English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 February 2019, 15:18   #61
MartinW

Completely missed the post for the last one. I could be tempted by Chipping Sodbury. Only 80 miles / 2 hours so a bit closer.
Old 15 February 2019, 07:48   #62
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Completely missed the post for the last one. I could be tempted by Chipping Sodbury. Only 80 miles / 2 hours so a bit closer.
You'll be pleased to learn that we'll be holding another SWAG all day meeting there on Saturday 18th May from 11am - 10pm.

This event has been sponsored by an individual who wishes to remain anonymous for the moment but who will be running a presentation and demonstrations at the event.

Drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send you more info.
Old 13 April 2019, 15:42   #63
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

SWAG #9 - Saturday 18th May, 10am - 10pm
Sponsored by Stephen Jones of Checkmate

We are returning to Chipping Sodbury near Bristol for our next meet but this time we will be in the presence of Stephen Jones of Checkmate. 30 Years after the original introduction of the Checkmate case, Stephen is now putting his finishing touches to his latest creation following a successful Kickstarter campaign that will bring a new highly configurable case for your existing Amiga. Follow the progress on his website or come and see the new case for yourself at SWAG #9.

Stephen has also very kindly sponsored the event and covered all room hire costs. If you see him on the day then please do say “Thank you”. He, more than anyone else, has made the day possible.

The event is being held at Dodington Parish Hall, Chipping Sodbury, on Saturday 18th May, and runs for a whopping 12 hours from 10am to 10pm. Along with Stephen’s case unveiling we’ll have our tech team on site upgrading and repairing classic Amiga hardware, mod tracker demonstrations, Deluxe Paint tutorials, game tournaments and much more besides. If you haven’t been to a previous SWAG all day event then this would be a great time for you to come along.

Since we have been growing rapidly, we’ve decided to set up a booking system so you can reserve a table. The booking system will open at Saturday at 6pm UK Time, so get your order in sooner rather than later. Tables are limited! If you just wish to attend but do not require a table then you will still be very welcome. Regardless of whether you’re booking a table or not, the attendance cost is £5.50, to be paid in advance. This covers the cost of lunch, snacks, soft drinks, tea/coffee and disposables. Under 18s accompanied by a fee paying adult are free, but do let us know you’re bringing them so that we have an idea of numbers and know how many sandwiches to order for lunch.

We look forward to seeing you!

Tickets go on sale at 6:00pm UK time on Saturday 13th April 2019.

For more information, go to: https://www.southwestamiga.org.uk
Old 13 April 2019, 16:43   #64
MartinW

Hi Rob,

Seriously thinking of coming to this. Do you think that there would be interest in a fully loaded GB-A1000 (68060 @ 100mhz + RTG)? And also by then I will have a fully loaded Mister FPGA setup too. If there might be interest in showing them off, would that be a case of needing to book a table?

I would be on my own and aside from the fact I’ve met yourself at arcade gatherings a few times, I won’t know anyone!

Would probably have to stay somewhere the night before too if I am to get there by 10!!!
Old 13 April 2019, 16:59   #65
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Hi Rob,

Seriously thinking of coming to this. Do you think that there would be interest in a fully loaded GB-A1000 (68060 @ 100mhz + RTG)? And also by then I will have a fully loaded Mister FPGA setup too. If there might be interest in showing them off, would that be a case of needing to book a table?

I would be on my own and aside from the fact I’ve met yourself at arcade gatherings a few times, I won’t know anyone!

Would probably have to stay somewhere the night before too if I am to get there by 10!!!
Martin,

You would be very welcome indeed.

There would definitely be interest in your set up. Please bring it along.

No need to worry about not knowing anyone. We had loads of people attend the all day event in January who came by themselves and had never met any of the other attendees before.

You wouldn't have to get there by 10:00am. If you booked a table we'd have that one assigned to you. The reason we set up a table booking system was because we wanted to ensure that everyone bringing kit had somewhere to set it up on. The other reason for the booking system is so that we know how much food to get in for lunch. For the evening there is a takeaway within walking distance.

A few of the attendees booked an Air b and b. If you were interested I could get the details.

It'd be great to see you there.
Old 13 April 2019, 17:03   #66
MartinW

Yes please. Will drop you a pm in a bit. And I will remember too this time
Old 13 April 2019, 19:19   #67
MartinW

OK, table booked - thanks for the heads-up
Old 08 May 2019, 10:18   #68
Beaknuke

UPDATE: We made some changes which has now freed up TWO tables, we are now about 10 days away until we meet. Book now on the website www.southwestamiga.org.uk

Thank you all above for Booking too, we are non-profit, monies from our sponsors, tables, visitors all goes back into bringing you a meet-up, we don't take any money from this.

Dave/Beak
Old 19 May 2019, 21:50   #69
MartinW

Thanks Dave, Rob and anyone else that put all the effort into organising the day, it was really enjoyable. I pretty much gave up trying to really DO anything and just got on with chatting to people - which was enjoyable enough by itself

And I really must organise for a clear plexi cover for the GBA for next time I take it anywhere. No, it really wasn't a Raspberry Pi in there

I was quite taken by the interest in both that machine and the MiSTer. Didn't really expect anyone to be all that interested.

One thing, where do you mostly all hang out online? Doesn't seem to really be here on EAB. I've heard that there are photos up on FB but I'd have to re-activate my account and join the group because it's closed so unfortunately I can't see any photos, feedback or comments about yesterday.
Old 24 May 2019, 08:45   #70
Beaknuke

Dare I say FB... lol .. anyway great to see you Martin, your GBA has been discussed on FB too lol

We will be announcing more soon but some of us are not preparing for our visit to Retro Revival's in Walsall 14-16th June where we showcase Retro Amiga's and others to the public.
Old 04 July 2019, 22:42   #71
Beaknuke

Just a quick heads up from South West Amiga Group - We are discussions about our next meet, bookmark the date 7th September, more will be posted in coming weeks.
Old 12 January 2022, 17:04   #72
rjd324

Another meet up on the 5th Feb.

Hopefully Rob doesn't mind me doing this, but there are still spots remaining.

http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk/
Old 25 January 2022, 00:04   #73
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd324 View Post
Another meet up on the 5th Feb.

Hopefully Rob doesn't mind me doing this, but there are still spots remaining.

http://www.southwestamiga.org.uk/
Much appreciated!

Another date for your diaries is Saturday 21st May. We've booked our annual Workbench event for that date (same venue) and already have several guest speakers lined-up as well as some lovely raffle prizes. Details for that event to follow once we've done and dusted with the 5th Feb one.
Old 28 August 2023, 13:27   #74
Beaknuke

This weekend we went live with the tickets for SWAG #15, still the same place in Chipping Sodbury and more information on the main website southwestamiga.org.uk
Old 28 August 2023, 15:38   #75
MartinW

I’ve not been since pre-covid and wanted to come to the next one. Sadly it clashes with something I’ve already had booked for months so I’ll have to wait until February to revisit!