 08 December 2014, 04:34   #7
Cobe

@Leon
Niice Leon! Thanks and welcome
I tested LHA version and came upon a same boot problem. I'd say it is because there's nowhere playgloom file... so I rewrote startup-sequence and made bootable CD32 iso.
Here's my bad footage of me playing it badly on real stock cd32. I'm ashamed now nittamituaki that I'm so much worse than you
[ Show youtube player ]
If you don't like it tell me to remove it.

and here's CD32 iso link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdmkg4rvva...iller.iso?dl=0

I think this could be stand alone release on cd32.co.uk or maybe Earok would want to add it to his incoming gloom compilation, if you two already didn't speak about that I'm sure he'll contact you soon.

And one other thing. I just noticed that with cd32 joypad you can't rotate while going strafe. I'm thinking does anyone knows for sure is it because cd32 doesn't support some key combination with forward or reverse key?

@Earok, maybe that's why I failed quickly with my multitasking idea cause i mapped the keys to forward and reverse... stupid, next to Up and Down I'll have to try it again
Old 08 December 2014, 08:29   #8
Cobe

well maybe that's better. I overseen 8bitkiller executable and just wrote gloom2. We'll wait to hear from leon is there any diferences between these two ways to start game. And what's "!" for?
Old 08 December 2014, 13:46   #9
Leon

2 versions of the game works perfect but at the very end I changed title name from playgloom to 8bitkiller and I forgot to change this in the startup-sequence.
Now both versions (lha/adf) runs properly. Playing as a single player game is not easy. Gloom file is for Classic Gloom and Gloom2 for Gloom Deluxe.
Using gloom file instead of gloom2 colors are not displayed correctly. I think will be better to leave this for ADF version.
I would like to replace the player object but in the original 8bitkiller was drawn in 1 direction. Next my step will be Deathmask 3D.
Old 22 December 2014, 22:30   #10
Leon

Deathmask 3D is now available!

I created a new maps for the Deathmask 3D.
- 7 maps for combat game (the same for the three worlds),
- 10 maps for 2 player game (7 modified from combat game).

You can download both versions here: Deathmask3D (ADF) and Deathmask3D (LHA).

NOTE: To successfully launch the game on ECS (ADF Version) you need to start the game without Startup-Sequence, then type LoadWB, run "Setup" program located on the floppy disk and save the settings. The next time when you load the game you don't have to repeat this step. By default, the game uses the AGA chipset. I turned off the loading Setup program to save more memory.

I modified a little bit 8BitKiller game. Now 3 last levels are much difficult. I added also a new object for the player. The game can be downloaded from the old links.

Enjoy!
Old 22 December 2014, 22:35   #11
Leon

I forgot to share with you a picture from the game.

Old 23 December 2014, 01:02   #12
earok

@Leon wow, that looks amazing. Safe to say it looks better than the original game

@Nitta and Leon I'm going to launch a CD32 community compilation for Christmas in the next couple of days.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75404

If it's all good with you I'd like to include
- Death Mask
- 8 Bit Killer
- Spekkio Battle
- Jecht Battle
- ?Nittas super secret Christmas mod?

I might put in an effort to see if I can get my one level Alien Trilogy demo completed for it.

@Cobe sorry I missed your message, yes I am intending to include all of these mods in the Gloom super collection for the unofficial ports blog
Old 23 December 2014, 02:59   #13
earok

I haven't had a good chance to take a look at it but I'm sure the barrel explosion is perfect for what I need.

Happy to include your mod without gloomgame file. Actually will it need to run in Gloom Classic or Gloom Deluxe engine? (I'm pretty sure Gloom Classic CD32 engine saves to NVRAM instead of gloomgame, so it can save even without floppy disks or hard drive)
Old 23 December 2014, 05:43   #14
earok

Ah ok, it's probably best if we the deluxe version if there are any problems with graphics. It might be possible to get gloomgame to save to NVRAM anyway.
Old 23 December 2014, 05:49   #15
earok

@nitta and @leon

I made a custom hacked version of the Gloom Classic engine, although I couldn't replicate the changes in Gloom Deluxe as Deluxe is crunched in a way I can't decrunch.

The only difference is the player is constantly moving forward and the forward/reverse buttons have no effect.

I was basically planning to make a Star Wars rogue squadron mod (with Death Star and Hoth levels) but I haven't found time to work on it, would either of you be interested in the file?
Old 23 December 2014, 11:22   #16
Cobe

Glad to see you back working hard after short break
Old 23 December 2014, 14:02   #17
Leon

Did you try "Crunch-Mania" to unpack files?
How to use the "Crunch-Mania"?

1. Open the Crunch-Mania V1.91t program.
2. Click on the button "DATA" instead of the default "RELOC"
3. Click on the "Load File" and select any file which was packed with a packer "CRM2"
Then click on the "Save File", select the destination to the RAM disk, and enter a name for the file.
Old 24 December 2014, 02:55   #18
earok

@Cobe cheers mate

@Leon I tried using crunch mania, but yeah as Nitta said its the "gloom2" file I can't decrunch.
Old 24 December 2014, 05:25   #19
Reido

Great work everyone, me and my CD32 are enjoying these TC's! Earok hope you get the Alien Trilogy demo done for Xmas, very excited about that!!
Old 24 December 2014, 09:30   #20
earok

@Reido thanks! I appreciate it, unfortunately I haven't made much progress on it recently but will try to get it done by the end of Christmas (at least Christmas Hawaii time!)

The ground work is done though (Both Facehugger and Xenomorph enemies are present in the mod, half of the textures are there and Nitta has given me a solution for simulating the exploding barrels in level 1), it's just something I have to sit down and focus on for a few hours.