English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 May 2018, 06:45   #1
LOU

Amiga 4000 video slot, what video card to buy? ...

Hello all,

Thank you all for having me here again. So I've been working on my A4000/40 a few months now. It's quite a fun project and I've got a lot. One thing I did was purchase a big ram card. It seems to work only, however in the bottom video slot without producing any errors when running software. Found an Amazing IBM model M keyboard, original. It has a CF on the back expansion port, DVD rom, X-surf 100 and a Buddha IDE. Also a recently recapped 1084 monitor that was originally for an A500.

Honestly, I love it, was thinking about a scandoubler card or an RTG video card. My concern is this, since the big ram only works on the bottom slot properly can I install an RTG on the top slot? Is it really even worth it or should I just go for a scandoubler for the 4000 AGA compatible. What I would like is a video cable that could go to my monitor. Though, however I do have a Dell monitor with the firmware to support the Amiga, VGA. I'm learning a lot. Though I am not as good as some of you a noob. My question is would an RTG work with a cable that goes to an RGB or just VGA only. Is a scandoubler a better option. I have some programming books and love to learn. Then after, maybe a game to calm down at night following a hard days work. I suppose it depends on what I am doing? Having fun. My x-surf card is not configured, purchased easy net pro from Amigakit. That will be in another thread once I figure this out. I'm nearing completion and see no need for an 060 ... Thank you for reading ...

Old 01 June 2018, 02:13   #2
grelbfarlk

A classic RTG video card will take the original output of the Amiga RGB port for autoswitching quite happily. If you really have a need for a scandoubler, you have basically all of the normal options since the BigRAMPlus doesn't block the video slot, but I guess some of the Video Slot flicker fixers might interfere.

CV-3D and Picasso-IV the scandoubler part is removable so you could install that part in the video slot and the main board goes in one of the other Zorro slots. These cards are ridiculously expensive nowadays.

There is also that new Zorro RTG card the VA2000 but I don't know what you do about autoswitching outputs.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could get really any RTG card and get Ratte's monitor switcher, but you'd have to be a little creative on how to mount it.

Another option if you really want to pimp your A4000, is getting a Mediator with a Voodoo card, but then you have to do something about a monitor switcher. If you consider the Mediator route, it's pretty expensive but compared to buying only a Zorro Video card it's not that much more usually and you can get a PCI sound card and USB card cheaply ($10-$30) and still use the Zorro cards you already have.

For running workbench stuff any RTG card is going to be so much faster/nicer than the AGA output, but RTG cards don't do anything for floppy based Amiga games. You can mostly only use it on RTG programs/games, which there are a lot of now.