English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 28 December 2021, 12:02   #1
tolkien
AmigaMan

Floppy disk Req: CodeWars asm 68k support

CodeWars is a website where you can train your programming skills in different languages.
Would be great that they support asm 68k.

There is an issue in GitHub to add support for m68k assembly using vasm and the testrunner-68k from Kalms.
We could give it some love to get the attention of CodeWars people.

What do you think mates?
Old 30 December 2021, 21:32   #2
Bruce Abbott

I am sharpening my skills in m68k assembly every day - and producing useful code for the Amiga. Why would I want to waste my time trying to 'earn ranks and honor' on useless 'code challenges'?

Quote:
On Codewars, over a million developers have used our challenge environment, evolving and improving it through millions of uses, forming the trusted basis for Qualified's code assessments.
Behind every slick website is one goal - to make money. Like in The Matrix, they trick you into thinking you are living your own life while they drain your creative energy to power their business.

If anybody has any m68k code questions or wants to improve their programming skills and knowledge they should do it here, where it makes a real contribution to the Amiga community.
Old 31 December 2021, 11:21   #3
tolkien
AmigaMan

Ok Bruce. Thanks anyway!
Old 31 December 2021, 12:14   #4
xeleh

Quote:
Why would I want to waste my time trying to 'earn ranks and honor' on useless 'code challenges'?
Because it works. For some of us who haven't gone back to assembly programming since the 90's, those little "useless" coding challenges are interesting enough to dedicate an hour a day to them.

In my personal case I've been doing x86 assembly challenges (katas) for a couple of weeks now and it has really helped me remember a lot of concepts and get comfortable with low-level languages again.

Since I spent my teenage years programming in Amiga assembly, I would really love to have something similar for m68k assembly on Codewars and that's why I opened the issue on Github.
Old 31 December 2021, 12:53   #5
KONEY
OctaMED Music Composer

I do agree with Bruce but the lack of 68k support from any coding website is not tolerable
Old 01 January 2022, 07:09   #6
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeleh View Post
Because it works. For some of us who haven't gone back to assembly programming since the 90's, those little "useless" coding challenges are interesting enough to dedicate an hour a day to them.

In my personal case I've been doing x86 assembly challenges (katas) for a couple of weeks now and it has really helped me remember a lot of concepts and get comfortable with low-level languages again.
Fair enough. I was perhaps being a bit selfish just thinking about my own situation. Anything that can encourage people to get comfortable with low-level languages again is a good thing, especially 68k assembly.

Quote:
Since I spent my teenage years programming in Amiga assembly, I would really love to have something similar for m68k assembly on Codewars and that's why I opened the issue on Github.
Github - another evil influence that I will resist to my dying breath (or until my personal website becomes too expensive to maintain). I tell you, it ain't easy being a 64 year old curmudgeon who refuses to embrace the 'modern' world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONEY
the lack of 68k support from any coding website is not tolerable
I agree. Every day we sanctify the Goddess Amiga (hallowed be Her name) with gifts of 68k code. But mainstream coding websites forbid us from practicing our religion while on them. This violation of our human rights is unacceptable!
Old 01 January 2022, 12:16   #7
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
I am sharpening my skills in m68k assembly every day - and producing useful code for the Amiga. Why would I want to waste my time trying to 'earn ranks and honor' on useless 'code challenges'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Github - another evil influence that I will resist to my dying breath
I agree completely to both points!

On the other hand, I am of course willing to help, when there should be a problem with vasm. Looking at it, I didn't really understand what the problem is.
Old 01 January 2022, 22:32   #8
xeleh

Quote:
On the other hand, I am of course willing to help, when there should be a problem with vasm. Looking at it, I didn't really understand what the problem is.
The issue on Github is not really about a problem. It is a request to Codewars to add support for m68k assembly. The issue includes the basic required info (how to compile and how to run tests) and it had to be opened on Github because that is how the Codewars crew wants it.

Positive reactions to the issue (that is, positive votes on Github) might help to get the request prioritized. So thanks in advance to anyone in the EAB community willing to help.

Happy new year!