English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 July 2021, 19:47   #1401
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
So are there any downsides to installing peterks icon library on 3.2?
You have to look at it for yourself, there are a few configuration options to consider since some behavior is a bit different from default.
Old 03 July 2021, 20:25   #1402
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
So are there any downsides to installing peterks icon library on 3.2?
No, when mateusz_s said that OS 3.2 is much slower than 3.1.4 then I can't believe it. I've discussed some things with the developer of the new Workbench and made suggestions how to make it faster by removing unnecessary refreshes, and he told me that he could find the slow code and fixed it. So, if 3.2 is slower then the installation was not correctly done. And that can't be fixed by installing my icon.library.

Whatever causes an OS 3.2 slowdown compared to 3.1.4, you first have to find the reason and fix the problem. Then you can install my library to get even more speed.
Old 03 July 2021, 20:27   #1403
crazyc

Being honest I know others have had some issues with speed on 3.2 but I haven't. It seems fine to me and I just installed your library firstly out of habit and secondly to be able to use some icons I wanted to use that didn't show up otherwise.
I haven't yet played with any options on your library but just went with it as it is.
Old 03 July 2021, 20:40   #1404
mateusz_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
No, when mateusz_s said that OS 3.2 is much slower than 3.1.4 then I can't believe it. I've discussed some things with the developer of the new Workbench and made suggestions how to make it faster by removing unnecessary refreshes, and he told me that he could find the slow code and fixed it. So, if 3.2 is slower then the installation was not correctly done. And that can't be fixed by installing my icon.library.

Whatever causes an OS 3.2 slowdown compared to 3.1.4, you first have to find the reason and fix the problem. Then you can install my library to get even more speed.

Yes, maybe this is the case, that some people updates or install 3.2 over their prev config not clean install..
Thanks for sharing additional informations
Old 03 July 2021, 21:54   #1405
AMIGASYSTEM

As said on another post OS 3.2 is faster than Os 3.1.4, but if you install it on other OS then it can become slow.

Peter's icon.library works very well on Os 3.2 and thanks to it is possible to use on Os 3.2 any kind of Icons.
Old 04 July 2021, 11:06   #1406
Lisko

One of beauties of AmigaOS is that if you know what you are doing there isn't much difference between an update or a clean install as an os installation it's only a matter of copying files. Obviously you must know your system very well and some basics of how the os works and of course it is easier if you have fully personalized your os from the scratch and not used some pre-built, heavy customized pack. I have updated from my 3.9 installation and the system is now way faster and uses slightly less chip-ram than before. The guys really did a good job with this OS.
Old 04 July 2021, 11:15   #1407
AMIGASYSTEM

An installation of OS 3.2 on OS 3.9 is not a good thing in my opinion, the two systems have different and incompatible system localization files, so you will not be able to use OS 3.9 system applications anymore.

Also, if you use the Startu-sequence of OS 3.9 you won't be able to run native OS 3.2 applications even if you use KickStart 3.2.

Things will work for you if you delete the OS 3.9 startup-sequence but in my opinion you will always encounter other inconsistencies.

In my opinion a Clean OS 3.2 and integrated with supported Applications is the best solution, this is my OS 3.2 dressed in White, with Applications configured for OS 3.2, everything is fast and functional.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 July 2021 at 07:04.
Old 04 July 2021, 11:57   #1408
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

To use 3.9 locale with 3.9 applications it is recommended to place the locale files in a new directory and patch the path in the executables. Then you can run everything simultaneously. But be aware that a lot of prefs settings are missing in 3.9. So only some utilities will make sense.

I wonder what 3.9 startup does so special that it brakes booting or even running 3.2 software? 3.2 apps should work even without booting and just minimalistic assigns/setup.

The complex part if you have to use loadmodule to enable 3.2 rom files, then you can easily mix things up to a not working state,since some modules depend on the others and will fail otherwise.
Old 04 July 2021, 12:24   #1409
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
To use 3.9 locale with 3.9 applications it is recommended to place the locale files in a new directory and patch the path in the executables. Then you can run everything simultaneously. But be aware that a lot of prefs settings are missing in 3.9. So only some utilities will make sense.
Yes already done, but a maneuver by experienced users
Quote:
I wonder what 3.9 startup does so special that it brakes booting or even running 3.2 software? 3.2 apps should work even without booting and just minimalistic assigns/setup.
Simple OS 3.9 at startup install "AmigaOS ROM Update" this involves replacing some "new libraries" started by KickStart 3.2 such as gadtools.library and Utility.library and other components of Kickstart 3.2.

Also here there is a solution as you mentioned using LoadModule, but as said you will always encounter inconsistencies

I enclose an experiment of mine starting OS 3.2 applications on OS 3.9 BB4 + AfA OS, everything works fine but I regret OS 3.9 GUI for their expandability (size adjustment).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 July 2021 at 07:04.
Old 04 July 2021, 12:39   #1410
Lisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
An installation of OS 3.2 on OS 3.9 is not a good thing in my opinion, the two systems have different and incompatible system localization files, so you will not be able to use OS 3.9 system applications anymore.

Also, if you use the Startu-sequence of OS 3.9 you won't be able to run native OS 3.2 applications even if you use KickStart 3.2.

Things will work for you if you delete the OS 3.9 startup-sequence but in my opinion you will always encounter other inconsistencies.

In my opinion a Clean OS 3.2 and integrated with supported Applications is the best solution, this is my OS 3.2 dressed in White, with Applications configured for OS 3.2, everything is fast and functional.
This is why I said that you must know what you are doing. If you do everything right and take care of all there is absolutely no difference in updating vs clean install and integrating it with supported applications. In fact I basically removed all system 3.9 files and leaved only what I wanted to maintain and known compatible. Obviously I used 3.2 startup-sequence and recustomized it. Locale support for old apps isn't a problem if you use English language. So even if I updated my previous 3.9 installation isn't that I just ran the 3.2 installation script over my previous vanilla install, it's more a manual installation that I performed and obviously you must know what are you doing. Don't forget that os installation on an Amiga is basically a mere copying of files with some scripts that modify some files in case they are already there.
Old 04 July 2021, 12:46   #1411
AMIGASYSTEM

The language type is not a problem, if you replace the entire Locale folder you will also have working Italian on OS 3.9, but you can't have it if you reuse native OS 3.9 applications, create two Local folders unless you modify some executable.

OS 3.2 is an update of OS 3.1 and even if it has many improvements it's still a less advanced OS than OS 3.9, having said that you can't install an "older" system on a newer one because in the end you'll gain some things but lose others.
Old 04 July 2021, 13:52   #1412
crazyc

Quote:
The language type is not a problem, if you replace the entire Locale folder you will also have working Italian on OS 3.9, but you can't have it if you reuse native OS 3.9 applications, create two Local folders unless you modify some executable.

OS 3.2 is an update of OS 3.1 and even if it has many improvements it's still a less advanced OS than OS 3.9, having said that you can't install an "older" system on a newer one because in the end you'll gain some things but lose others.
Just for information, in what ways is 3.2 less advanced than 3.9?
Old 04 July 2021, 14:58   #1413
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Programs like IconEdit and Installer are (currently) less advanced than the 3.9 versions, and certain others are absent. On the other hand the system libraries and classes are considerably more advanced.

Last edited by Minuous; 04 July 2021 at 15:05.
Old 04 July 2021, 22:31   #1414
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What I would like is a new OS3.9 with the improvements of 3.2
Old 05 July 2021, 19:17   #1415
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
I wouldn't call them the new standard. Classic or glowicons live side by side. I've contributed a lot of the new classic icons that are included in 3.2, and they are all drawn in the 3.2 IconEdit.
Nicely done classic icons, BTW.

Though admittedly, I personally enjoy the OS 3.5/3.9 GlowIcons and MagicWB drawers. I'm weird like that.
Old 05 July 2021, 19:25   #1416
bubbob42

Quote:

OS 3.2 is an update of OS 3.1 and even if it has many improvements it's still a less advanced OS than OS 3.9,
As Minuous already wrote we have 2(!) less advanced components in 3.2 compared to 3.9 and a few missing parts which are available from 3rd party in better/more recent versions. All other system components have been updated, including the most relevant parts like Intuition and GadTools which were expanded significantly over the 3.1 versions (there were no updates to these components in 3.5 or 3.9).

Please study the changelogs to get a deeper understanding of the changes. They can be found on the CD.
Old 05 July 2021, 19:28   #1417
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
All the current RKRMs seem to be available there. Which ones do you think are missing?
I'm thinking more of user manuals; a digital version of the Amiga 3000T is missing (print versions exist). Manuals for the GVP T-Rex I ('040) and T-Rex II ('060) are also missing.

I suspect a manual for the T-Rexx II was never made; it's possible GVP-m closed shop before it was done... though it's likely close enough to the T-Rexx I that it wouldn't matter much if the primary T-Rexx I manual was found.

There is a User's Guide Addendum for the T-Rex I (four pages, recently found and posted), but I've never seen the original full manual in print or online.

Last edited by gdonner; 05 July 2021 at 19:39.
Old 05 July 2021, 20:08   #1418
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
we have 2(!) less advanced components in 3.2 compared to 3.9
- several components in Prefs
- Exchange
- HDToolBox
- IconEdit
- Mounter
- Calculator
- Format

These are the ones I noticed.

[edit] Most of the 3rd party tools should, IMHO, continue their life as 3rd party components.

Last edited by Romanujan; 05 July 2021 at 20:13.
Old 06 July 2021, 00:42   #1419
bubbob42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
- several components in Prefs
Like? I only remember OS3.9 merging printer and printergfx prefs or something.

Quote:
- Exchange
Will get a Reaction GUI sooner or later (one of the tools which would really profit from it), functionality ought to be identical, though.

Quote:
- HDToolBox
True, albeit there’s not a lot of difference in functionality.

Quote:
- IconEdit
True, but there are available alternatives.

Quote:
- Mounter
Only difference is the GUI (3.2 version‘s not resizable). In return, you get bugfixes.

Quote:
- Calculator
Really?

Quote:
- Format
Again, 3.2‘s variant is the modern one here.

Quote:
[edit] Most of the 3rd party tools should, IMHO, continue their life as 3rd party components.
There is stuff like PlayCD ready to be backported from OS4, but it does not really have priority. The most missed tool was Amidock, until WBDock2 and Dockbot came along .
Old 06 July 2021, 09:09   #1420
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post

Please study the changelogs to get a deeper understanding of the changes. They can be found on the CD.
Sorry, but I don't entirely agree with you, as main system I still prefer to use Os 3.9 BB4 + AfA OS

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 July 2021 at 09:14.