English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 August 2021, 19:29   #1
Foebane
Banned

Has anyone else created front-ends for Amiga games or demos?

I have spent the last few months developing ADLaunch, a front-end menu system for Amiga demos primarily, but which I've also used for games as well. It works with several core configurations for WinUAE, which are modified for each demo or game as necessary, and it uses the WinUAE command-line extensively for passing parameters.

When the program is run, a config/image folder is run and the configurations added to a menu list, with the corresponding images showing up when an item is selected. The configuration contains an exe filename in the executable folder, with a Pouet.net reference number for the production (or none at all for games) and a core configuration for it to run on in WinUAE. Then follows any extra parameters to modify the core configuration if needed, and extra information such as a script to run multi-file demos or games in LHA archives as part of the autorun feature.

The project is still work in progress, but is stable and works well.

This is my Amiga front-end, I was wondering if anyone had programmed their own?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADLaunch.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	72854  

Last edited by Foebane; 12 August 2021 at 21:25.
Old 12 August 2021, 21:03   #2
tero

I started a frontend some time ago. The most complex thing was the tosec parser to get as much information as possible from the tosec .dat file.

With this you can create a database of games within the frontend. Scan you collection and have it automatically sorted within the database, no matter how the disks are named. (using the hash provided by the dat file.)

As a bonus each scanned tosec .dat creates a category based of the filename that can be selected in the mainwindow. That's how the Games categorie was created in the screenshot. Categories can be created manually too, but having it automated is nice too.

Other features are scanning for doubles. Creating adf/hdf. Import games from Amiga forever cd and Winuae/fs-use configurations. Exporting tosec miss/have lists.

Not all features are working 100% atm and i have a few things on the todo list. Just not much time to work on it.

The database is empty, so there is not much to see. Games are only shown in the list if a disk exist for it. But one of the screenshots shows the tosec debug window

Screenshots:

Name:	mainwin.png
Views:	157
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	72849 Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.png
Views:	140
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	72850

Name:	settings2.png
Views:	161
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	72851 Click image for larger version

Name:	tosecdebug.png
Views:	129
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	72853
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	settings3.png
Views:	119
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	72852  
Old 13 August 2021, 00:50   #3
fgh

I made a simple one for my mame cab, but it only has to handle my favourite games, so not a full blown front end by any means

But it does run mame games and winuae save states, and switches game graphics and button LED colors by joystick input left/right.
Made in purebasic.

(PS: Sorry, I don’t know why it rotated my pics)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EE6BA8FD-C6A3-432E-A790-899D6F7245B6.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	72855   Click image for larger version

Name:	32CB1697-CE7C-4575-8288-9DCC22F5FED5.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	72856   Click image for larger version

Name:	359F8FDD-AFAC-4FD9-B9D8-A592FDD7A03B.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	72857  
Old 13 August 2021, 10:24   #4
mrv2k

I'm working on a WHDLoad/CD32 launcher at the moment....

Last edited by mrv2k; 13 August 2021 at 10:28. Reason: Update
Old 13 August 2021, 12:16   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Not sure if we can consider my reinstallDDWC scrip as a "front-end"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post
I made a simple one for my mame cab, but it only has to handle my favourite games, so not a full blown front end by any means

But it does run mame games and winuae save states, and switches game graphics and button LED colors by joystick input left/right.
Made in purebasic.

Really nice Amiga arcade cabinet

Last edited by malko; 13 August 2021 at 12:26.
Old 13 August 2021, 13:43   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

"UltraMiggy". Excellent name.
Old 13 August 2021, 13:46   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgh View Post

Made in purebasic.

I like your Amiga arcade cabinet! Is each one of those panels an LCD screen? How did you get the different shapes?
Old 18 August 2021, 11:11   #8
lyzanxia

I like the ultramiggy Will it be faster than igame? Hate the fact that it is so slow and dependant on extra libraries
Old 19 August 2021, 00:02   #9
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzanxia View Post
I like the ultramiggy Will it be faster than igame? Hate the fact that it is so slow and dependant on extra libraries
What I don't get with the UltraMiggy is why so much detailed database information? Is it being typed in by hand, or read in from an online source or database file?

With ADLaunch, I have to manually download the game or demo files, tailor them in Explorer, then create the blank config file to edit the specifics for the app, and finally go into WinUAE to take a picture. But from then on, I can edit the config within ADLaunch to fine-tune it. I don't rely on a database at all.

Another thing I don't get about these collections is the example of "A-Train" - why are so many versions needed, so many languages? Why not just choose one and be done with it?