English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 May 2020, 19:24   #41
xubidoo

Got myself a Playstation classic a while back,now modded with Autobleem 0.9 and a 64gb flash drive, runs everything ive tried great and even has an option to bump the res up so they look a little better.

Main reason for doing this is mostly due to the cost of PS1 games, a lot of the ones i wanted to play are pretty expensive these days,im not a collector or anything so just being able to play the games is enough for me.

Old 13 May 2020, 20:14   #42
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Even I got most of my consoles out of boxes in basement few weeks ago, we still emulate them rather than use hardware, including PSX.

I still remember impression PSX did on me when I first saw it back in 1995. Some games are still very playable, even graphics are bit chunky today...
Old 13 May 2020, 21:10   #43
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
I rather play the original arcade games (Strider, R-Type1+2)
In 1998, Virgin published an arcade perfect port of both R-Type games for the PSX.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/r-types
Also, Strider 1 was included as a bonus with the Strider 2 CD. In case you didn't check it out recently, it's pretty close to arcade perfect (a tiny bit less polished maybe).

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 July 2021 at 03:51.
Old 13 May 2020, 21:17   #44
Konrad

Didn't know that Strider1 was included with Strider2.
But I have an arcade cabinet in my living room where I can play those titles very faithful .
Thanks anyway .
Old 13 May 2020, 22:15   #45
Gilbert

I have R-Types but it's probably only arcade perfect if you have the NTSC version (for full speed)

I still play Playstation every now and again. - Everyone should get Kulaworld, Poy Poy (superb in multiplayer) and Vigilante 8 (best version if you use twin stick control)
Old 14 May 2020, 13:27   #46
FRQZ

I still like to play some games sometimes like Ridge Racer R4, Wipeout 2097 and 3 Special Edition, the Jumping Flash games and Tenchu in RetroArch.
There are some technical enhancements like up-scaling to any resolution, widescreen, the wobbly textures are corrected and dithering is better. Some games almost look like they are on PS2.

Old 15 May 2020, 00:24   #47
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I always knew it as PSX before release, it was never PS or PS1, in fact it wasn't ever known as the PS1 until that tiny PSOne thing was released.

As Retro Nerd said, if you look at the early mag stuff for it, it was PSX
Yes I'm not disputing that, it was definitely codenamed and known by the moniker PSX before it was released. But at the same time we don't refer to the N64 as the Ultra 64 or the Gamecube as the Dolphin do we?

Guess some things just stick in your brain.... ignore me

And yes the PS1 name reminds me of calling the Amiga the Amiga 1000 retrospectively to avoid confusion. If people wouldn't assume Playstation is referring to the PS4 these days it wouldn't be a problem. Irks me a bit when people call Unreal Tournament "UT99" as well lol

Still whatever you call it it's a great system which i still enjoy using today.
Old 15 May 2020, 00:56   #48
rare_j
Zone Friend

I've been playing quite a bit of PSX lately, never had one back in the day so everything I'm playing is with fresh eyes. Some highly rated stuff is unplayable due to graphics but I have discovered a few of the best games I've ever played.
Klonoa, Einhander, and R-Type Delta are totally awesome.
Castlevania Symphony of the Night is a must-play.
And Metal Gear Solid was very good.
Ridge Racer Type 4 I loved, one of my favourite racers of all time but it does need double resolution to be playable I think these days.
Also Pac Man World was a big surprise, very nicely done platformer.
Currently I'm playing through Final Fantasy 9 (first ever RPG ) which is very impressive. Four discs though so don't know if I'll see the end of this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I have R-Types but it's probably only arcade perfect if you have the NTSC version (for full speed)
I've finished both the NTSC and PAL versions, prefer the PAL version. The NTSC version seems too fast. The arcade plays at 55hz.
Old 15 May 2020, 14:23   #49
Biscuit
Baked Produce

The emulation corrections sound really interesting. Normally I'm a bit of a purist but I can see myself being swayed. Sadly I need to get a new computer for it. This one won't do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Also Pac Man World was a big surprise, very nicely done platformer.
That is a game I didn't expected to see mentioned, I've never even heard of it. I like a bit of Pac in many forms (Pac-man 256 is great) so I'm totally off to check that out.
Old 15 May 2020, 18:58   #50
spiff
Oh noes!

I think part of the "problem" is that the best ps1 stuff is still around as better ps3 or 4 versions today.. It diminishes the retro nostalgia part for me. Tekken, ridge racer, final fantasy, street fighter, wipe out, heck even the ps4 controller mostly feels like a late ps1.

I'm having more fun re-descovering segaCD/ PC-engine games and early DOS stuff.

Metal gear solid was bloody good when it came out though, felt like the first successful 3d as a movie and game... mmm and soul calibur.. and chrono cross. Ok maybe I do like the PSX, this is just the wrong forum.
Old 16 May 2020, 17:40   #51
SquawkBox

Activision's Apocalypse is a buoyant and fast-paced run'n gun game on the PS1. It shares with Die Hard Trilogy the fact that Bruce Willis character is the main protagonist.
Old 16 May 2020, 18:54   #52
rare_j
Zone Friend

I'm finding that games with fixed camera angles are working best with regards to games aging well. Fixed camera angles meant the developers could mitigate against the PS1's wobbly textures and lack of bilinear filtering, by placing the camera in such a way that these graphic flaws weren't an issue. Also it means no gameplay issues like the camera getting stuck, or simply not being able to see where you want to in the game.

I played a bit of Guardian's Crusade - not a great game - but I was drawn to to it and stuck at it for a while because the fixed camera angles help the game look splendid and ironed out a lot of common PS1 gameplay issues. In the end though it was just a bit of a boring game that didn't seem to be going anywhere.
Old 16 May 2020, 21:58   #53
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

I regularly play Dark Forces on PSX on my phone with a bluetooth pad
Old 18 May 2020, 10:13   #54
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Currently I'm playing through Final Fantasy 9 (first ever RPG ) which is very impressive. Four discs though so don't know if I'll see the end of this one.
I'm jealous. As first RPGs go, you picked a really good one. FF9 is my favorite of the series, the characters are amazing. And the music.

Four discs doesn't say anything for a Final Fantasy game, especially because a lot of content has to be duplicated on each disc being an open world game where you are free, encouraged and often required to revisit basically every area. FF games are way longer than their story because you can go on many collection quests; FF9 has the chocobo hot & cold game, a collectable card game and the weapon merging mechanic to begin with. I'd say you will get a minimum of 30 hours of gameplay out of it, if you don't do too much gear and level grinding on the side. Probably 40-60 hours is more realistic.
Old 18 May 2020, 13:27   #55
Anubis
Retro Gamer

FF IX is now available on XGP.
Old 19 May 2020, 19:15   #56
outsiderz
-[User]-

yes, i have start "auto destruct" again. i remember this game on my ps1. finished roundabound 85% of the game, then my save card broke...
Old 19 May 2020, 20:59   #57
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Probably 40-60 hours is more realistic.
Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking I'd breeze through it in ten hours.
I don't get access to the TV that often... might take a while but I'm determined to give it a try. I did really like the first two hours, it's obviously a serious piece of work.
Old 19 May 2020, 21:16   #58
DamienD
Banned

About 8 months ago me and my mate did a Resident Evil marathon; played RE1 / 2 / 3 from start to finish via ePSXe with my laptop hooked up to the 42" TV and Xbox 360 controllers.

After that played RE4 (which he'd never seen) via PCSX2. My poor old 2011 Acer laptop was getting very hot playing this, but survived.
Old 26 May 2020, 15:07   #59
Biscuit
Baked Produce

The talk of games with a fixed camera style got me reaching to try Martian Gothic: Unification. Has got potential if I can get through the early game.

I do like this old style. Would even be pleased to see a modern interpretation of it if someone can get the gameplay to match it well.

Is there a good list out there of all the fixed camera games on PSX? Off the top of my head I can think of Resident Evil series, Parasite Eve series, Martian Gothic, Alone in the Dark New Beginnings, Galerians. I must be missing lots more.
Old 11 June 2020, 16:32   #60
SquawkBox

Anyone heard of Panzer Bandit ? It is a beat'em all on the PS1 exclusively released in Japan, which was considered by some critics to be the PS take on Guardian Heroes.
Review follows :
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/panzer-bandit/