English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 24 June 2022, 11:44   #441
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Man, that graphic plays with my brain. If I look at it long enough it goes from rotating to the left to being stuck to slowly rotating to the right.

But the top one does that too, so you're close I'd say
Old 31 July 2022, 15:06   #442
Torti-the-Smurf

Those graphics looks kinda funky (not in a bad way)

The original Factor 5 version is still the most beautiful version imho, but its still cool to have an "alternative version".
( the intro graphics and some of the enemys are hilarious btw )

At least, my eyes are not burning anymore, because its now an option to use the Amiga Turrican Sprite. Thank god

But that should be the standard ; the PC Turri is and ugly as .... (sorry)

Hope you can finish it one day

I will test it on MIST now, lets see what happens in the Soot em up level

Thank you for all the hard work to made this happend

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 07 August 2022 at 20:50. Reason: typo found ; man, my eyesight is not the best anymore :(
Old 31 July 2022, 16:39   #443
Torti-the-Smurf

Ok, the Flying Levels are broken on an MIST FPGA. (was just a test for MIST)

The game is quiet interesing for me, because i played the Original Amiga version a thousand Times.

To see it "reimagined" is quiet interesting, i have to say Some of the Bosses and enemys are Hilarious

Anyway. Here are a few "Bugs" n Stuff.

1) The Flying level is broken on FPGA Amigas. (tried both with and without CACHE)

2) The Shooting SoundFX dosent "grow" with the size of the upgrades.
(5 spread sounds like 1; The biggest laser sounds like the smallest)

3) The SoundFX are ab bit too quiet.
(well, on the other hand; the music can be enjoyed better that way, i guess

4) The Amiga Turrican Sprite Should be the default.

5) The Trick "to pass the wind" in level 1 no longer works; but thats ok, i guess

6) I could not get the Screen clearing Super bomb to work... dont know...

7) The game is not finish .... Stupid me, did not read the INSTRUCTIONS

So, i think you know this stuff alread

Otherwise, i really enjoyed it so far; its a different take on an classic;

Would be awesome if you could finish it one day

Thank you very much

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 07 August 2022 at 20:57. Reason: More typos ; Man, i really need glasses :(
Old 31 July 2022, 16:57   #444
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The Mister FPGA minimig core is far from being perfect. I don't think bug reports are valid enough in this case. Try WinUAE or a real Amiga.
Old 31 July 2022, 17:33   #445
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The Mister FPGA minimig core is far from being perfect. I don't think bug reports are valid enough in this case. Try WinUAE or a real Amiga.
Funny, WinUAE gives me way more troubles (games or demos )

I know MIST FPGA is not done yet ( even if i use a core that is only 3 days old )

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 07 August 2022 at 20:59. Reason: typo
Old 31 July 2022, 17:39   #446
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yes, AGA and the 68020 CPU (which is much faster than the original one) aren't good enough yet. So, bug reports for games in development shouldn't been send using the Mister minimig. I don't think that the recent core in on par with WinUAE.
Old 31 July 2022, 17:45   #447
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Yes, AGA and the 68020 CPU (which is much faster than the original one) aren't good enough yet. So, bug reports for games in development shouldn't been send using the Mister minimig. I don't think that the recent core in on par with WinUAE.
That was NOT a bug report ( we have mantis bug tracker for that )

It was my experience played on a MIST FPGA Amiga, thats all.

WINUAE is amazing but is still prefer hardware over software. But thats just me. No offence mr nerd
Old 31 July 2022, 17:50   #448
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Uh? We are talking about Turrican AGA. And you just posted a bug above, using your Mister.

Quote:
Anyway. Here are a few Bugs n Stuff.

1) The Flying level is broken on FPGA Amigas. (tried both with and without CACHE)

btw: The flying levels seems fine on my real A1200 with turbocard. Read post #427-433 about the buggy minimig scrolling.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 31 July 2022 at 17:58.
Old 31 July 2022, 18:08   #449
Torti-the-Smurf

We have MANTIS for propper bug reports ( you should know that already ! )

Besides, nothing is "perfect".
If you remind yourself where WinUAE came from and how long it took to get to this point
then you would be maybe more humble.

I love WinUAE, but its NOT perfect (nothing is; well maybe the universe .... idk) and its just nice to have one device that
dosent need alot of power , dosent get hot or doesnt need much config to get the results.

Besides to have MIDI is really cool
So, everthing has its valid use.

Greetings.

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 07 August 2022 at 21:06. Reason: even more typos, damn
Old 31 July 2022, 18:10   #450
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

OK, i give up. Do what you want. You didn't get the point i've made... at all.
Old 31 July 2022, 18:13   #451
Torti-the-Smurf

What was that point exactly ?
--------------------------------------------------------
(edit)
lol ok, we did clear that out in a PM .... from a Smurf to a Nerd.

That was Fun

There was a little bit of that miss understanding, that can happend from time to time, thats ok.

all good now

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 01 August 2022 at 01:38. Reason: adding a extra smiley for better results :)
Old 07 August 2022, 17:53   #452
Torti-the-Smurf

The proof is in the Pudding; well, actually its in the Zone.

https://eab.abime.net/zone/It-Works.MOV
(sorry for that really bad quality - and that horrible buzzing sound in the video. My "smartphone" sucks)

Turrican 2 AGA v11 Flying level working on the latest build for MIST

Thanks to all the good fellows that are working hard on the Core(s)

But about the Turrican2 AGA Project.

@Muzza

How did you manage the Sound/Channels ?
Normally; when SFXs are playing one channel of the music gets lost, but not in this version

How is this possible ?

Maybe it gets explained somewhere in this thread but i did not read the hole thing, like Retro-Nerd assumed

Did somebody already asked you about that Sound Wonder ?

I really hope you can complete it one day

Great Stuff

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 07 August 2022 at 20:47. Reason: adding the link
Old 08 August 2022, 06:56   #453
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torti-the-Smurf View Post
Turrican 2 AGA v11 Flying level working on the latest build for MIST
How did you manage the Sound/Channels ?
Normally; when SFXs are playing one channel of the music gets lost, but not in this version
How is this possible ?
I really hope you can complete it one day
That's great news that the emulation has improved.For the audio, I integrated an audio mixer written by Roondar. It mixes 3 sound effects into 1 channel. The result is 3 music channels and 3 sound effect channels. The original had '2.5' music and '1.5' sound channels so it's a nice little improvement - appropriate for an AGA version.

I'm hoping the next release will be the completed game. All levels are now complete, but there is still a lot of other things to implement or fix up.
Old 08 August 2022, 11:42   #454
Torti-the-Smurf

That is awesome; thank you so much Muzza
Old 08 August 2022, 15:31   #455
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza View Post
I'm hoping the next release will be the completed game. All levels are now complete, but there is still a lot of other things to implement or fix up.
amazing, can't wait!
Old 08 August 2022, 15:54   #456
jotd
This cat is no more

let users test your game. It's big and full of bugs... impossible to see them all alone !

great work!
Old 03 September 2022, 23:23   #457
Apollon

anything new?
Old 04 September 2022, 11:55   #458
Muzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
let users test your game. It's big and full of bugs... impossible to see them all alone !
I plan to ask a few people who have already provided valuable feedback if they would like to test the final release. I don't want to drip feed builds right until the end, as the final release would be a bit of an anti-climax.
Of course, I can still fix bugs after v1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon View Post
anything new?
End game sequence is done, intro sequence (the menu that shows some gameplay alongside credits and hiscores) is half done. I have about 20 bugs/features in my list, and a couple of small enhancements I want to add.

I'm also deliberating on how to release it - specifically I'm considering making it a requirement that users have a copy of the original MS-DOS game. The art and music assets of the original would then be extracted and used to build the final game files (ADFs or WHDLoad files). This is far from ideal of course but would be for legal reasons to avoid distributing anything that is not my own work. The MS-DOS version is widely available, it's even on github.
On one hand it might be unnecessary, and creates hassle for the end player. On the other hand, it is the safer option, and has more flexibility as to what I can do with it and how loudly I can shout about it. The possibility of a PC and Android release also plays a part in my thinking - although I'm undecided whether this is a good idea.
Old 04 September 2022, 12:56   #459
roondar

Quote:
I'm also deliberating on how to release it - specifically I'm considering making it a requirement that users have a copy of the original MS-DOS game. The art and music assets of the original would then be extracted and used to build the final game files (ADFs or WHDLoad files).
I knew keeping my CD-ROM of the MS-DOS version of Turrican 2 all these years would come in handy one day
Old 07 September 2022, 09:52   #460
stefl0n

Quote:
I'm also deliberating on how to release it - specifically I'm considering making it a requirement that users have a copy of the original MS-DOS game. The art and music assets of the original would then be extracted and used to build the final game files (ADFs or WHDLoad files). This is far from ideal of course but would be for legal reasons to avoid distributing anything that is not my own work. The MS-DOS version is widely available, it's even on github.
On one hand it might be unnecessary, and creates hassle for the end player. On the other hand, it is the safer option, and has more flexibility as to what I can do with it and how loudly I can shout about it. The possibility of a PC and Android release also plays a part in my thinking - although I'm undecided whether this is a good idea.
Yeah, I think it would be advisable not to release a free game named "Turrican AGA somewhat" in these days as Factor 5 owns and actively uses the brand for the anthology/flashback game series. I'm sure Pekaro once choosed (or had to) to rename their Windows Turrican Port to T2002 for that reason 20 years ago...

Maybe you could consider releasing it as a "AGA Jump'n Run game player/engine for Turrican II DOS" or a "Bren McGuire game engine"? Similar to ScummVM, where you need the original game files to play the games. That "engine" executable may run from the workbench and can run the game using the ressources from the given DOS game (EXE). And there might be a kind of export/compile function to create standalone disk images or whdload files.

And who knows - in the future perhaps that "Engine" might support other Turrican ressources - to play a 256 color Turrican 3 in AGA with Megadrive ressources...?