English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 27 April 2007, 22:58   #161
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Hey guess what?

The missing piece is GOOD DoIO() still says 'error' but it's loading what looks like nice data Maybe DoIO always thinks CDXL tracks are errored as there is NO error correction?... Still, this is some good progress I think

I'll wait to hear back from Toni before I start dumping in case there are any tests he wants me to do. As once I start dumping the CD will be "unavailable" for a while

Big kudos to Toni for finding the hidden command
Old 27 April 2007, 23:00   #162
DamienD
Banned

Wow!!! Don't really won't to repeat the post made only a few minutes ago but...

Old 27 April 2007, 23:08   #163
thor

Thanks musashi5150 and Toni.

@Damien: Not sure why you've put my name between the two great guys. I've sent the CD to musashi on purpose, so I don't have to do anything
Old 27 April 2007, 23:24   #164
DamienD
Banned

You've just answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
I've sent the CD to musashi on purpose
...and besides that you've given technical input
Old 27 April 2007, 23:24   #165
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

C'mon thor, you're just as much a part of this as anyone else - without you there would be no project
Old 27 April 2007, 23:28   #166
thor

Ok, I admit that I was just fishing for compliments

musashi and Toni really should get all praise
Old 28 April 2007, 13:39   #167
viddi

And what about me?

I started this thread!

All I can do is again. THANKS musashi, Toni and thor !!!
Old 28 April 2007, 18:16   #168
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
No thor, you MUST be named too!
A 100% undamaged version of this game is VERY rare and you had it!
Getting the game off ebay may not be the biggest problem of all, but some ppl really do not know how to treat CDTV CDs ...
Old 01 May 2007, 18:35   #169
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Don't know if you still want to copy the CD, but your best bet is to copy the CD using CloneCD and select to copy subchannel data (some copy protection and CD+G karaoke title use this), copy as RAW, and for some titles you will have to set to ignore errors as that is part of the copy protection. Although CDTV used copy protection???

Also, not all CD copiers are alike. The later DVD-rewriters are usually better or Plextor SCSI. This way you could make a copy of the original for backup. I know that Liteon DVD-rewriters of 2-3 yrs old are great for backups. They also have a program called k-probe that analyses the CD disc for hard and soft read errors, letting you know if the cd is so bad that the drive is correcting errors for you (which you dont usually know about), etc, as there is some redundancy built in.

If the disk is damaged, then once you have got all the data you can get, maybe you can try one of those cd cleaners?

Maybe the CDXL tracks are subchannel data, hence they are always erred. If my memory serves me correctly, the CD read does not always return the same info when reading these tracks and the CD player fixes it up for you or reads it multiple times. Copiers even have options to correct the subchannel data or not. Hence to copy such a CD maybe you need to use the tips I suggested above.

Here is a brief attempt of someone to copy subchannel data (sorry best i could find with quick search):
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t53910.html

If I have gone off on a tangent, please ignore! Just trying to suggest help from a different angle.

Edit: Okay, so the actual CDXL file might not be stored in subchannel data, but who knows if some CDTV titles use this area.

Last edited by Calgor; 01 May 2007 at 18:55.
Old 01 May 2007, 20:39   #170
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Thanks for your input Calgor - all points of view are appreciated here. Although in this case Toni and I have a theory that the problem with the disc is due to a mastering error. And because the CDTV drive is pretty dumb it manages to read the disc ok But for the record I tried CloneCD (along with many other packages) and nothing could image the disc.

On another note - sorry for the delay in action on this project, I've been a bit busy in "real life" over the last couple of days. But dumping of the CDXL tracks started today!

It's going to take a long time to image the CD - but you guys will be first to know. Toni suggests to image the disc at least 3 times (to try and detect any errors as the tracks have NO error correction) which is probably a good idea... huuuuu

But rest assured 'something' is happening here

I just hope I can use my USB interface and WinUAE to read the data from the A600s harddrive... or I'll get serial rage
Old 02 May 2007, 08:58   #171
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

If CloneCD cannot copy it, I suggest that your CD hardware or software configuration is the problem. Done properly, mastering errors do not cause the copy to not work (AFAIK). If the CD is damaged that is more likely to stop the copying.

It has been shown that no single program can copy all CDs, you often need to use one software to copy one type of cd, and another software to copy another type.

What is your hardware cd copier (make, model, firmware version) you are trying to copy with and I can check for you what your hardware's capabilities are, and maybe give suggestion what software and exact software settings to use.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:02   #172
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I still think it must be mastering error because even request to get full 2352 byte sector (or only subchannel or C2) results in CRC error result from Windows IOCTL-call.. (IOCTL_CD_RAW or something, don't remember). Seems to point in error in lower level data.

Tested with modified WinUAE + original CD.

Of course problem also can be caused by CD/DVD drive firmware bug..
Old 02 May 2007, 09:08   #173
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Also other people (not just me) have tried to image this before and failed... but I'll dig out my drive info later when I'm at home.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:38   #174
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

One possibility that you cannot play this CDTV disc on your CD drive or copy it properly is because it stores information in subchannel data the same way that Karaoke CD+G discs do and why many CD players also cannot play (or copy) these discs. You also need to copy at a LOWER speed (not the maximum) to successfully copy these discs. (This is why some ppl may find older drives working "better").

I have found that the CDTV (and CD32) is infact capable of playing Karaoke CD+G discs, and as such could theoretically use the subchannel data for other purposes:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/amiga/CD32-FAQ/part1/

As an example, the very popular Pioneer dvd writers cannot read CD+G discs.

Just a real possibility why many may not have been able to copy the discs properly despite using many software.

Anyway, let me know your model when you get home.

Edit: As an aside, note that the subchannel data is in addition to the 2352 RAW data. There are up to 96 bytes of subchannel data. And I believe if you copy it, there is no need for things such as a PSX mod-chip: http://knowhow.cdfreaks.com/article.php?ID=119
cdfreaks is an excellent site and has excellent forums on CD information.

Last edited by Calgor; 02 May 2007 at 09:47.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:48   #175
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

I remembered my drive details are available in my order history from eBuyer

This is what I have:

LG GDR-8164BL 16x52 DVD-ROM Internal IDE
LG GSA-4167BAL 16x DVD±RW Dual Layer Internal IDE
Old 02 May 2007, 10:39   #176
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor
One possibility that you cannot play this CDTV disc on your CD drive or copy it properly is because it stores information in subchannel data the same way that Karaoke CD+G discs do and why many CD players also cannot play (or copy) these discs. You also need to copy at a LOWER speed (not the maximum) to successfully copy these discs. (This is why some ppl may find older drives working "better").
It still does not explain why user data fails to read with crc error. Data in subchannel has "nothing" to do with user data. It can't be caused by too high speed either (retrying didn't help) and I think speed is irrelevant in non-crappy modern drives (perhaps this "semi-myth" was started when first 10x+ drives appeared, most of them were quite unreliable crap, same with first "high" speed writers..)

btw, yes, both CDTV and CD32 do support CD+G subchannel data (which is not emulated because I don't have any CD+G discs) but in this case game only asks for 2336 byte sector and it does not enable subchannel hardware (CDTV has separate serial to parallel converter in hardware, standard TTL-chips.., that handles subchannel data)

Quote:
Edit: As an aside, note that the subchannel data is in addition to the 2352 RAW data. There are up to 96 bytes of subchannel data.
Trying to read only the subchannel failed with exact same error.

Perhaps there is some "simple" explanation or it is mastering error that accidentally works with CDTV drive..

Quote:
And I believe if you copy it, there is no need for things such as a PSX mod-chip.
No, this is extra protection that the game checks after booting (after modchip has done its job)
Old 02 May 2007, 10:54   #177
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Your 4167 supports DAO RAW and CD+G and I think also DAO/96 (i.e. all subchannel data). These options also need to be selected in the copying program, and the copying program should also show which is supported. BlindWrite v5+ is a good alternative to CloneCD.

Not sure about the other one. Usually the DVD writer is better at copying.

It is good to try copying in the following order:
1. CloneCD: DAO-RAW/96, read subchannel data and write uncorrected, fast error skip enabled, intelligent bad sector scanner enabled and set to 100 error skip, amplify weak sectors disabled
2. As 1, but amplify weak sectors enabled
3. As 1, but emulate option (not sure where this is?)
4. BlindWrite: same options as 1

These are with 3 year old programs, so newer options may exist, as that was when I got my hardware/software for these tasks (I use LiteON SOHW-812S). Some disks with lots of intentional errors may take up to 1 hour to copy.

Good luck if you have time, I think there is no harm in trying.

Edit: Appears Toni has cleared up the subchannel bit, I have little knowledge of any CDTV/CD32 title layout. But the copying method above may still (hopefully) be able to copy the disc. Weak sectors is when the disc is not written correctly and will return read errors (and used in some copy protection).

Last edited by Calgor; 02 May 2007 at 11:05.
Old 06 May 2007, 18:52   #178
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

The first videotrack has now been dumped and I'm starting on the next one (there are 3). The data could turn out to be a load of rubbish... but fingers crossed it isn't.

It took 5 days 24/7. As the others are a similar size, I expect the next one to be done around the end of next week
Old 06 May 2007, 19:15   #179
tteich

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashi5150
The first videotrack has now been dumped and I'm starting on the next one (there are 3). The data could turn out to be a load of rubbish... but fingers crossed it isn't.

It took 5 days 24/7. As the others are a similar size, I expect the next one to be done around the end of next week
Holy!!! You are a hero! Just curious: isn't there any other network option? I have an A4000 with Ethernet card. what kind of machine do you use that has only a serial port? if it turns out that the data are corrupted, could we try to dump it on another machine?
Old 06 May 2007, 21:08   #180
nujack
Zone Friend

Perfect!!!
Thank you very much musashi5150.
But do you know if it is possible to use the CDTV-drive in a standard PC or Amiga-Tower? Maybe that would be an option to speed up this procedure.