English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 April 2010, 19:04   #1
crazyegg

The Ultimate LCD TV for the Amiga At Long Last

Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to find this old Sharp Aquos Multisystem TV on craigslist.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JKGV2/...icsparadise-20

I've just finished testing about 20 games (using a NTSC Amiga 1200, a PAL Amiga 600 and a NTSC CD32) and I am happy to report that ALL games (PAL & NTSC) worked irrespective of type of Amiga (NTSC or PAL) and irrespective of boot up mode (NTSC or PAL).

The games are not cut-off at the bottom AND are in full colour AND running at propert speed. In addition, this TV is 4:3 with stereo speakers so that is a nice bonus.

Some thoughts:
I have tested many other multisystem TVs in the past without full success. All the games were black and white. So what makes this Sharp TV so special? Well, it has an option for the colour system called "auto". As such, I leave this option turned on so that the TV always picks whatever colour system (PAL, NTSC3, NTSC4, PAL -N, PAL-M, PAL60, AUTO) the Amiga dishes out.

As previously mentioned in another post, an NTSC Amiga (when booted up in PAL mode) will still be outputting a NTSC colour signal. As such, the Amiga is actually outputting NTSC50. This is not a standard and no previous multisystem TV that I tested supported this mode. Hence, all images were in black in white.

FYI, NTSC50 is the NTSC version of PAL60. However, PAL60 is a standard and many TVs support this mode.

In addition, the games are all in black and white when I pick any of the PAL modes. My guess is that the Sharp with the "auto" mode turned on is actually interpreting the NTSC50 signal correctly!

Regards,
ed...