English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 01 June 2018, 19:32   #161
LeCaravage

I put 15 euros in the pot.
If I had to set up a game dev compet I'd probably let everybody enter -ie no minimum config- and no categories. It would attract more competitors and the diversity of games would increase.
If the ogarnisers choose this, of course it needs to judge games on their elements of playfulness mainly, over the technical aspect. But, I'm not organiser, that's only my point of view.

A game competition would be a nice engine for the Amiga.
Old 01 June 2018, 19:56   #162
Alpha One

Nice idea, I put 50 EUR into the pot. Long live Amiga!
Old 02 June 2018, 00:15   #163
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Ok, so far we have:

E-Penguin 10 Euros
LeCaravage 15 Euros
Alpha One 50 Euros

Would someone set up a page (maybe here at Abime.net ?) and organize rules, schedule, etc?

I noticed MSX Dev actually goes on for 11 months, not just 6 months. But we can choose our own rules

I don't take part in organizing it because I'd rather participate developing a game for it, and I guess people in the organization shouldn't be allowed to enter the contest
Old 02 June 2018, 00:19   #164
robinsonb5

I'm happy to put 50 EUR in the pot too.
Old 02 June 2018, 00:34   #165
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
I'm happy to put 50 EUR in the pot too.
50 quid here too (i guess euros).
Old 02 June 2018, 00:47   #166
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

E-Penguin 10 Euros
LeCaravage 15 Euros
Alpha One 50 Euros
McGeezer 50 Euros
Robisonb5 50 Euros
Old 02 June 2018, 11:19   #167
DamienD
Banned

Ok, you can put me down for €200
Old 02 June 2018, 11:53   #168
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
E-Penguin 10 Euros
OK now I feel cheap - better up that to €20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaMax View Post
You're the first adult I ever heard claim to never have completed a game.
I just never really had the skills or patience to see it through. I only ever got past level 1 by cheating, on most games. I enjoy playing the games, I just suck at it.

Last edited by E-Penguin; 02 June 2018 at 11:54. Reason: I completed Halo 1 on xbox, with much assistance in collaborative mode
Old 02 June 2018, 16:50   #169
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Wow DamienD, that's a very nice contribution

E-Penguin 20 Euros
LeCaravage 15 Euros
Alpha One 50 Euros
McGeezer 50 Euros
Robisonb5 50 Euros
DamienD 200 Euros
Total so far: 385 Euros

can someone setup a Paypal account so we can gather all donations somewhere? (I also can do it if no one steps in)

I really don't want to setup the contest since I want to take part of it, but if no one steps up I'll end up doing it

Those are some things I've been thinking about rules:

* for a first edition, while I like the idea of the 3 different categories, I also agree it could be better to have just a single "Anything goes" category, and we expect the Jury to consider if the game asks too much hardware to deliver too little one aspect to judge the games.

* Games should be distributed in .ADF format and should be 100% free in digital format. I dunno what you guys think about the devs releasing the games they use on the contest on physical format (charging for the game obviously), and if the devs could ask for donations or a fee to register, AS LONG AS the game has all features and it's 100% playable from a 100% free version. (Registering could just add the name of the user in the game or soemthing like this).

* We have to consider if games should be all made by a single guy or if teams can be assembled, and if teams should have a size limit.

* If free assets can be used on the game and if this would have an impact on the final grade or not.

* Duration of the contest... when do we start, when do we begin receiving entries and when do we end

* Do we have a jury (and who wants to be part of it - MSX Dev don't let any donors or participants of the contest to be part of it?) or games will be judged by the whole community? (I'd prefer the Jury way). How will the grading be done? - I thought each juror could grade the game in 4 aspects:
Graphics (0 to 5), Sound (0 to 5), Technical Aspects (0 to 5) and Gameplay (0 to 15). This would give a total of 30 possible points for each game (from each juror) , giving more weight for how well the game plays and how fun it its than the other aspects.

Or maybe each member of the jury could just give a 0 to 10 grade for each game, add the grades of each member and you have a final score.

* How will the prizes be given? (I like the MSX dev format.. 1st place get 50% of the donations, 2nd place gets 30% and 3rd place gets 20%). I'd like to add that I see no problem of a donor also being a contestant.

Any considerations / ideas?
Old 02 June 2018, 17:20   #170
Ian
Global Moderator

When everything is finalised, I suggest a new thread in the eab.competitions section to manage entries and such.

To stop it getting ridiculously messy though, I'd would recommend one post per entrant, and they just edit when they have news/screenshots to add and such.

This thread here could continue for the discussion though.

Example, Shatterhand edits his post in the competition thread, posts in here detailing his update etc.

Don't know what you guys think?
Old 02 June 2018, 17:32   #171
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I guess that's a very good idea

Though if this becomes an yearly event, we will need a new thread every year
Old 02 June 2018, 17:43   #172
E-Penguin
Banana

How about we start with three categories but have a minimum entries (3?), which if not met is merged to the next closest.

I'd like to allow the use of publicly available resources, primarily because I don't think I can make a mod more complex than baa baa black sheep... Such reuse should be noted by the developer and considered in the scoring.

Limit 2 entries per competitor?
Old 03 June 2018, 00:34   #173
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
How about we start with three categories but have a minimum entries (3?), which if not met is merged to the next closest.

I'd like to allow the use of publicly available resources, primarily because I don't think I can make a mod more complex than baa baa black sheep... Such reuse should be noted by the developer and considered in the scoring.

Limit 2 entries per competitor?
I am ok with all this. I can't do a mod properly either too.

That's why I thought we could accept teams instead of just single entries. I don't expect one single person to be able to design games, write code, draw graphics , make music and do everything properly
Old 03 June 2018, 00:40   #174
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I am ok with all this. I can't do a mod properly either too.

That's why I thought we could accept teams instead of just single entries. I don't expect one single person to be able to design games, write code, draw graphics , make music and do everything properly
What about ports?

Can you take a game from another platform, reuse all assets gameplay etc?

How is this judged versus a completely original game?
Old 03 June 2018, 03:56   #175
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I wouldn't have a problem with ports either, though I guess the entry would lose some points for lack of originality I'd guess.
Old 03 June 2018, 04:39   #176
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

In this case a split would be logical I think. A port should compete against other ports not against original games cause the criteria here are completely different.

And since this is moving forwards, we could also do a couple of polls to define the rules.
Old 03 June 2018, 05:12   #177
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
In this case a split would be logical I think. A port should compete against other ports not against original games cause the criteria here are completely different.

And since this is moving forwards, we could also do a couple of polls to define the rules.
Yeah, def don’t want to disqualify ports, all games should have a place if possible.
Old 03 June 2018, 10:15   #178
Lazycow

3 categories for ports and 3 categories for non-ports? How many participants do you expect?

I'm suggesting to avoid special handling for ports. (and try to avoid many categories for the same reason)

edit: What about a compromise?
category1: A500, 68k, 512k chipmem, 512k slowmem, no ports allowed
category2: A1200, 68030+fastmem allowed, ports allowed

Last edited by Lazycow; 03 June 2018 at 11:34.
Old 03 June 2018, 12:33   #179
majikeyric

why making distinction with ports ? it requires as many hours of work than any other games.

Then why not making different categories for ASM, Amos or Blitz projects ?

Only hardware requirement should be retained.
Old 03 June 2018, 12:53   #180
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikeyric View Post
why making distinction with ports ? it requires as many hours of work than any other games.

Then why not making different categories for ASM, Amos or Blitz projects ?

Only hardware requirement should be retained.
I’m not making a case for a different category for ports, but depending on the source of the port, it could be considerably less work.

If you can re-use art assets vs spending countless hours on original pixel gfx.

Level/world design again, a port can give you proven working/fun levels compared with designing original stuff.

But then again if your port is a port from a higher spec system it might be more work to get it all working on Amiga hardware than if you designed a game with Amiga hardware in mind. Graphics might be just as much work as doing them from scratch etc.