English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 05 August 2017, 13:43   #1781
Xicorpt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Yeah a bad FPU can cause all sorts of issues.

I've seen people get masses of abuse for crowdfunding stuff. There is an expectation of delivery and timescales. Its not for me. Plus everyone wants to drive the creative direction which is already something i struggle to keep under control.

I want to find a way to give the Amiga community free and open source hardware that can be manufactured by anyone. I'd love people to contribute good things to the projects but I dont want forks. I'm happy to hand control of each boards development to a suitable person who will give it love while i work on the newer things.

For sure I will keep the gerbers, jeds and pdf schematics open. I consider the routing my artwork which i am not happy with with it being completely redone. changing a somthing like a 3x7mm xtal to a 2x5 xtal is fine but a substantive change is not and a complete reroute is unacceptable to me.

So i need to find a way to make all of this possible.

EDIT: I think i'll revise that.. I dont want a fork when that fork solves exactly the same problem as the original. So if someone took a TF530 and modified it to work on a Mac (as an example.. maybe it already does) then i'd be cool with that.
Certainly your right about crowdfunding, it can be frustrating to everyone.

There are many of us that would wish to help, and in my case, I don't have the skills to improve the project (hoping to segway into fpga and cpld). My intent was perhaps that we could share some of the cost.

Anyway I'm very thankful for you efforts, building my TF530 was a blast (except hunting for parts :-P)
Old 05 August 2017, 14:04   #1782
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xicorpt View Post
Certainly your right about crowdfunding, it can be frustrating to everyone.

There are many of us that would wish to help, and in my case, I don't have the skills to improve the project (hoping to segway into fpga and cpld). My intent was perhaps that we could share some of the cost.

Anyway I'm very thankful for you efforts, building my TF530 was a blast (except hunting for parts :-P)

I've done FPGA already. Not interested in putting it in a real Amiga. Too difficult to make it 100% compatible. Even the ARM cpu was an arse to validate 100% and it's much simpler than the stupidly over complicated 68K. For me it's about the originals software and hardware chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05 August 2017, 14:15   #1783
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilcas View Post
I'm using eproms with 3.1. No issues.

Rev 3 and 5 A500 boards are known to have issues with some EPROMS, requiring pull up resistors on some of the pins to alleviate.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=82824
Old 05 August 2017, 16:54   #1784
Xicorpt

Quote:
I've done FPGA already. Not interested in putting it in a real Amiga. Too difficult to make it 100% compatible. Even the ARM cpu was an arse to validate 100% and it's much simpler than the stupidly over complicated 68K. For me it's about the originals software and hardware chips.

I had the impression that the TF68040 would have an FPGA ... or was it a fat CPLD ?
Old 05 August 2017, 17:04   #1785
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
I had the impression that the TF68040 would have an FPGA ... or was it a fat CPLD ?
The FPGA was an SDRAM Controller. CPLDs arent generally good enough to do that. The CPLD was the bus marshaller. I suppose i should do an architecture video on it.
Old 05 August 2017, 17:12   #1786
Xicorpt

Update on the 68882 problem:

My rev6A amiga is running haply since the removal of the 68882 @ KS2.05 and KS 3.1, eider using original roms or eprom counterpart. I'm starting to believe that the 68882's I have are fake.
Old 05 August 2017, 17:15   #1787
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Update on the 68882 problem:

My rev6A amiga is running haply since the removal of the 68882 @ KS2.05 and KS 3.1, eider using original roms or eprom counterpart. I'm starting to believe that the 68882's I have are fake.

Ok thanks for that. I may build a TF530 with ISSI ram later

Old 05 August 2017, 20:07   #1788
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Ok thanks for that. I may build a TF530 with ISSI ram later

Small update,
was able to run one of my TF530 Rev.2 boards on 50Mhz. Works stable. Have currently 1.5Mb of fastram and 2Mb on TF530, so WHDLoad works (however can't run Frontier)

i have used 15ns memory chips to build this board, i can confirm there are no problems with them, so you can use these IC's with no risk

@plasmab
have also played with my second board, diagROM shows no memory faults (slow and fast mem testing), Workbench is starting normally, however, i can not run any game (different errors are shown), wanted to ask, what can cause that problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-05 21.25.58.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	54041  

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 05 August 2017 at 21:29.
Old 05 August 2017, 23:00   #1789
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post

@plasmab
have also played with my second board, diagROM shows no memory faults (slow and fast mem testing), Workbench is starting normally, however, i can not run any game (different errors are shown), wanted to ask, what can cause that problem?
WHDload games? Can you run system friendly apps without problems? WHDLoad problems can be because of numerous reasons. Is it same Amiga wich works nicely with other TF accelerator? Same OS install, not other devices installed or use?

If you are runnin Roadshow TCP/IP stack with Plipbox it prevents WHDLoad games to running etc. just one suggestion.
Old 05 August 2017, 23:32   #1790
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Small update,
was able to run one of my TF530 Rev.2 boards on 50Mhz. Works stable. Have currently 1.5Mb of fastram and 2Mb on TF530, so WHDLoad works (however can't run Frontier)

i have used 15ns memory chips to build this board, i can confirm there are no problems with them, so you can use these IC's with no risk

@plasmab
Frontier needs 1Mb of Chip to run in WHDLoad (i think). Try the floppy version.
Old 05 August 2017, 23:47   #1791
emufan

Quote:
however, i can not run any game (different errors are shown), wanted to ask, what can cause that problem?
I'm not sure, but there is WHDLoadCD32. may happen you should use this, instead of standard whdload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard-1.png
Views:	154
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	54045  
Old 06 August 2017, 03:29   #1792
alenppc

Quote:
Small update,
was able to run one of my TF530 Rev.2 boards on 50Mhz. Works stable.
Wow, that's impressive. I was unable to run rev 2s faster than 36 MHz, at 40 they boot, but crash and burn very shortly after. The fastest CPU I have is 33 MHz though, so that might be the reason. Even the floppy drive stops working at 40 MHz for some reason.
Old 06 August 2017, 10:26   #1793
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
WHDload games? Can you run system friendly apps without problems? WHDLoad problems can be because of numerous reasons. Is it same Amiga wich works nicely with other TF accelerator? Same OS install, not other devices installed or use?

If you are runnin Roadshow TCP/IP stack with Plipbox it prevents WHDLoad games to running etc. just one suggestion.
it's same Amiga and CF Card i use. Runs nice with one TF530 card without errors, and has issues with my second TF.. It's very strange, if i start Keirs memetest - it doesen't start and crashes immediately, games are not working ot this TF, diagROM shows no memory issues, so i am stuck at this point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Wow, that's impressive. I was unable to run rev 2s faster than 36 MHz, at 40 they boot, but crash and burn very shortly after. The fastest CPU I have is 33 MHz though, so that might be the reason. Even the floppy drive stops working at 40 MHz for some reason.
it was just about the price. i've paid 8€ for 40Mhz chips while ceramic CPU's was sold for 30€ and more... 40Mhz chips runin' nice at 50Mhz without heatsink, it's pretty warm, but not extremely hot. my riser boards isn't arrived yet, hence the housing isn't closed, i will apply heatsink on the CPU when i'm done.

I am wondering why Steve got more than 10 000 dhrystones on the same (48.40Mhz) frequency, while my board reaches 7600 only? What exactly causes these differences? RAM? Is it because of 15ns memory chips?

planning to buy some 60Mhz oscillators, however i think 40Mhz CPU will not be able to run on that speed (if i recall correctly - Stephen has tryed it on one stream, and this CPU failed to boot), so need to pick up a ceramic 50Mhz CPU too.
About FPU: will my 40Mhz FPU survive?
Question:
these black oszillators are crap?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/2x-Epson-SG80...-/281832718021
i recall Stephen has used them on one stream, but those wasn't good

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 06 August 2017 at 19:34.
Old 07 August 2017, 14:52   #1794
keith

Hi Guys I have a rev2 my second build @50mhz with a 50mhz rc gold cpu, I just get red screen tried without fpu, I do not have diag rom, red screep point's rom/kickstart. I have tried many different firmwares will try another cpu, any pointers if that's not working... ps rev6a mobo with 3.1 rom, and my other rev2 board works fine@24Mhz.
Old 07 August 2017, 19:53   #1795
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Hi Guys I have a rev2 my second build @50mhz with a 50mhz rc gold cpu, I just get red screen tried without fpu, I do not have diag rom, red screep point's rom/kickstart. I have tried many different firmwares will try another cpu, any pointers if that's not working... ps rev6a mobo with 3.1 rom, and my other rev2 board works fine@24Mhz.
Just swap the cpu, gold cpu should work on 24Mhz board (if this CPU is good)
I got red screen because my CPU socket was faulty, swapped out to turned pins, now works nice
Old 07 August 2017, 21:53   #1796
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Just swap the cpu, gold cpu should work on 24Mhz board (if this CPU is good)
I got red screen because my CPU socket was faulty, swapped out to turned pins, now works nice
Agreed. RED = a dead CPU, bad solder joint/contact or the CPU is running too fast (usually).
Old 08 August 2017, 18:24   #1797
plasmab
Banned

Another order of TF530 Rev 2s arrived and now available on a popular auction site
Old 08 August 2017, 19:05   #1798
kgc210

Thanks plasmab just bought 3 of them.
Look forward to playing with them.

Will keep an eye out for the CD32 ones. Would like one for my CD32 if it still works?
Old 08 August 2017, 19:47   #1799
keith

Thanks all!! got it going of sorts not the cpu but the amiga 68k socket, for some reason the 24Mhz accelerater pins hit a sweet spot, but not on the 50Mhz so gonna grab me a relocater & a nice gold turn pin socket!
Old 08 August 2017, 20:53   #1800
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Thanks all!! got it going of sorts not the cpu but the amiga 68k socket, for some reason the 24Mhz accelerater pins hit a sweet spot, but not on the 50Mhz so gonna grab me a relocater & a nice gold turn pin socket!
i had the same issue. don't forget - these sockets are more than 30 years old, it isn't big wonder that they are corroded and worn. Just swap that socket out, maybe Kickstart socket too, if You like to be sure, then You can swap all caps on MoBo and PSU, and You'll be on the better side of the moon with perfect A500 You can even imagine.