English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 02 April 2011, 02:20   #1
Claw22000

Is WHDLoad even worth it on a system with No Fast Ram?

I'm basically giving up on getting my SX-1. It works completely fine but the Fast Mem will not work. I have tried all settings with 300+ ram chips. Thanks to Nathan for his kind donation . So I tried reinstalling the drive on WinUAE with ClassicWB lite. I can't seem to get enought mem even using AGlaunch holding MB1 durring boot. I just wanna play lemmings without the disk. correction I wanna play alot of games with out disk but dosn't seem like that happening anytime soon. Every game says can't allocate exp men. or something like that. Please help. Thanks

claw
Old 02 April 2011, 11:36   #2
Bloodwych

Zetro will have to answer this one as he tested AGLaunch on low mem setups. Might be worth asking here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57404

2MB is always an issue with certain WHDLoad games. Things like hard drive and disk buffers can also eat up different amounts of mem on boot, even with nothing else loaded. It's very frustrating I know, more so when you can't get fastram to work on the SX-1. It must be worth getting that SX-1 repaired however, but finding someone to do it is the hard thing.

Have you tried launching Lemmings from just the command prompt, using WBrun? That will leave the very max mem.
Old 02 April 2011, 12:31   #3
Retro1234
Phone Homer

How much Ram is showed free when loading WB?
alot of of games are on the CD32 Compilations that obviously run on 2mb not all WHDload. The CDTV version of Lemmings runs from HD.
Old 03 April 2011, 21:06   #4
Claw22000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
How much Ram is showed free when loading WB?
alot of of games are on the CD32 Compilations that obviously run on 2mb not all WHDload. The CDTV version of Lemmings runs from HD.
866,216 is left after WBC Lite loads. Now if I hold down the LMB durring boot I get 1,302,648 at prompt typeing avail. Went to games directory and tried lemmingscdtv command wbrun lemmingscdtv get a...

DOS-Error #103
(not enough memory availible)
on loading overlay "Resload"

I really need to find someone that knows enough about the SX-1 to help. I have alot of PC parts and other goodies to trade of someone wants to fix this for me. I'm pretty poor but if anyone know about this stuff and has time let me know well work something out.

Other than that if theres anything else you can think of to try it would be nice.

I'm getting the CD32 and CDTV 68 Gig collection right now so even if this never works the system is still usefull. However it would be nice to beable to bring it somewhere and just used it without haveing to bring a ton of disks with. And I would suppose the drive will burn out sooner or later. Then what would I do.

Thanks for everyones help I do appreciate it.

Fellow Amigian.
Old 03 April 2011, 21:45   #5
Bloodwych

Something is eating a lot of your ram - perhaps disk buffers??? Not familiar with the CD32 and SX-1.

Normally, ClassicWB LITE has at least 1400-1500K free on a 2MB machine under default boot, 1700-1900K with mouse button boots.
Old 03 April 2011, 21:47   #6
Claw22000

I am using loadmodule scsi.device since I have a 30G drive so I'm going to assume thats some of the problem. However I don't have much choice on that. Thanks for the fast responce though.
Old 03 April 2011, 23:24   #7
Bloodwych

That might be it!

You could use only the first 4GB or even 8GB without a replacement scsi.device and get some memory back. Then you will be able to run a few titles from hard drive.

Of course you always have the CD32 WHDLoad CD's for that, like Gary's iso's kicking around the net. In your case it's probably best using those (if you don't already) as they are designed for the 2MB on the CD32.
Old 04 April 2011, 22:24   #8
Claw22000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
That might be it!

You could use only the first 4GB or even 8GB without a replacement scsi.device and get some memory back. Then you will be able to run a few titles from hard drive.

Of course you always have the CD32 WHDLoad CD's for that, like Gary's iso's kicking around the net. In your case it's probably best using those (if you don't already) as they are designed for the 2MB on the CD32.
Sweet thanks I will have to look that up didn't even though about booting from the disk for WHDLoad stuff. Still want to get this fixed but don't really know where/who to turn too. If any one lives within driving distance of MN and wants to visit or me to visit you please help!
Old 05 April 2011, 13:31   #9
Bloodwych

Definitely use the CD32 compilation CD's - it's one of the best things about having a CD32!

Do a search on this forum, many posts, and Google. Gary made the original ones, but others have put together CD's also I think. Plenty of info around, and a lot of ISO's available.

Just burn and play WHDLoad games from the custom boot menu launch system (with screenshots and game info)!

Hope you manage to sort out your SX-1.