English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 February 2010, 11:21   #61
Lockon
Air supremacy

One more time will not hurt at all...
Those are my "all-time-three"

1. Interceptor - without competition regarding overall gameplay. Anyone infected with Bob's masterpiece should take a look at "jetfighter" - that's exactly what Interceptor should look/be if there was enough time available for development.

2. Combat pilot - for hardcore simmers only. This one requires advanced SA skills, weapons specs background and gift for tactics. First complex dynamic campaign generator. An Amiga you won't get any closer on real deal than this one (minus never finished TFX).

3. Falcon - great study sim, excellent mission disks. On the down side it was not so smooth like F/A-18, but it offers great flexible learning curve capabilities. Nice choice for arcade-to-serius flight simming upgrade path.

Other like FB, BOP, F-15 or CAP were interesting too, but had more tradeoff with respect to realism or detail.
Old 16 February 2010, 12:17   #62
mombasajoe

Their finest Hour
----------------
I like this very much. It is more a 3D-shooter than a real sim and the GFX are somewhat slow though. On the other hand there are burning planes, parachuting pilots (bailing out), good designed missions and even a very convinient mission builder....and a good variety of planes which "feel" and behave quite different.

Wings
------
Really an action game and not a sim. The only thing that is simulated is the hero´s diary. But a great story, nice athmosphere, great game. I like it.

Red Baron
----------
A real WWI sim, many, many different planes, nice career, "okayish" GFX, much fun but only with 060. I quite like it.

Knigts of the sky
----------------
I´ve bought the original those days and played it a lot - though it had a really awful mission design. Today I wont´t touch it anymore for the same reason.

Dawn Partol
-----------
I´ve played it a few days ago for the first time. Nice GFX, even on A500. Nice WWI sim which suffers from a missing career/campaign-mode (or am I too stupid to find the option)?

F15/F16/F29/f4/F117/F23974z63457xyz
---------------------------
I´ve tried most of them but to be honest firing missiles (mostly at dots at the horizon) and throwing flares is not my passion at all. Don´t like "prop-less" flightsims. I guess that includes F18, too. Sorry for that Just personal taste.
Old 16 February 2010, 13:22   #63
Paul_s

F-19 is the best flight sim I played, could spend hours on that.

Hated the follow up F-117A.

Knight of the Sky was good but very very slow on a stock Amiga.
Old 16 February 2010, 13:51   #64
salax54

Like alewis said before me, surprisingly no one makes mention of the FS II ! Not only was it the daddy, it was far superior ot its' other platform versions of the time. Besides the better graphics, the sound was also the most realistic. Try comparing by finding clips at youtube and you'll understand. Plus it had some features that i still consider awesome, like networked gaming where you could fly with other users and you could also message each one of them! And that was a game i bought in late '86 a few months after buying my A1000.. I spent countless hours on it, and managed to play WIRELESS!!! utilizing an FM transmitter hooked to the external modem tuning to a friend's FM transmission of an A500 running the same game.
Old 16 February 2010, 17:39   #65
laffer
Zone Friend

This is not an Amiga game (sorry about that), but it's one of the very few old 'flight sims' I rather enjoyed -

Stunt Island

But just to stay on topic... the only Amiga 'flight sim' I liked (a lot) is Wings. Not really a flight sim as such, but a great game.
Old 16 February 2010, 18:33   #66
Locash

Birds of Prey for me, its got a nice intro plus you can fly the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15 and almost get above the atmosphere.
Old 16 February 2010, 19:26   #67
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Yeah FS2 had quite the impact on me too having only really played Solo Flight(amazingly unique game) by that point and it represented a huge change in visuals.It was on my ST though at the time i played this but there was little difference of course between both ST and Amiga versions anyway

I always felt FS2 would have benefited having a mail run and scoring like that of Solo Flight as it lent itself very well to this type of thing.Though i couldn't do that however, i used to just enjoy the local default area of San Francisco by taking off from one runway and landing at another- firstly having changed to a more duller cloud setting

It's quite an exceptional sim when you play it a certain way but definitely it needed some sort of score based system or even a general point to the game.That's perhaps why it's not mentioned much
Old 16 February 2010, 19:32   #68
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Was Knights of the Sky really that slow then? I remember a friend playing it on his A500 while i played it on A1200- we both owned the original of course

It seemed a quite playable speed on the A500 but certainly it did appear sluggish as a comparison- not in the sense it was slow as in unplayable though
Old 16 February 2010, 19:47   #69
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Agreed!

Although Interceptor is great. Have I mentioned Interceptor yet?
It probably shifted quite a few Amigas didn't it

At the time it knocked you out how good it was and one of those games i think anyone with an Amiga should play.I remember seeing this around a friend's house when all i had was my ST and i was more than a bit jealous

How exactly do you kill that enemy carrier because iv'e shot hundreds of rockets at it and nothing
Old 16 February 2010, 20:33   #70
Lockon
Air supremacy

Finding holy grail - From Bob Dinnerman:

"Bob: Ah yes, the 'infamous' last mission of F/A-18 Interceptor... As far as what I believe I did, the destruction of all enemy aircraft plus the enemy sub and a successful return to base should do it. I must note though, that the enemy carrier sub never actually blows up even if it's deemed destroyed! However I'm admittedly a bit remiss on exactly what constitutes the carrier sub having been destroyed, that is, perhaps the minimum number of cannon or missile hits on it, etc. I apologize for my brain lapse on this detail from 15 years ago! Another detail that I'm curious to know is if after one elects to and successfully lands on the carrier sub and gets rearmed/refueled, can he/she resume the mission and blast away at the carrier some more?! Some day I should find and dig up the code, go through it and verify what conditions are required to complete that mission. Again, my humble apologies. A footnote: Maybe the elusiveness to being able to complete this mission (though unintentional) has contributed to the game?s lure??"
Old 16 February 2010, 21:08   #71
Adropac2
Zone Friend

hmm i'll try downing all those planes then

Thanks

Last edited by Adropac2; 16 February 2010 at 21:27.