English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 18 September 2019, 09:54   #161
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
[...] -Regarding level 30 I was very pleased by the fact that I saw different and easy to perform solutions. I love both your method and John's, since both seem to include less steps than my solution and better timing. I think yours and (Capehorn's improvement) is the most elegant so far in terms of 'fast and safe' at the same time. [...]
Capehorn's blue blobs jailing is mega-cool as well !

Quote:
[...] -Regarding 31, the 3 solutions (other than mine) I've see so far (that includes yours, John's and Hipoonios') are all pretty much similar. Actually Alex also found that solution while we were playtesting the game but it was quite hard to perform, so we left it like that. I think in hindsight if I'd redesign the level, I would have made this route even harder/riskier, or cut it off as it completely bypasses the nice level/doors puzzle included. [...]
Speaking for me, this method is 100% sure. Impossible to die. The secret is to run diagonally-left (down, left, down, left) as soon as you have activated the switch on the top of the screen and to kill the blue blob as soon as you have the first sword (as it slightly stops the others blobs giving you, again, a run advantage )
I also have a solution in which I activate the switches differently. It improves a bit the timing but the start is the same. So for the one interested, you can try to figure it out .

Anyway, would enjoy seeing your full road with a different door opening at the start.

Quote:
[...] -Onto level 32, I think we've pretty much covered it. You've already proven you can do both ways with ease (for which I had no doubt), so kudos on that
It's worth noting here that both me and Alex consider this level to be one of the top 5 most difficult/tricky ones in the whole game. [...]
So your solution is the same as the one I recorded ?
Would also like to see other solution.

Regarding the difficulty, I agree. I spent some time before figuring out the road I follow .

Quote:
[...] -In level 33 I love how you deal with the blue blobs. Again a quite difficult feat imho. In my solution I charge full on, while shooting all the arrows first (killing the first left blue and 3 reds). [...]
Killing the blue blobs is the easiest part and work 100%
For the rest, one small part of it is, would estimate, 60% sure (until you get it and succeed at each go). Issue is with the remaining red blobs : If you wait too long after having activated the top switch on the left (I wait a bit against the wall and then go right), a red blob will run at you when you are on your way down on the right of the screen (the blob that is alone will not go up diagonally, but will go straight at you). If you succeed this small timing : solution is 100%.
But it's not harder than the "perfect" of level 11 (I consider it easier than the "perfect" of level 11) .

Again, I would love to see another solution as all my attempts to "charge full" were unsuccessful...

Quote:
[...] -With level 34 your solution is a lot like mine. However the level can be also solved by completely ignoring the upper two blue blobs, which makes it extremely easier (that's one extra detail in the design that could have been handled better btw). [...]
I agree. Anyway, I prefer to take care first of the two blue blobs on the top as the rest is more easy (it allows you to make a mistake, just in case ).

Quote:
[...] -Regarding level 24, the way you 'trap' the middle blob is pure genious, love it!
It does make the level a lot safer, but I've been able to score better times with it (while still making all reds go to sleep). Main difference is that I deal with the diamonds in the middle first. [...]
Please show me your 'faster' solution .
For me, this level was harder than levels 32 & 33 put together as there was ALWAYS a red blob running after me while I was on my way up after getting the diamonds (on the right or on the left, there was no difference). And since the path is narrow, "boum"...

Quote:
[...] -Lastly regarding level 14, this is definitely the one solution that gives you the best score overal (Hipoonios also uses the same method in his longplay). I always thought that it does require from the player to take a giant leap of faith, because it's quite risky to assume the reds won't follow and trap you. So it requires extreme precision and to be at the right place and the right time (and enemies as well) to pull this off successfully. Personally I preffer the more safe "stealthy" approch: keep the patroling enemies unaware of you, until the left gate is open.
Again, I consider this solution easier than the "perfect" of level 11 that I hardly try it any-more.
The timing tricky part is when you are going down on the left and you make the red blob that is going up on the right seeing you (let's call the place where you are "X"). Then you have to make a really really small stop close from the opening on the bottom (for the same blob not to see you) before running down.
If you do it right, the tree blobs will meet at "X" and you can be sure at 100% that, if you wait with the sword, against the barrier (you have to be waiting with the door open and the sword in hand before the blob pass the barrier on his way down - thus he will turn to be in front of you - 100 %), and none of them will hunt you down.
And yes, it requires practice. But as soon as you have it, it's a sure road .
But again, I would be please to see another "perfect" road .

Last edited by malko; 18 September 2019 at 12:52.
Old 18 September 2019, 20:09   #162
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Capehorn's blue blobs jailing is mega-cool as well !
Agreed, that's also mine and Alex's solution (with tiny variations)
Here are some extra solutions for a few levels you asked for:

Lv14

Lv24

Lv33
Old 18 September 2019, 21:59   #163
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Agreed, that's also mine and Alex's solution (with tiny variations) [...]
You are right. Sorry for the omission

Quote:
[...] Here are some extra solutions for a few levels you asked for [...]
level 14 : definitively a better road than my first try (post #26) that was too slow for a perfect. Cool !

level 24 : I did try a variation of this solution but never thought about it like that. Excellent !!!
And, it's definitively faster as you don't have to wait, like in mine, for the blobs to go down for a sleep. Don't think there is a faster solution. You have 7 seconds left... Brilliant !

level 33 : Hummm... I think I have to try it.
Remember trying something similar but always had 5 blobs following me to the sword's room... Thus, it was impossible to exit it.
I like it as it's a road without timing trick and cherry on the cake, you have 28 seconds left. Whaou !

Worthy is a game full of surprises as many roads are possible for a level. There is room for improving a road. It gives the game a huge lifespan !
Old 19 September 2019, 10:27   #164
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I am surprised the there isn't any new score being posted...
Personally still stuck trying to find a way to succeed reliably level 35 at each go (there is always one red blob who takes me on the other side... (no misguided minds)
Old 19 September 2019, 11:01   #165
john4p
Competition Moderator

The final season of The Bridge (Danish/Swedish crime series) and the second half of the fifth Vikings season (same scenery, but about 1000 years earlier) have kept me from playing.

I'll definitely invest time again into Worthy on Saturday. Impossible to catch you but I'll aim for 2nd place. Let's see how far rexsu can get with his limited playtime.

I'm sure I won't be able to beat the game at this weekend but we also have the Knockout in December which I'm going to vote Worthy for.
Old 19 September 2019, 11:49   #166
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

If level 35 resists like this, nor sure I can beat the game until this week-end.
Will try so let's see
Old 19 September 2019, 17:04   #167
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Are there any more people who want to join in with us this round?

Its been very quiet from the Rexsu camp recently. Just to remind any late contenders: "Please try not to hold on to scores until the last possible moment, in an effort to make your score unbeatable. This is bad form and not very sporting. "
Old 19 September 2019, 22:25   #168
capehorn

Old 20 September 2019, 06:24   #169
rexsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Are there any more people who want to join in with us this round?

Its been very quiet from the Rexsu camp recently. Just to remind any late contenders: "Please try not to hold on to scores until the last possible moment, in an effort to make your score unbeatable. This is bad form and not very sporting. "
Sorry but since a few rounds I play only a few days, I do not have time to play
I had to spend 2 to 3 times less time than last season!

Otherwise it's a nice surprise, it's a great puzzle game.
This game is polished to the extreme, the scoring is really taken into account in this game.
Thanks for the free copy, Tsak and Alpine9000.

40,280 and it's my highest score, no other scores in reserve
That said I would make some more attempts on friday night and saturday.

Very nice performance Malko, bravo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worthy-EAB-40280.png
Views:	57
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	64516  
Old 20 September 2019, 09:26   #170
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

A score under "emulation" would not be valid !?...
Okay, I'm going to stop playing Worthy, so...

Quote:
The fallen champion threatens the Guinness Book

Arcade legend Billy Mitchell, who lost his records for cheating in 2018, is threatening to take legal action if he is not cleared.

Controversial champion Billy Mitchell counter-attacks after having had all his records set in April 2018 at the cult games "Donkey Kong" and "Pac-man" withdrawn. Through her lawyers, the arcade legend, recognizable by her long hair and tie in the colours of the U.S. flag, published a 156-page document last week to prove his innocence. He threatens to file a complaint against Twin Galaxies, a site that lists all the top scores, as well as the Guinness Book, if he does not get his records back. The 54-year-old man gives his recipients two weeks to read the document and act within the time limit so that his image is restored.

Known in particular as the first player to score a perfect 3,333,360 points in the arcade game "Pac-man" in 1999, the player was accused by Twin Galaxies of using an emulator and not the original machine to achieve his various achievements. The same goes for his record of 1,047,200 points at "Donkey Kong", which was filmed during the shooting of the film "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" (2007), a documentary about Billy Mitchell's rivalry with player Steve Wiebe. As a result, his records were invalidated.

Picture caption :
Billy Mitchell is known to be the first player to score perfect on "Pac-man" in 1999, but the record was taken away from him in 2018. (dr)
Source : https://www.20min.ch/ro/multimedia/s...-Book-23212135
Old 20 September 2019, 09:30   #171
john4p
Competition Moderator

Knew he was a fraud. Anyone playing on emulators is a cheater!

edit: Never heard of that guy ("recognizable by her long hair"?). Sure he can replicate his efforts on a real arcade machine.
Old 20 September 2019, 11:16   #172
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Maybe deepl.com was misled by the long hair
Old 20 September 2019, 12:17   #173
john4p
Competition Moderator

Ah okay, the source is French. Other than that very impressive translator, good to know.

Last edited by john4p; 20 September 2019 at 12:30.
Old 20 September 2019, 16:23   #174
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Billy was not banned for using Emulators, he was banned for using savestates. We dont allow savestates in the compo, or for that matter, Action Replay saves or passwords etc. He recorded his plays on analogue film, which clearly changes score at some points, and characters disappear from one place and appear somewhere else. In the King of Kong video, it clearly shows that.

If he was legit, or if I was in his situation, I would put an arcade cab in the middle of a shopping precinct, and play it all day until I got that score, and in front of 100 witnesses. Then I would apply to Guinness armed with the new digitally recorded footage of the event, and claim legitimate rights. I would not give him back his title from the old footage, and moaning in court about it is not going to change that. He is just making himself more unpopular and broke.
Old 20 September 2019, 17:20   #175
john4p
Competition Moderator

Thanks for the info. Well, then he's a piece of $#@* after all.
Old 20 September 2019, 18:31   #176
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
Just pause at the start of these levels and try to remember how to do them.
Hmm.. I get a black screen with the "Pause" text when pressing the P key in the game. Is there some other option to pause it?
Old 20 September 2019, 19:20   #177
john4p
Competition Moderator

No, just take a quick look at it to remember what it's about, then pause and try to remember your best route in your mind.
Old 21 September 2019, 00:10   #178
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
Hmm.. I get a black screen with the "Pause" text when pressing the P key in the game. Is there some other option to pause it?
You're right. Pressing "P" turns the screen black and display the text "Paused".
As I play with WinUAE, I always use the "Pause/Break" key on my netbook keyboard. It pause the emulator, thus not turning black the game area.

So here are the 1st 36 levels (my maximum so far).
Hope it may help you remembering what is going to happen .

https://ibb.co/YNtq7Dy
(https : //i.ibb.co/b6r8gH2/worthy-36-levels.gif)

Last edited by malko; 21 September 2019 at 00:18.
Old 21 September 2019, 12:54   #179
john4p
Competition Moderator

^ Good job, nice collection (I won't use it though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As I play with WinUAE, I always use the "Pause/Break" key on my netbook keyboard. It pause the emulator, thus not turning black the game area.
Please change this habit as real Amiga users cannot do that.
So from now on always only use the Pause-function provided by the game. For most games it's P, a few others use Space, F10 or HELP (which is mapped by default to "PageDown" in WinUAE since PC keyboards don't have a help key).

Fortunately with Worthy you get a few seconds to study the level before your character appears. So use this time and then pause with P and remember your route if necessary.
Old 21 September 2019, 22:32   #180
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

sorry to be so late.
It's a good game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	255.png
Views:	54
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	64553