English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 16 November 2004, 17:20   #161
BippyM
Global Moderator

And in the UK another word for Donkey is Ass and Ass is also another word for Arse so in a round about way
Old 16 November 2004, 17:46   #162
dirkies
Zone Friend

French are not that smart in English , if they would have meant really ass(hole), he would have written:

celui qui crack Cabal est un TROU DE CUL
Old 16 November 2004, 18:13   #163
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hey I am not saying he meant asshole or arse or whatever

I am saying Codetapper was correct in a round about way
Old 16 November 2004, 19:41   #164
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Silly man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolismlf
These guys (the programmers) were right after all. Just think that the Gameboy (4 grey color machine!) was supported a long time after the Amiga died. Why? Because there was no piracy at all.
No piracy on the Gameboy? Oh dear oh dear oh dear... how little you know!
Old 13 December 2004, 12:53   #165
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Sorry Antiaction/Defjam.... you were never THAT good!
Yayaya, well, I am crushed

Old thread but I just found it... It was kind of funny (and at the same time embarrassing) reading that message though, I don't recall writing it.

FWIW, it sounds daft but yes I did actually at some point have a revelation while cracking Battle Squadron and decided that it was a totally rubbish thing to do -- so I stopped and diverted my energy elsewhere.

Old 13 December 2004, 13:28   #166
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

er? .. You didnt write it, Galahad/FLT did.

or am i missing something here ?
Old 13 December 2004, 14:16   #167
bionic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
er? .. You didnt write it, Galahad/FLT did.

or am i missing something here ?
I am, of course not-so-obviously, referring to the message earlier in the thread, from Alien Breed, which Mr. Galahad was referring to.

Anyways... back to work then

Old 19 December 2004, 04:04   #168
Acidman

OT

Antiaction this, and Defjam that. If one are to talk about swedish Amiga crackers, there are two that most swedish people generally remember: Ringo Starr and Gaston.

The real "hero" that probably 99% remember up here in the north though, is without doubt Mr Z / Triad (C64).

Old 21 December 2004, 16:51   #169
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Back to the Topic! - Messages in game code of Scorpion

Here's a short message found in the code of the Digital Magic game, Scorpion:

"I was a hacker once, but i'm better now."
Old 22 December 2004, 20:19   #170
PSW

Re : OT

Alot of really good people on the scene came from Sweden including Conqueror(Deep Core (written by Sauron) would have been a b.tch to crack except for the duplicators not been able to copy his long track format), Il Scuro and P.H.S.(his C64 emulator is really good)
There are interviews with a lot of these people, including AntiAction, done by Zike et al. on this page http://www.imr.c64.org/imr/zimr.htm.

Last edited by Paul; 23 December 2004 at 15:54. Reason: deleted a direct signature

Old 23 December 2004, 03:05   #171
IFW

Certainly you are better off understanding disk duplication, freeform and generally legal disk encoding that still remains readable after a few days _before_ doing your disk protection...
"Can't duplicate" refers to a format that simply cannot be described through freeform, it does not imply any way it is any good - in fact if it can't be described chances are it is not suitable for reliable mass duplication and customer use on a wide scale.
People sometimes tend to bend the reality slightly about how awesome this or that protection would have been "but they couldn't dupe it" (TM), but there are always very good reasons to reject duplicating and using such formats in commercial products.
Old 23 December 2004, 14:46   #172
PSW

Re :OT

I can't really remember exactly why they couldn’t copy Peter's (Conqueror) format, but I believe that he had checked with them before hand and they had said that it could be duplicated. It had to go on three disks instead of two, so all the long tracks and disk number protection checks when you opened a door where not a useful as they could have been. Anyway, everyone else was certainly concerned when it came out. To the point where they were calling certain other guys to find out what he'd done.

I have got to congratulate the C.A.P.S project for the all the work they have done in taking emulation to the next level.

Last edited by PSW; 23 December 2004 at 20:05.

Old 03 January 2005, 04:00   #173
girv
Mostly Harmless

From Codemasters' "Fast Food", hidden away in a compressed loader so probably only someone actually cracking the game would find it

Quote:
Project 66 (C) 1990 Codemasters software Ltd.
Programmed & Organized by Derek Leigh-Gilchrist.
Protection track (C) 1990 Rob Northern Computing LTD.

If any hackers are reading this then keep reading...

This protection has been developed by me (DEL/ANARCHY)
I know that it is very easy to crack BUT WAIT! I don't
want it cracked! I will lose money! So don't fuck me
about by cracking it.... If I do see any cracks of
CODEMASTERS games the pirate world is going to have a
big suprise...

You have been warned!
It asks you to telephone a premium rate number to get an activation code everytime (yes, every time) you boot the game. I think they must have been on some seriously perception altering drugs the night they thought that one up! Maybe I should call it now to see if I can get a code

FWIW HOL lists Fast Food as (c) 1992 not 1990 as above. I was curious how it could have appeared on the 1991 Dizzy Collection 2 a year before it was first published
Old 03 January 2005, 07:18   #174
IFW

Erm... not at all
The red number is asked _only_ if it is a copy.
This includes Fast Food and many other titles.

Just load with normal setting an ipf it will never ever ask you a code, boot with drive speed changed and you'll be prompted to call the number for an activation code.
Imho very nice, you can copy the game if you want to, just need to pay a small sum to play it.
Old 03 January 2005, 09:31   #175
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

John, you really should know your protections better!

The TAS system (Telephone Authorisation System) uses Rob Northens Copylock, if it fails the serial check, then the TAS only boots up because of this, if the protection gets the correct serial key, it doesn't boot up like Istvan said.

Even a complete novice could crack it by accident, surely the worst implementation of RNC Copylock that gives wannabe crackers their first chance.
Old 03 January 2005, 18:42   #176
girv
Mostly Harmless

I had made an ADF from my original disk and run in in WinUAE and then, since I'd never run into TAS before, assumed that it always popped up and not just if the serial check failed. Now that I know how it is supposed to work I agree, it is a neat idea. I take it all back Code Masters, you weren't on crack that night.

It was woefully easy to crack as you say GHD. Did you mean TAS games in general or have you cracked Fast Food yourself in the past?

REPT 100
dc.b "I must not post at 3am",13,10,0
ENDR
Old 03 January 2005, 20:47   #177
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I can't specifically remember doing Fast Food, but all TAS 'protected' games are cracked the same way.

The whole problem with TAS is that you can crack it two ways, either crack the Copylock or crack the TAS itself to accept any code to continue, as an introduction to cracking, TAS is excellent for the wouldbe cracker, but as a protection in itself, its not excellent at all.
Old 17 January 2005, 16:46   #178
derSammler

From the game "Rockford":

Quote:
Greetings to all you budding hackers out there, I hope you
find this a little difficult to crack, 'though knowing you
Tim it probably won't take much longer than 15 minutes!

I must apologise for the use of amigados file format, but we
were in a bit of rush and we needed to get it out on time, so
we couldn't be bothered to use Trackdisk or do our own disk
format. Never fear though! I have nearly perfected my mega-hard-to-hack
disk format that I may use on future Melbourne House/Mastertronic
games, to add a little spice to your lives!

In the meantime, dig out Devpac, put the black coffee on, and get to
work!

So, a big round "Rot In Hell" to:
J0lly R0ger (of BAUG), Kent Team (& Bamiga Sector One), Star Frontiers,
Tel, The cat, and all you other budding hackers out there..

Love, kisses, and Cyanide,

Richard..

P.S. Jason Hattrell- go fuck yourself..!
Old 07 June 2005, 18:17   #179
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Belial © 1989 ECP

Here's a message from coder, Robert Richardson, of this obscure Aussie game and poor man's Ghosts 'n' Goblins clone, Belial:

Crackers and Ascii modifiers: don't stuff around with this game and definately don't spread it around Australia. The Australian software market is too small already and spreading this game will probably stop us writing more software later. Overseas I don't care but not Australia... OK?
Robert.

Last edited by DrBong; 07 June 2005 at 18:23.
Old 07 June 2005, 18:51   #180
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Here's a message from coder, Robert Richardson, of this obscure Aussie game and poor man's Ghosts 'n' Goblins clone, Belial:

Crackers and Ascii modifiers: don't stuff around with this game and definately don't spread it around Australia. The Australian software market is too small already and spreading this game will probably stop us writing more software later. Overseas I don't care but not Australia... OK?
Robert.
That's rich.... he rips off Ghosts n Goblins and then asks people not to rip him off.... what a hypocrit!