English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 March 2009, 19:38   #1
Paul_s

Happy Retro Gamer #62 - Amiga special

An 8 page spread on the history of the Amiga....

It ain't laminated so my copy is stuck together after one read
Old 23 March 2009, 20:24   #2
pubzombie

Just got mine and it looks cool - sat on the loo and opened it 10 mins ago
they must have been listening to us
Old 23 March 2009, 22:05   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey guys,

Thanks for starting this "Retro Gamer subscribers' early announcement thread" for all us non-subscribers.

Looks like I'll be buying it again this month, then!

Keep up the good work,

prowler

PS. It's good to see that it's not 'Off Topic' this month!
Old 23 March 2009, 22:14   #4
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
An 8 page spread on the history of the Amiga....

It ain't laminated so my copy is stuck together after one read
I won't ask
Old 23 March 2009, 22:56   #5
Graham Humphrey

Got mine through the post today but only opened it a few minutes ago - haven't read it properly yet but it looks like a very interesting feature, and indeed some good articles in general.
Old 23 March 2009, 23:18   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Cool so when can us mortals expect to see it in smiths
Old 23 March 2009, 23:34   #7
Graham Humphrey

Thursday I think but don't quote me on that.
Old 23 March 2009, 23:40   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote from Retro Gamer, issue 61, page 110:

Quote:
LOAD 62
NEXT ISSUE on sale 26 March 2009
Old 24 March 2009, 00:17   #9
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Another must have copy for me, looks like I'll be getting a subscription at this rate!
Old 24 March 2009, 00:26   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
thats like 2 days a way .....................

spose i can wait

cheers for the info, know what I`m buying and reading at the weekend
Old 24 March 2009, 02:16   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
Another must have copy for me, looks like I'll be getting a subscription at this rate!
I have not been let down by an issue yet, all top notch!! a sub is the only way to go, not only do you save a few pints worth of pennies, you get a cracking read befor anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
thats like 2 days a way .....................

spose i can wait

cheers for the info, know what I`m buying and reading at the weekend
well worth it Cosmi! some fantastic retr0-ribbits in this issue, with a company profile on DMA design, Definitive write up on Metal Slug, the Sega Megadrive Celebration, Amiga Special, retr0-reviews on Saboteur, and sooooo much more.... its almost enought to make your head explode..... errr.... kinda like Paul_s....
Old 24 March 2009, 05:34   #12
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

How large (in pages) is this magazine? The subscription cost to Oz is 80GBP for 13 issues. That's about $AU15 per mag even at a reduced subscriber's rate. I wouldn't know where to get a single copy if I wanted to just see it.
Old 24 March 2009, 07:50   #13
Graham Humphrey

It's 116 pages.

Oh and for all those people who buy it on occasion and don't subscribe (in the UK at least), I don't know whether they still do, but they used to run an offer where if you subscribe you get three issues for £1, which is what finally persuaded me to take out a subscription. That was about September/October last year so I really have no idea if this offer is still running.
Old 24 March 2009, 10:56   #14
chiark
Needs a life

It's great to see an 8 page article on the Amiga, it really is. Big hugs to RG for doing it!

However... I don't want to be a whinger, or a pedant... But.

The article is good, but misleading in some places, and wrong in others.

Of the top of my head:
The author's lack of understanding of the A1000 kickstart is quite "special". Apparently, it needs to be installed after purchase: true I suppose, but I suspect the author has never used one... Or heard the special little tinkle when it's alive

Jay Miner's dog is Mitch, apparently. Most famous dog related to the Amiga, and the name is wrong. No mention of Joe Pillow, which I think is a fantastic story of the prototype amiga and would explain why that name is on the inside of the 1000 cover.

The 1500 being "better" than the 2000, because you can add a hard disk?

There's one boxout saying "did you know..." that the A1000 UK launch was delayed due to the ROM being rewritten because of the easter egg messages in there (the 'we made the amiga, Commodore 'ked it up' one). I've never seen that particular rumour before, but it doesn't make any sense. Yep, those are the same messages that are in 1.3...

It's a good article, but a little fact checking wouldn't have gone amiss, as there's plenty of knowledge in this community and others that could have been drawn upon.

But it is great to see a new article on the Amiga, and it is a difficult task to fit 28 years history into 8 pages, but I was hoping for revelations and not of the "did you know why the 1000 was delayed" type! Difficult after all this time, admittedly...

but thank you to RG for publishing it! I'm just hard to please
Old 24 March 2009, 12:13   #15
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
It's great to see an 8 page article on the Amiga, it really is. Big hugs to RG for doing it!

However... I don't want to be a whinger, or a pedant... But.

The article is good, but misleading in some places, and wrong in others.

Of the top of my head:
The author's lack of understanding of the A1000 kickstart is quite "special". Apparently, it needs to be installed after purchase: true I suppose, but I suspect the author has never used one... Or heard the special little tinkle when it's alive

Jay Miner's dog is Mitch, apparently. Most famous dog related to the Amiga, and the name is wrong. No mention of Joe Pillow, which I think is a fantastic story of the prototype amiga and would explain why that name is on the inside of the 1000 cover.

The 1500 being "better" than the 2000, because you can add a hard disk?

There's one boxout saying "did you know..." that the A1000 UK launch was delayed due to the ROM being rewritten because of the easter egg messages in there (the 'we made the amiga, Commodore 'ked it up' one). I've never seen that particular rumour before, but it doesn't make any sense. Yep, those are the same messages that are in 1.3...

It's a good article, but a little fact checking wouldn't have gone amiss, as there's plenty of knowledge in this community and others that could have been drawn upon.

But it is great to see a new article on the Amiga, and it is a difficult task to fit 28 years history into 8 pages, but I was hoping for revelations and not of the "did you know why the 1000 was delayed" type! Difficult after all this time, admittedly...

but thank you to RG for publishing it! I'm just hard to please
I don't agree I think you are expecting exactly what a knowledgeable customer paying for a magazine should expect. A feature on the Amiga that I have to pay money for to read that gets basic facts wrong like not knowing the A1000 loads kickstart and may lack EHB is a bit of rubbish journalism

Jeez the A1000 is one of the best computers ever made full stop, whether you're a Commodore fanatic or not you should get basic things like that right and it just shows me what a waste of money this magazine still is.

I could probably write a more interesting feature on the early history of how the Amiga came to be

1/10 FAIL please try harder or pay someone who knows about the Amiga inside out to write about it Retrogamer ta.
Old 24 March 2009, 13:12   #16
chiark
Needs a life

I didn't want to start a whingefest, as it could rapidly appear that our community is a bunch of grumpy old gits . Let's try to keep it positive.

I am going to write a letter pointing out a couple of corrections: i'll post it here before I send it if people like?
Old 24 March 2009, 13:55   #17
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I think I have first 20 or first issues of RetroGamer and I loved it back then. Bought an issue last month (it was from two months ago) and the magazine is not even remotely as good as it used to be A shame... it was just stuff you read on the internet anyway, for me it had almost no added value ... it might be just that issue though...
Old 24 March 2009, 14:34   #18
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
I could probably write a more interesting feature on the early history of how the Amiga came to be
/me looks forward to reading it
Old 24 March 2009, 15:20   #19
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@chiark

Hidden easter egg - famous story, I already heard it before but could not remember which version it was for v1.2 or v1.3. I read about it years and years ago or so on a web page that no longer exists. Much of those old stories no longer exist on the internets (most now are just rehashes and copies of existing webpages).

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news...y-part-5.ars/3

If you read ars technica and commodore: on the edge as well as amigahistory.co.uk you will get an excellent overview of the history. Unfortunately it's only 3 sources (i.e. they themselves may contain mistakes). Old archived newsgroup messages also contain some gems.
Old 24 March 2009, 15:30   #20
chiark
Needs a life

Ah, thanks for the link.

Quote:
The message was discovered embedded in the ROMs for the European PAL version of the Amiga 1000, just after the computer had gone on sale in the United Kingdom. Managers at Commodore UK pulled tens of thousands of Amigas off the shelves and refused to sell the machines until replacement ROM chips were sent
but.... but... but...

The Amiga 1000 didn't have a ROM chip!

Which sorta shoots this story down.

It was certainly there in my Amiga 500 with 1.2

Reading the ars story again, it's fairly obvious where the main research for the article in RG was done!

Last edited by chiark; 24 March 2009 at 15:35.